Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AUTOPILOT LANE DETECTION DISPLAY in MODEL 3 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To each his own, but I find it very important to know what information the car has. I monitor the AP info constantly to determine when I might need to intervene. I would consider the lack of that information altogether as an unwelcome change from the S/X. But I'm one of those crazy people that thinks there was originally a HUD that got scrapped/delayed for production schedule:)

Yes! The HUD brotherhood remains strong.

• Funny
Reactions: rcarpen22 and JeffK
To each his own, but I find it very important to know what information the car has. I monitor the AP info constantly to determine when I might need to intervene. I would consider the lack of that information altogether as an unwelcome change from the S/X. But I'm one of those crazy people that thinks there was originally a HUD that got scrapped/delayed for production schedule:)

You mean you constantly take your eyes off the road. Might as well be reading text messages too.

The display is not necessarily going to warn you ahead of time if it does something suddenly. What would warn you is the feel of the steering wheel and the view of the external environment. As a human you can see miles down the road and know what's going on in your environment naturally long before any current autopilot system. You can recognize more objects, like say the side of a truck, etc.

The very best feedback isn't going to be the screen, it's going to be your eyes and your hands (assuming they're on the wheel.)

You mean you constantly take your eyes off the road. Might as well be reading text messages too.

The display is not necessarily going to warn you ahead of time if it does something suddenly. What would warn you is the feel of the steering wheel and the view of the external environment. As a human you can see miles down the road and know what's going on in your environment naturally long before any current autopilot system. You can recognize more objects, like say the side of a truck, etc.

The very best feedback isn't going to be the screen, it's going to be your eyes and your hands (assuming they're on the wheel.)

Yes, I frequently look at the screen, which necessitates looking away from the road. I think your response is a little dramatic. It's not dangerous to glance at the cluster. That's why the information is there. I am a hobby racer, so I am very sensitive to the importance of situational awareness.

We're going to have to agree to disagree about the usefulness of the information. I think it's very helpful to know what the car sees and I believe this can assist in making a good decision about taking over from AP. Also, you seem to insinuate that one must either use their eyes or use the screen. That's not true. In my opinion, the best way to monitor the car's operation is to use all available information, including what the car sees and does not see. Honestly, and I understand that reasonable minds can disagree, but it's a bit silly to try to argue with someone over what information they find useful in a given situation. If you don't find that info useful, of course you will not mind if the Model 3 doesn't offer that. However, the OP does to seem to value that information and has asked a reasonable question. I do not believe that telling OP that his/her opinion is invalid because that info is objectively (in your opinion) not useful is really all that helpful. That said, I really can relate to being a Tesla apologist. I very frequently find myself in that role as well when "outside" of the Tesla community. I find it less necessary to doggedly defend the brand in this forum, as most folks here are already pretty huge fans of the company.

To each his own, but I find it very important to know what information the car has. I monitor the AP info constantly to determine when I might need to intervene. I would consider the lack of that information altogether as an unwelcome change from the S/X.

I agree here. I’m not sure I monitor AP constantly, but I definitely do glance at the display at times while AP is on. Particularly when the lines on the road are questionable just to assure myself that AP is able to see the lines and that what AP sees agrees with reality. While in the future I do see less of a need for that info I think currently it is very good to have.

To channel my inner Elon -- do you need to see the AP display when in a cab??

In all seriousness, FSD is just around the corner, right? So there's nothing to worry about...

No, seriously serious -- I had my HW2 vehicle for almost 2 months before AP was available and I survived staring at wiggling lines that had nothing to do with reality so I'm sure M3 owners might have to deal with many months or years waiting for FSD before they can confidently engage AP (we don't even know if EAP will be offered for M3 --maybe its FSD or nothing).

we don't even know if EAP will be offered for M3 --maybe its FSD or nothing
I'm hoping this is the case to simplify things and I think it's in the consumer's best interest as far as safety. You either have it or you have just the safety features. I can already imagine some people becoming confused about what was purchased and capabilities later on such as trusting EAP because they thought they got FSD etc.