Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it's a camera, always has been.

I stand corrected. Thank you.

From the Model S manual:

--
*Model S has a rain sensor located on the inside of the windshield at the base of the interior mirror.
--

Ironically, I read that in the manual just last night. My wife and I had been having a discussion about the wiper modes, while we were out, because she doesn't like the auto-sensing, and hasn't been using those modes. So I had gone to the manual to read up on the wiper modes, and had actually read the above line. Somehow I had taken it to mean the sensor was at the base of the windshield, on the --outside-- of the car, for some inexplicable reason.

I just went to find it, to prove my point, since I had just read it! (That didn't turn out too well. :) )

About the dual camera's heres a pic that should clear it up..

Try1xmHl_NigB4wug-kpjyyOtQFMhkzsfnzSCN-O4AnJIDFI6OFrtJo9GKjUy2SBmFIO6bppF4FRajKD4x=w1199-h799-no.jpg

About the dual camera's heres a pic that should clear it up..

Try1xmHl_NigB4wug-kpjyyOtQFMhkzsfnzSCN-O4AnJIDFI6OFrtJo9GKjUy2SBmFIO6bppF4FRajKD4x=w1199-h799-no.jpg

Notice also that the Founder's cars appear to have the same, dysfunctional defrost vents as the early Model S deliveries, unless they've changed something about that diffuser.

I'm pretty sure that if the Founder's cars don't have stereoscopic cameras, based on this photo on Tesla's Model X page their cars may need a retrofit soon:

Untitled-1.jpg

Notice also that the Founder's cars appear to have the same, dysfunctional defrost vents as the early Model S deliveries, unless they've changed something about that diffuser...
Those hidden defrost vents are the most wonderful thing about my Model S Signature vehicle. The screen material hardly reflects onto the windshield. Every time I drive a loaner Model S, I see those air vents reflected in the glass. They are GONE with that screen material that was designed to hide them. With the new panoramic Big Sky windshield, I hope the screen material is on my Model X Signature!

Those hidden defrost vents are the most wonderful thing about my Model S Signature vehicle. The screen material hardly reflects onto the windshield. Every time I drive a loaner Model S, I see those air vents reflected in the glass. They are GONE with that screen material that was designed to hide them. With the new panoramic Big Sky windshield, I hope the screen material is on my Model X Signature!

Agree. Main reason I never got the retrofit.

I just hope that they've solved whatever issues they had with that diffuser screen in the Model S, it didn't work very well.

I just hope that they've solved whatever issues they had with that diffuser screen in the Model S, it didn't work very well.
The software upgrade that helped was the multiple settings for the defroster. I am still enjoying the diffuser screen and consider it a major plus because of the absence of reflections. I value that for 99.9% of the driving compared with the .01% when I need to defog and it isn't working perfectly.

(When I saw the screen in Elon's Model X, my opinion was that he might not like the reflections of the vents and is willing to have less air flow for visual daytime windshield perfection.)

Notice also that the Founder's cars appear to have the same, dysfunctional defrost vents as the early Model S deliveries, unless they've changed something about that diffuser.

I'm pretty sure that if the Founder's cars don't have stereoscopic cameras, based on this photo on Tesla's Model X page their cars may need a retrofit soon:

View attachment 96209

This is huge, if correct. Do we yet have any verification that the X has dual front facing radar units?

But systems that make it harder to inadvertently depart from your lane are very different from what Tesla is talking about here. Tesla is proposing a system that isn't just a back-up; it's a system that affirmatively encourages you to pay less attention to driving. That's its key feature. That's the value add that Tesla is promising.

I'm not a huge proponent of cruise control, either, but there's a big difference between this and cruise control. People WILL use this for texting and checking Facebook, which isn't really something you can do with cruise control.
Just to veer back to safety with autopilot driver assist features, i think its noteworthy to review the fact that many large people_moving systems are already automated. For example in the subways of major cities, trains are totally automatically controlled that move hundred of people. Sometimes the ones that do still use a human fail precisely due to that human error (recent train accident related to excessive speed).

Airplanes use autopilot and automatic navigation extensively. Billion dollar spacecraft, to go on, etc.

So yes the sooner we can remove or limit potential human error or incapacity due to seizure, narcolepsy, etc., the better because the benefits quickly outweigh the risks with private autos IMO.