Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A 2 second blurb about Tesla's upcoming "autopilot" feature and that was it!? Boy, I wonder if Google & Mercedes paid to have their cars featured?
MobileEye is the company to beat in autonomous driving. They license their tech to automakers representing 60% of industry units. Toyota is the notable holdout. Mercedes is one of the only automakers working on their own solution from the ground up. Google is taking a completely different approach so might enable them to leapfrog the others. Tesla really isn't the innovator in the space - they work more closely with MobileEye than any other automaker, so that's what enables them to get things first.. But Tesla's Lane keep feature will be available in other high end cars over the next 12 months or so. Would be interested in confirming that if anyone has more info

MobileEye is the company to beat in autonomous driving. They license their tech to automakers representing 60% of industry units. Toyota is the notable holdout. Mercedes is one of the only automakers working on their own solution from the ground up. Google is taking a completely different approach so might enable them to leapfrog the others. Tesla really isn't the innovator in the space - they work more closely with MobileEye than any other automaker, so that's what enables them to get things first.. But Tesla's Lane keep feature will be available in other high end cars over the next 12 months or so. Would be interested in confirming that if anyone has more info

I think what is happening is that Tesla and other are using Mobileye to varying degrees. Mobileye probably provides the sensors and imaging firmware. It is unclear how much of the application programing, if any, Mobileye provides to tesla.

Tesla is willing to risk delivering more functionality to the end user. Tesla will probably take the autonomous driving lead in the few months, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are the furthest along in development. Traditional auto makers are going to go as slow as possible, of course.

The upside for Tesla is gaining experience with civilians using this advanced technology. Hopefully accidents won't be too frequent. The thread of the guying rear ending stopped traffic (in Turkey?) while using adaptive cruise controls is perhaps an indicator of the near future.

Do this look like current firmware or v7?
ui_option_da02_3_large.jpg
ui_option_da02_2_large.jpg

Those hidden defrost vents are the most wonderful thing about my Model S Signature vehicle. The screen material hardly reflects onto the windshield. Every time I drive a loaner Model S, I see those air vents reflected in the glass. They are GONE with that screen material that was designed to hide them. With the new panoramic Big Sky windshield, I hope the screen material is on my Model X Signature!

Try a quality pair of polarized sunglasses. Completely eliminates glare and reflections on the windshield. I can't drive without them.

Do this look like current firmware or v7?
View attachment 96950View attachment 96951
That's V7
If this is what people are complaining about, I don't really understand. It looks great, and functional. Gimmie!

Neither actually. That is the demo of v7 from 2014 when they announced Autopilot. It is not the v7 that is on the X not what has been accidentally pushed to some non-beta/non-EAP users. I think the original demo is still very different than v6, but some would probably not be as vehemently against v7 if this is what actually gets released.

Neither actually. That is the demo of v7 from 2014 when they announced Autopilot. It is not the v7 that is on the X not what has been accidentally pushed to some non-beta/non-EAP users. I think the original demo is still very different than v6, but some would probably not be as vehemently against v7 if this is what actually gets released.

Disagree, the main complaints seem to be the flatter design and the lack of tempurature/digital clock on the dash. This has all of those factors too. None of this should have been a surprise.

Disagree, the main complaints seem to be the flatter design and the lack of tempurature/digital clock on the dash. This has all of those factors too. None of this should have been a surprise.

Wow. Somehow I missed both of those. Yeah, this would still ruffle many feathers. Hopefully this style planned to have the v6 power meter, which is what would let me accept this one. Guess I just figured out what's the most important feature to me! :)

I don't see the huge differences some apparently do in the demo vs the leaked betas...

I'm not a huge proponent of cruise control, either, but there's a big difference between this and cruise control. People WILL use this for texting and checking Facebook, which isn't really something you can do with cruise control.
I'd prefer they use "this" (the current interpretation of the Tesla deliverable based on the article about the beta) when texting than nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

So, when the time comes that the lane keeping software alerts are not being responded to, and the Model S is going to slow down, turn on the hazards, and attempt to get to the side of the road and stop, why not accelerate before making each lane change?
Best argument I've heard for getting the Performance variants of the Model S: it's safer when autopilot needs to take evasive action. I wonder if my insurance company would buy that.

Best argument I've heard for getting the Performance variants of the Model S: it's safer when autopilot needs to take evasive action.
In this respect, I think the non-P models excel too. On a road trip my wife and I kept commenting on how the instant acceleration, even at highway speeds, was a safety feature. It doesn't hurt when passing on a 2-lane highway either!