Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this respect, I think the non-P models excel too. On a road trip my wife and I kept commenting on how the instant acceleration, even at highway speeds, was a safety feature. It doesn't hurt when passing on a 2-lane highway either!
Absolutely. It's saved my butt a couple times ... moving quickly away from the bonehead skooching into my lane while texting ... the big rig that gets blown over into mine ... it's definitely a safety feature, used correctly.

It's almost time to change the thread title to "Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 1 year after announcement". In about 48 hours. :crying:

You meant 24 hours, I believe. The D announcement was exactly a year ago today (October 9), but of course late that day.

I'm not in favor of changing the thread title, though, since the title is appropriate and accurate to the date the thread was actually started.

Neither actually. That is the demo of v7 from 2014 when they announced Autopilot. It is not the v7 that is on the X not what has been accidentally pushed to some non-beta/non-EAP users. I think the original demo is still very different than v6, but some would probably not be as vehemently against v7 if this is what actually gets released.

Just so I'm clear on this, you don't know what v7 looks like or does but you're vehemently again it anyway. Have I got it right?

Just so I'm clear on this, you don't know what v7 looks like or does but you're vehemently again it anyway. Have I got it right?

I wouldn't say I'm vehemently against v7, but I am understand why others are. The main camps seem to be:
1 - reduction of clarity/detail/ease of reading of analog power/regen meter
2 - loss of odometer, date/time, temp, manual trip meter from easy display
3 - anti-flatness in where you lose conveyed information such as whether HVAC is on/off, where you can press to select pause in the media "app", etc.
4 - anti-flatness in general
5 - loss of any of the above to provide a toy-car on non-AP vehicles that will always be the "only car on the road" in the IC
6 - providing a toy-car display that takes up most of the IC at the expense of other info. clarity

For me, 1, 3, and 5 are the biggest concerns, but I will hold out a final opinion until v7 is delivered to the masses. With a classic car, I could be happy staying at 6.2 forever.

I've posted this before (and I'll probably post again in a few months), from the D event ONE YEAR AGO!!!:

Model S will be able to steer to stay within a lane, change lanes with the simple tap of a turn signal, and manage speed by reading road signs and using active, traffic aware cruise control.
It will take several months for all Autopilot features to be completed and uploaded to the cars.

Of course, it's still on the website as already active (for the last year!); There's gotta be a law? :cursing:

I've posted this before (and I'll probably post again in a few months), from the D event ONE YEAR AGO!!!:

Model S will be able to steer to stay within a lane, change lanes with the simple tap of a turn signal, and manage speed by reading road signs and using active, traffic aware cruise control.
It will take several months for all Autopilot features to be completed and uploaded to the cars.

Of course, it's still on the website as already active (for the last year!); There's gotta be a law? :cursing:

Yes, every state has some equivalent of a truth in advertising law. Your best chance of getting Tesla to change its advertising may be to file a complaint with the California AG's office.

Except we do know how v7 looks. It was on the cars at the X reveal event.
I wouldn't say we know for sure until it's actually widely released to the general ownership. The cars at the X reveal were founders cars and possibly part of the beta program. I'm still holding out hope that they're keeping the final UI secret until it's actually released, and they're using the current UI just to beta test certain features. I'm really hoping that someone at Tesla has more sense than to relegate viewing the time to an ugly analog clock that takes up one of only two user selectable areas!

hades.gif
Can we do gifs here?

Happy Anniversary to Auto Pilot and the -D-.

You may relive the fun by viewing the photos from one year ago here: Tesla P85D Test Ride | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Enjoy!

For a fun drinking game, watch the video below with your Tesla friends. Any time Musk says anything that turned out, in retrospect, not to be true, come to fruition, was an exaggeration, etc, drink. (Just please don't drive anywhere when you're done playing!)

Last edited by a moderator: