Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, so you were aware the car will come to a complete stop, and start again when the traffic ahead starting going (sometimes requiring the accelerator tap if it's been too long) - you just felt weird letting the car do it. Gotcha. I imagine the first time people used an automatic transmission they felt the same way. Or cruise control.

If the car in front of you isn't being tracked when it comes to a stop (and in your example it wasn't), TACC isn't supposed to recognize it at all. I wrote this in another thread recently:
Thus my mention that "others" (e.g., you) have reported this same observation.:wink:

I'm not sure I agree that TACC isn't "supposed to recognize" a dead-stopped vehicle. It clearly is not recognizing this use case today, but that's a far cry from claiming it's not supposed to.

Thus my mention that "others" (e.g., you) have reported this same observation.:wink:

I'm not sure I agree that TACC isn't "supposed to recognize" a dead-stopped vehicle. It clearly is not recognizing this use case today, but that's a far cry from claiming it's not supposed to.

I believe they have enough hardware to distinguish between a stopped car and a tree. Between the radar and mono vision camera I would image it's nontrivial, but doable...

TACC has definitely gotten better over the last few software updates. When someone slow moves out of my lane it's much quicker at locking onto the next car ahead than it used to be. Seems like it would hang back for a while before, now it quickly recognizes it can speed up. It's also better at detecting the car ahead when I change lanes to and get in behind a new car. I've even had it recognize completely stopped cars when I change lanes behind one, but it's slow to do so, and it doesn't seem like it always works still.

Supposedly the beta of autopilot is going to be rolled out tomorrow. Invariably if that happens, we should see some leaked information surface. If it happens that is.
I wouldn't be so sure about any leaks happening. For 6.2 I don't remember there being any leaks (the first people knew about it was when Elon said it was already in beta in multiple cars). The EAP participants seem to be pretty tight lipped.

There were leaks. They just weren't posted publicly.

Exactly! A 2 month beta, with no leaks, is not possible! If indeed Beta is released tomorrow, we will know.
If anything, at this point it would serve Tesla well to show progress on the matter.
We have been on the "Beta will be released next week" tune since June!!

Now whether or not will it be released .. is a whole another issue!

There were leaks. They just weren't posted publicly.
Exactly! A 2 month beta, with no leaks, is not possible! If indeed Beta is released tomorrow, we will know.
If anything, at this point it would serve Tesla well to show progress on the matter.
We have been on the "Beta will be released next week" tune since June!!

Now whether or not will it be released .. is a whole another issue!
Can you or breser please tell me then what date the actual EAP Beta was released for 6.2? I actually tried to find that date in order to estimate beta time for this autopilot release, but I was never able to find it.

If you can't find that, why would you expect this time to be different?

Thanks! I somehow lived from 2007 to now without being rickrolled until today. Is rickrolling allowed by the forums TOS? If so I'm going to do this alot. That was funny! I'm surprised the guy I spoke to at Tesla didn't do that to me when I called the other day asking to get into the beta program. He should have sent me an email with that link. Yet another missed opportunity by Tesla...