Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are always leaks but I'm not expecting to hear anything today even if it was released today to someone.
Can you point me to some leaks about 6.2? I keep seeing people say there are leaks, but no evidence that any leaks occurred.

I'm not counting anything directly out of Elon or Tesla as a leak (Elon/Tesla obviously can announce that beta is on). I'm talking about things that can be interpreted as something that might have leaked from the EAP.
http://my.teslamotors.com/sv_SE/forum/forums/next-months-software-update

I think a lot of people have gotten caught up with the "Autopilot" fever from Tesla without realizing it may never come to fruition.
The auto park and return feature will, I'm pretty sure, will NEVER be implemented. Far too dangerous. A lot of countries are saying no. The U.S. should also say no.
It was just a pipe dream of Elon's and a lot of people fell for it I'm afraid.

Right!! So who was lecturing me about "There will be no leaks"?

Version 7 Dash Display Short Video

Egg and your face are in alignment sir!
I'm talking about leaks about the beta, not just about updates in general.
If you count that, then the following "leak" has already occurred:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/50274-Info-on-Autopilot-v7

That tells us nothing about when the beta is released. Your main point is within the next couple of days of beta release, we (as in the entire public) would know it is in beta.

My main point is in the first couple of days of 6.2 EAP, it was not known in the public that it was released (I have yet to be proven wrong on that). Perhaps some people here got PMs about it, but my main point is talking about something that is post publicly.

- - - Updated - - -

I had the manual for 6.2 before it came out. No I didn't post it.
If it's not posted publicly, for the purposes of AC123's argument it does not meet his criteria. He's saying it would be known publicly practically the same day of release. In fact, he's expecting we will see it in this specific thread.

I can't think of a single instance where Tesla met one of their announced dates. The closest they ever came was torque sleep which was announced as coming by end of January 2015 and actually did come a day or two later. Sort of (remember it wasn't until several updates later that it was even mentioned in the release notes).

Tesla could have (or still can) calm the masses a little by releasing 7.0 UI without autosteer but with the new instrument cluster 360 degree sensor view/car detection feature active. I can't speak for everyone but I would be geeked out enough to forget about autosteer for a bit. ;)

I can't think of a single instance where Tesla met one of their announced dates. The closest they ever came was torque sleep which was announced as coming by end of January 2015 and actually did come a day or two later. Sort of (remember it wasn't until several updates later that it was even mentioned in the release notes).

Tesla could have (or still can) calm the masses a little by releasing 7.0 UI without autosteer but with the new instrument cluster 360 degree sensor view/car detection feature active. I can't speak for everyone but I would be geeked out enough to forget about autosteer for a bit. ;)
I am all for the V7.0 UI, but doubt that the present sensor suite is adequate for 360 degree view in real time. There appears to be blind spot in the B pillar region for obstruction detection in real time. I mean the front and real ultrasonic sensors do not cover the B pillar area in real time. If someone can show me how the current sensor suite will work for 360 view in real time, I am all eye and ears.:biggrin:

I am all for the V7.0 UI, but doubt that the present sensor suite is adequate for 360 degree view in real time. There appears to be blind spot in the B pillar region for obstruction detection in real time. I mean the front and real ultrasonic sensors do not cover the B pillar area in real time. If someone can show me how the current sensor suite will work for 360 view in real time, I am all eye and ears.:biggrin:

The autopilot page on the tesla website seems to imply the front and rear side sensors would extend far enough to cover the middle of the car. But the Model S owners manual shows a much narrower FOV for each of the side sensors. Good question. Will be interesting to see what the reality is of the side coverage and how Tesla decides to message it. I.e. Whether they actually state that the B-pillar region isn't covered by the ultrasonic sensors.

The autopilot page on the tesla website seems to imply the front and rear side sensors would extend far enough to cover the middle of the car. But the Model S owners manual shows a much narrower FOV for each of the side sensors. Good question. Will be interesting to see what the reality is of the side coverage and how Tesla decides to message it. I.e. Whether they actually state that the B-pillar region isn't covered by the ultrasonic sensors.
I have for some time been, and is still, hoping that MS will include camera in the side mirrors (as a retrofit) so that together with the front/rear cameras, it truly cover 360 degrees for all-around view, and at the same time facilitate the release the autopilot with bay parking, not just parallel parking (although side camera could still be useful for curb avoidance). In the MX forum mule sighting thread, someone recently pointed out a suspicious looking camera hidden under the side mirror. Earlier MX mule sighting thread showed externally mounted camera under the side mirror.

I have for some time been, and is still, hoping that MS will include camera in the side mirrors (as a retrofit) so that together with the front/rear cameras, it truly cover 360 degrees for all-around view, and at the same time facilitate the release the autopilot with bay parking, not just parallel parking (although side camera could still be useful for curb avoidance). In the MX forum mule sighting thread, someone recently pointed out a suspicious looking camera hidden under the side mirror. Earlier MX mule sighting thread showed externally mounted camera under the side mirror.

Hoping that's some trickle down from the X reveal...

I think a lot of people have gotten caught up with the "Autopilot" fever from Tesla without realizing it may never come to fruition.
The auto park and return feature will, I'm pretty sure, will NEVER be implemented. Far too dangerous. A lot of countries are saying no. The U.S. should also say no.

So then how do you explain these exact features being available with Mercedes and BMW and readily available in the US?

On private property, in the US, there should be no problem.

Here is another non-news, attention grabbing, link bait article.
Tesla Starts Beta-Testing AutoPilot 7 Features with Owners – News – Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Seriously, if you've got nothing to say, then shut up!?

The article has 3 paragraphs.

The first paragraph is just random BS about how cool autopilot is, and quoting another non-news, linkbait article by IEEE spectrum.
The second para, quotes what Elon said in the Q2 earnings call last week. So nothing new there.

Third para, is the best ..
Tesla spokeswoman Alexis Georgeson confirmed that Tesla is indeed testing Autopilot systems and Musk spoke of this on last week’s call to investors, although she didn’t go into specifics about exactly what features made it onto this test version of the update.

Yeah it's the damned specifics, facts, and details that matter my darling. Without facts, your article is a dud. The reality is, Alexis has said NOTHING about the Aug 15 Beta roll out date. Absolutely no word from Tesla at all. So the wording of the article is cleverly wordsmithed into creating a lie but not a lie misinformation.

Unfortunately in a world of internet publishing, ink is sold by the barrell. There are simply no journalistic ethics beyond traffic generating headlines. Car and Driver should be ashamed of publishing such nonsense.

BOO!

I thought you were all waiting to hear if it had gone to beta testing. Now you're demanding details of the beta testing, or you're saying it's a lie? (And I won't even touch your paternalistic 'my darling', other than it was a little creepy.) C'mon. You have confirmation. I've seen confirmation over on the facebook group that people are testing. The whole idea of beta testing is to shake out any issues before mass introduction, not to be micromanaged by a large group.