Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane position

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove my Model Y on the highway today and noticed that autopilot was staying much closer to the right side of the lane than usual. My experience in both the Y and my M3 is that autopilot generally holds the center of the lane. It was far enough to the right to sometimes show the car almost touching the blue lane line on the display. At least once I took over from autopilot when there was a car in the lane to my right because it felt uncomfortably close.

I just had the windshield replaced earlier this week (on September 1st). When got home from the SC, I got a notification that there was a software update available and I installed it. I was surprised when the update completed after only a few minutes. Today when I got in the car I again got a notification that there was another update waiting to be installed and the release notes for 2021.12.25.7 were on the screen. That was a surprise, because I already had that version and thought that the update that I installed on 9/1 must have been 2021.24.4, which my M3 also received this week.

TeslaMate shows that I received 2021.12.25.7 on 8/3/2021 and that it took 38 minutes to install that update. Then on 9/1, the day of the windshield service visit, it says I again received 2021.12.25.7, this time taking 6 minutes to update.

As I typed this it installed 2021.24.4, which is the update I got notified of today. TeslaMate shows it took 15 minutes to complete.

So:
  1. Why did I get a second installation of 2021.12.25.7 that installed so quickly when I returned home from my service appointment?
  2. What might be causing the lane position to be off when using autopilot?

It isn't that the car doesn't know where the lane is, so I don't think it is a camera calibration issue. The blue lines are matching up with reality. It is just that autopilot is choosing to position the car very far to the right in that lane that it has accurately depicted on the visualization. Should I recalibrate the cameras anyway?

PXL_20210903_155352550.jpg

Huh, mine stays dead center of the lane, no matter what.... In fact, I don't really use AutoSteer in heavy traffic because if a car or truck in the next lane moves to the edge of their lane, I'd rather shift a bit myself, but AS keeps me firmly dead center. Also, it doesn't avoid potholes that are in the travel spots in the lane, which is irritating, especially in this area which has potholes galore. I love TACC, especially in heavy traffic, but am still getting comfortable with AS.

Calibrate the cameras, believe it's under the service menu.
For those of us with AutoPilot that hugs the center line, calibrating the cameras does not work. I must've tried it half a dozen times on different roads. My AutoPilot (Model S) nearly rides on top of the yellow line at all times and it cannot be fixed. Cleveland service center says nothing is wrong - tell that to the people whose mirrors Im about to clip because AP is on the yellow.

My only hope is that FSD will resolve this since it uses entirely different logic from my understanding. Would sure be nice if someone with center lane hugging got into FSD beta.

Reactions: gigawhat?
Here I am hoping to read that AP will learn to move in the lane for motorcycles and on turns to the inside or outside as normal people do.

But sitting on an inside line seems dangerous.
Mine sits dead center in the lane. I wish it would adapt to slide a little to the left or right when traffic, especially trucks, in the next lane slide to the side of their lane.

Reactions: Canyonero
For those of us with AutoPilot that hugs the center line, calibrating the cameras does not work. I must've tried it half a dozen times on different roads. My AutoPilot (Model S) nearly rides on top of the yellow line at all times and it cannot be fixed. Cleveland service center says nothing is wrong - tell that to the people whose mirrors Im about to clip because AP is on the yellow.

My only hope is that FSD will resolve this since it uses entirely different logic from my understanding. Would sure be nice if someone with center lane hugging got into FSD beta.
Fsd beta did not fix mine. Still hugs the center for my vision only MYP