Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot leading-car tracking significantly worse after the radar-removal push

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched and dug, I can't seem to find any thread about this. A bit surprising, considering the prevalence of the issue.

(Before you think I'm an FSD/AP critic... I created the "I'm probably not driving" sticker & have been making as much noise as possible to get in on FSD Beta. I find it hard to believe we'd even be a year away! I'm optimistic and trying to provide helpful feedback/discussion.)

My car's a 2018 3 LR/RWD with HW3 and FSD. I use Autopilot & NoAP constantly, on any road I think it'll handle, kinda like bionic driving. I watch everything that's happening, and let the car handle the fine controls. And in that, I watch it very closely... I notice when things change. And things have... definitely changed.

With recent updates coinciding with the push for radar removal (it's been going on for a while - not THAT recent), I've noticed that it's gotten really, really sloppy about detecting and reacting to the car in front of it. I had hoped this would improve, but some updates later, it's still not getting better. Thus, I'm posting about it.

This evening, I was out on a night drive, and every time I was approaching a car stopped at a red light, I had to hit the brake to disengage AP -- and without touching the accelerator again, regen to a stop, it was just in time to "land" just behind that car. AP wasn't stopping. That means, I stopped it at the point AP should have, if it were to utilize full power regen to a stop. If it were any later, it'd have to push the brakes as well to stop in time. That's bad. AP should be slowing before a point when a human driver would want to intervene. This is also new - it'd be rather close in the past, but it would generally slow in time.

There's also the long-running issue of AP on the freeway, having recently become much more sloppy at tracking distance to the car in front. That'd been an issue for a while, no matter what my following distance setting (I use 3-7 pretty regularly, rarely 1, but always changing), it'd appear to mostly ignore it as an aspirational figure... but now it's practically drunk/appearing distracted in how slow it reacts to changes in lead speed.

What prompted me to post, specifically though, was that one point where I was following a lead car to the stop, AP actually jerked forward from a stop while the lead car was still stopped and the light was still red. The lead car's brake lights didn't turn off, they didn't move forward... AP just decided "Oop, time to go!" and let off the brakes abruptly. I reflexively just slammed the brake in a split second.

This sure doesn't look good for vision AP. Based on what I saw at AI Day, they ought to be able to address this easily, and it's probably not even an issue in FSD Beta. But if they're barely paying any attention to "legacy" AP while focused on FSD, and with this still being a problem several updates later, it seems to need a post to see if others have the same experience.

Also, another shout out to the USB media album art issue. It's been broken since November :( USB Music - cover art

Any car with a radar is AFIK still using it.
Not necessarily saying it's not, but rather only as a secondary backup. I absolutely could not imagine Tesla maintaining two separate AP engines - it makes no developmental or business/resource-allocation sense to do so. Thus, it makes sense that we're all getting the "vision-only" system, and my experience really makes it seem that way.

Are you saying yours is any different / seems unchanged? Then again, New Zealand vs. me in Tesla's backyard may be a factor as well :)

What prompted me to post, specifically though, was that one point where I was following a lead car to the stop, AP actually jerked forward from a stop while the lead car was still stopped and the light was still red. The lead car's brake lights didn't turn off, they didn't move forward... AP just decided "Oop, time to go!" and let off the brakes abruptly. I reflexively just slammed the brake in a split second.
This almost sounds like an issue that has been tied to static objects where the systems will actually accelerate towards objects when it calculates a change in position that indicates the object has moved further away (aka is accelerating away from the vehicle)

Typically this has been associated with vehicles leaving a lane to avoid a static object ahead, but maybe the system arrived at the same conclusion under different circumstances. That's a total guess though

I absolutely could not imagine Tesla maintaining two separate AP engines - it makes no developmental or business/resource-allocation sense to do so
That's what Tesla does already for vehicles that do not have newer hardware, e.g., AP1 for those without HW2+ and HW2.x cannot run things that require HW3. Even for vehicles with HW3 and radar, it seems likely that radar is still being used given that vision-only restrictions are not enforced, e.g., minimum follow setting of 2.

Not necessarily saying it's not, but rather only as a secondary backup. I absolutely could not imagine Tesla maintaining two separate AP engines - it makes no developmental or business/resource-allocation sense to do so. Thus, it makes sense that we're all getting the "vision-only" system, and my experience really makes it seem that way.

Are you saying yours is any different / seems unchanged? Then again, New Zealand vs. me in Tesla's backyard may be a factor as well :)

As stated, cars with radar are not using the TeslaVision stack. Otherwise you'd have the 80mph restriction and follow distance of 3. I have a 2018 M3 with the latest firmware 2021.24.x and have not noticed any improvements or regression in autopilot behavior. I think a lot of it is Placebo...thinking that maaaybe something changed. People post like this after after every single tiny update lol.

As stated, cars with radar are not using the TeslaVision stack. Otherwise you'd have the 80mph restriction and follow distance of 3. I have a 2018 M3 with the latest firmware 2021.24.x and have not noticed any improvements or regression in autopilot behavior. I think a lot of it is Placebo...thinking that maaaybe something changed. People post like this after after every single tiny update lol.
Hmm. Maybe I should try resetting the camera calibration, then - the only "knob" we're given to try addressing inconsistencies.

In the past, I've seen people complain about a similar issue on earlier AP, where that wasn't my experience at all. I brush it off as one of those "my wife hates all those stupid assistance features" gripes. Now I'm wondering if we legit just get different experiences because of how neural net AI stuff works. Slight variations in data affecting different cars in different ways...

I just got an update from 2021.24.3 -> 2021.24.4, so aside from checking if USB media album art came back (... it probably didn't), of course, also going to hope for improved distance-keeping.

Also, I thought the 80mph restriction was only temporary (and was resolved by now, thus pushed to everyone), and... follow distance isn't a thing on the vision AP systems?! No way. Really?

I'm on 2021.12.25.10 or something, it's fantastic, the best AP version I've used. It really just depends on what Tesla is trying out for a particular version lol. I had 25.7, and AP didn't seem as good on that version.

Hmm. Maybe I should try resetting the camera calibration, then - the only "knob" we're given to try addressing inconsistencies.

In the past, I've seen people complain about a similar issue on earlier AP, where that wasn't my experience at all. I brush it off as one of those "my wife hates all those stupid assistance features" gripes. Now I'm wondering if we legit just get different experiences because of how neural net AI stuff works. Slight variations in data affecting different cars in different ways...

I just got an update from 2021.24.3 -> 2021.24.4, so aside from checking if USB media album art came back (... it probably didn't), of course, also going to hope for improved distance-keeping.

Also, I thought the 80mph restriction was only temporary (and was resolved by now, thus pushed to everyone), and... follow distance isn't a thing on the vision AP systems?! No way. Really?
The speed limit for vision only was 70 or 75 when it first came out, iirc. They improved it to 80mph and that’s the last I’ve heard of it. AFAIK, nobody who has a radar production car is on vision only so far. If anyone is, please chime in.

I've searched and dug, I can't seem to find any thread about this. A bit surprising, considering the prevalence of the issue.

(Before you think I'm an FSD/AP critic... I created the "I'm probably not driving" sticker & have been making as much noise as possible to get in on FSD Beta. I find it hard to believe we'd even be a year away! I'm optimistic and trying to provide helpful feedback/discussion.)

My car's a 2018 3 LR/RWD with HW3 and FSD. I use Autopilot & NoAP constantly, on any road I think it'll handle, kinda like bionic driving. I watch everything that's happening, and let the car handle the fine controls. And in that, I watch it very closely... I notice when things change. And things have... definitely changed.

With recent updates coinciding with the push for radar removal (it's been going on for a while - not THAT recent), I've noticed that it's gotten really, really sloppy about detecting and reacting to the car in front of it. I had hoped this would improve, but some updates later, it's still not getting better. Thus, I'm posting about it.

This evening, I was out on a night drive, and every time I was approaching a car stopped at a red light, I had to hit the brake to disengage AP -- and without touching the accelerator again, regen to a stop, it was just in time to "land" just behind that car. AP wasn't stopping. That means, I stopped it at the point AP should have, if it were to utilize full power regen to a stop. If it were any later, it'd have to push the brakes as well to stop in time. That's bad. AP should be slowing before a point when a human driver would want to intervene. This is also new - it'd be rather close in the past, but it would generally slow in time.

There's also the long-running issue of AP on the freeway, having recently become much more sloppy at tracking distance to the car in front. That'd been an issue for a while, no matter what my following distance setting (I use 3-7 pretty regularly, rarely 1, but always changing), it'd appear to mostly ignore it as an aspirational figure... but now it's practically drunk/appearing distracted in how slow it reacts to changes in lead speed.

This sure doesn't look good for vision AP. Based on what I saw at AI Day, they ought to be able to address this easily, and it's probably not even an issue in FSD Beta. But if they're barely paying any attention to "legacy" AP while focused on FSD, and with this still being a problem several updates later, it seems to need a post to see if others have the same experience.

Also, another shout out to the USB media album art issue. It's been broken since November :( USB Music - cover art
I agree that the following distance while using autopilot is terrible right now. Any setting between 1-7 makes no impact. And the following distance seems random in most situations at best. Only scenario where following distance is consistent is on long stretches on the highway with no variation in speed.

"I was out on a night drive, and every time I was approaching a car stopped at a red light, I had to hit the brake to disengage AP -- and without touching the accelerator again, regen to a stop, it was just in time to "land" just behind that car. AP wasn't stopping." Exactly the same. I am a new Tesla owner 2021 M3LR and it's start breaking sharp 25m before front car. I need push brake. If it's a winter road- accident guarantee.

Reactions: FalconFour
Our MY is vision-only (June 2021 delivery) and just updated to 2021.4.21.3 a couple of weeks ago. The following distance setting now goes down to 2, which I have tried in slow stop-and-go traffic. That seemed safe, and prevented "weavers" from cutting in. I normally adjust it to between 3 – 5, and the car does seem to change how close it follows when I do.

We also have Adaptive Cruise Control on our BMW i3, and I do not trust it to stop when it comes up to an already-stopped car--I believe BMW even warns in the manual that it won't do that safely. However, my Tesla does seem to handle that well, at least much better than the BMW.

The speed limit for vision only was 70 or 75 when it first came out, iirc. They improved it to 80mph and that’s the last I’ve heard of it. AFAIK, nobody who has a radar production car is on vision only so far. If anyone is, please chime in.
I mean, how could you tell anyway? Tesla hides every technical detail from you. I just notice that it no longer seems to show the car ahead of the car in front of me at a stop, which is a limitation vision would have, but not radar (in the past, at least). Example - having a big chungus SUV in front of me blocking any vision chance of seeing the car in front of the next car, but it shows up on the vis. No more.

If there is actually a way to know what "flavor" of AP is being used, I'd love to find out! Any way to see more technical details, I'm all about it.

I agree that the following distance while using autopilot is terrible right now. Any setting between 1-7 makes no impact. And the following distance seems random in most situations at best. Only scenario where following distance is consistent is on long stretches on the highway with no variation in speed.

How can it be random when they bragged about it being more precise than the radar? 🤔

It sounds like Elon is in favor of giving the new FSD visualization to everyone when FSD 10 is released. He responded favorably to a tweet saying it would be great publicity for FSD.

IDK if this is the kind of technical info you are seeking. I'm psyched. I was hoping for this.
I want that. God yes. Personally, I want all of it...

But on the surface, I'm talking about things like spec/group/trim levels, variations, what the AP engine is, when it changes... stuff higher than just "kawaii you get a software update, uwu it's 2021.42.2.4 containing BUG FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS 🙃".

Deep down, I want this:

Reactions: BitJam
My car is also not following good anymore. Its response is delayed and slow. I have it set to 3 and the car in front of me will be 10 away before it speeds up. It never seems to want to follow at 1 anymore. Its just not working right anymore. I am wondering if they turned off our radar to match the radar less cars.

• Love
Reactions: FalconFour
My car is also not following good anymore. Its response is delayed and slow. I have it set to 3 and the car in front of me will be 10 away before it speeds up. It never seems to want to follow at 1 anymore. Its just not working right anymore. I am wondering if they turned off our radar to match the radar less cars.
👏 ex 👏 act 👏 ly

That's my whole complaint 🤣 I'm having to goose the accelerator practically every time the car in front speeds up, and end up hitting the brake when on AP on streets and it's approaching stopped cars. It's very delayed to the point of being uncomfortable and irrational.