TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot Lesson At Delivery?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by cplaw, Sep 1, 2016.

1. cplaw

cplaw Member

How much time does the DS spend on explaining how autopilot works? Do they go out on a drive with you to show you how to use it, or does the "lesson" occur only while the car is parked in the service center?

2. donv

donv Member

When I picked up my current Model S, in November, we did a drive and autopilot familiarization. Of course, autopilot was new at that point.

3. chillaban

chillaban Member

It really depends on what you want out of the orientation experience.

For me, I had obsessed about the car for more than a month, read the whole manual front to back 5 times, watched every youtube video there was to watch... I just wanted to get the car as quickly as possible. My DS breezed through the orientation just as a sit-in thing. The only thing I asked him to go over in usual detail is charging the car (since I had never charged a Tesla before or understood what all the adapters were).

• Like x 1
  4. mark.lawler

mark.lawler Member

I asked for a demonstration on auto parking when taking delivery of my new Model S today and the guy said "We can't do that today as it takes your car about three days to learn how tho best leverage its sensors." Yah, right. Somehow suspecting it was a way to limit their liability in their own parking lot and get the appointment over quicker....

5. Buddy

Buddy Member

No what he said was actually true. Try auto parking yourself. It may not work for 1-3 days. Some have reported it taking longer than a week.

• Like x 1
  6. Buddy

Buddy Member

@cplaw my DS said we will be going on a test drive to showcase all the features.

7. cplaw

cplaw Member

8. cplaw

cplaw Member

Why is that the case? Does that mean I can't use autopilot on the way home from picking up the car?

9. Buddy

Buddy Member

Ive just seen many members post the same thing. Only in regards to the auto park feature.

• Like x 1
  10. cplaw

cplaw Member

Oh, okay, I thought you also meant the other autopilot features as well. 2.5 hours and counting till delivery...... :)

• Like x 1
  11. BertL

BertL Active Member

Autopilot will work on your drive home. My personal suggestion is become familiar with your basic MS operation before assuming too much with new driver assistance features like AP... Just be safe; try AP first in good conditions; and don't let enthusiasm override your remaining in complete control with better judgement while you become accustomed to it.

Auto park has had the need for "self calibration" documented as taking "30 minutes to several days" since the day it first became available OTA, and is documented as such in your Owners Manual on page 80. It's not unreasonable for Tesla to tell you it can't be demonstrated on the day you take delivery. Other threads have plenty of speculation as to what's going on, but most I believe agree it's about multiple sensor calibration taking place in different conditions.

Enjoy that new MS!

• Informative x 1
  12. cplaw

cplaw Member

Thanks! I got to try out the auto-pilot during the orientation and on my way home. The car is awesome! I didn't realize how fun it really would be to drive it, but I can see myself easily getting a speeding ticket. You don't realize how quickly you can get in that thing....and I only have a 60.

13. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

@cplaw, congratulations on the new car!

Just a suggestion...if you haven't already, I highly recommend a read through this thread:

A flight instructor teaches Tesla Autopilot

It really helps put you in the right mindset for dealing with the different aspects of autopilot.

Bruce.

14. cplaw

cplaw Member

Thanks! That was very helpful.

15. Swissmoneychf

Swissmoneychf Member

I don't know when you're going to take delivery, but feel free to ask them to give you a loaner for a day or two. It's free and you can test everything you need to before you take delivery.

That's what I did last month, just before confirming my reservation.

16. suraj1194

suraj1194 Member

He wasn't lying. The sensors around the car do take time to calibrate themselves to recognize and activate the Autopark feature. When I drove my car out the first time, it would not recognize any spots either, and didn't do so until maybe 2-3 days in.

Regarding OP's question, I got an email asking what I sought out of the delivery experience, and I recall it asked me whether I needed instruction on using Autopilot too. But I had previously been instructed when I went on a test drive before I ordered my car.

17. Buddy

Buddy Member

My summon and auto park worked day one. Also my mobile app worked as well.

18. suraj1194

suraj1194 Member

In my case neither summon nor the mobile app worked right away. It worked about one day later. I picked up from the factory in Fremont.