TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Autopilot Limitation in US?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by cheyuan, Aug 16, 2017.

1. cheyuan

cheyuan New Member

Hi everybody,
    I'm in Taiwan and I just ordered S75 last week . And I should wait it for about 2 months or more.
    The waiting time is so hard...

Anyway, my question is that AP just can active only on highway or freeway in Taiwan.
    On country road or downtown , only ACC can be actived.
    I wonder know is there any similar limition of AP in US ?

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

I am not familiar on how Tesla car would work in Taiwan.

For the US, although Owner Manual says it is designed for restricted-access roads (Freeways) but Autopilot works in both local roads as well as Freeways.

It works better on Freeways.

Of course when you can't use AutoSteer, you can still use the Traffic Aware Cruise Control while doing manual steering.

3. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

@cheyuan FWIW, Europe is the same as U.S. on this - you can activate AP on most roads (including local roads), though at least AP2 does not work very well on local roads at this stage.

I seem to recall Taiwan (and a few other Asian markets) having stricter AP rollouts due to local regulations than U.S. or Europe, so what you say seems plausibly a regional difference to me.

4. cheyuan

cheyuan New Member

MMM...I'm so sad about restriction of AP in Taiwan.
    I don't think that the restriction of AP is due to local regulation.
    Other brand(like Honda, Mazda, Mecedes...)have similar function about auto steering , they can't restricted it because the vehicle don't know what kind of road they are on .

• Helpful x 1
  5. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

I agree the exact reasons are unknown, but it is a fact that Tesla AP has been more restricted in certain Asian markets compared to U.S. and Europe, where AP has been more "freewheeling".

6. cheyuan

cheyuan New Member

I mailed Tesla Taiwan last evening. Then I got a phone called from Tesla 1 hr later(really soon).
    He said Tesla AP really has been more restricted in certain Asian markets. They had recieved a couple of owner's opinion.
    They really discussed to change the restriction or not . But he can't promise is it change or not.
    So , all I can do is wait...........

• Informative x 1
  7. hitparader

hitparader Member

I would imagine it has something more to do with the unpredictable traffic. They zip around on those scooters sometimes like there aren't any traffic laws

8. cheyuan

cheyuan New Member

@hitparader HaHa~You are right...Scooter in Taiwan definitely like what you said.
    But I think I can drive more safely and easily for long time trip with AP. So I'm really expect that I can decide when to active AP or not.

• Like x 1