Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Lock Out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed the autopilot warning seems more sensitive than it has been in the past - I've not changed my driving style, or positioning of hands on the wheel - but especially on motorway runs the gap between 'apply pressure to the wheel' and 'not available for the rest of the journey' seems shorter.

The weight of my hands used to be enough, but the need to 'wiggle' the wheel almost constantly now is frustrating and I wonder if I'm alone in seeing this change, or are others experiencing the same thing?

Tesla driving gloves:
w_3_0012130_15th-century-german-style-gauntlets-with-brass_550.png

The straighter the road, the more nags in my experience. If the wheel isn’t moving much there’s to resist against
For sure - but often it's the same motorway route.....I feel it's more 'sensitive' since the crash in California, and hoping that the inside camera enabling may take some of that away. If not, then it's almost useless now....

10 seconds.... that's how long I get between "apply pressure" warnings. Not changed between releases.
It's not the time gap - it's the level of sensitivity on the wheel that I think has changed. But again, maybe just me... I should add that of the 24k on the car, 18+ has been driven by the Autopilot, I'm a heavy user of it, and love it.

Conversely, have you ever noticed that the autosteer isn't doing a very good job at keeping you away from the central reservation barrier and then noticed it wasn't engaged and hasn't been for the last 10 miles!
Oh yes, done that a few times. My favourite is the tendency to pick the right hand lane when the carriageway splits, rather than the left. A little bit of US software that needs a tweak there....

I've noticed the autopilot warning seems more sensitive than it has been in the past - I've not changed my driving style, or positioning of hands on the wheel - but especially on motorway runs the gap between 'apply pressure to the wheel' and 'not available for the rest of the journey' seems shorter.

The weight of my hands used to be enough, but the need to 'wiggle' the wheel almost constantly now is frustrating and I wonder if I'm alone in seeing this change, or are others experiencing the same thing?

Just got back from Beds - IoW - Beds and no probs with Autopilot except when "bad weather detected" and bits of the A3 deemed to not be motorway. One hand applying pressure. No phantom braking either. Praise Elon and send The Button!

Reactions: Magstauk
Did Tesla, disable the use of the scroll wheels to clear the nagging? I noticed after a few times with the scroll wheels, I would actually have to give the steering wheel a tug now.
I have never been aware that the scroll wheels could be used to indicate hands on wheel. I’ve not seen it in the manual which only refers to rotational force on the wheel. That’s the Model 3 manual. Might be different for other models.

Did Tesla, disable the use of the scroll wheels to clear the nagging? I noticed after a few times with the scroll wheels, I would actually have to give the steering wheel a tug now.
That was only an American thing, this is the UK forum so we've always had to apply a small turning force to avoid the nags. No idea if it has changed in the US.

I have never been aware that the scroll wheels could be used to indicate hands on wheel. I’ve not seen it in the manual which only refers to rotational force on the wheel. That’s the Model 3 manual. Might be different for other models.
Scroll wheel cancel never worked for me. Taking you eyes off the external situation to fondle a blue button seems counterintuitive.

Reactions: kelvin 660