Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot....meh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, I promise I am not a troll. I have owned two Model S since 2013. Love the company and my car.

I am curious though....am I the only one out there that could take or leave the autopilot feature? I get that it's a technological feat...but I have it and I rarely if ever use it. I'd just rather drive the car myself. Is there anyone else out that that could really care less about autopilot?

Reactions: jaguar36
I'm sure there are others who share your view. I'm not one of them. Tesla, as far as I know, doesn't put a gun to anyone's head to drive up autopilot sales.

I love autopilot and how it increases safety and is an optional tool I can use.

Reactions: u00mem9
I'm sure there are others who share your view. I'm not one of them. Tesla, as far as I know, doesn't put a gun to anyone's head to drive up autopilot sales.

I love autopilot and how it increases safety and is an optional tool I can use.

Maybe it's because I drive in MA that I don't see the increased safety aspect. Too many crazies out there on the road in Boston. I don't trust them and that the car will react in time. Maybe that's on me...but still, the cars are too fun to relinquish control.

I don't get where you're coming from with the "gun to the head" comment. But, I feel like the biggest complaints, news, topics of discussion center around AP which is why I ask the question. If I did it again, I wouldn't purchase the option.

How much do you drive, and what kind of traffic conditions?

I mean, I get loving to drive, but there's very little to enjoy about either my 12 mile commute that takes 45 minutes that I've done 600 times and counting…. Or a 1000 mile road trip that's half in the desert on a nearly straight 4 lane highway.

Autopilot dramatically lowers the fatigue in those conditions and keeps you refreshed and ready to take over when something more exciting or eventful happens.

How much do you drive, and what kind of traffic conditions?

I mean, I get loving to drive, but there's very little to enjoy about either my 12 mile commute that takes 45 minutes that I've done 600 times and counting…. Or a 1000 mile road trip that's half in the desert on a nearly straight 4 lane highway.

Autopilot dramatically lowers the fatigue in those conditions and keeps you refreshed and ready to take over when something more exciting or eventful happens.

it's pretty boring just sitting there in the conditions you describe. I commute about 10 miles to work on Boston's southeast expressway....I'm bored as it is driving, what else am I going to do?

Fortunately, it's optional.

That's what I meant by the gun comment which I guess was overboard. Anyways, the reason the boards threads are predominantly AP related is two fold. First, a lot is changing about autopilot and this flux sparks threads. Second, it is almost settled that Tesla cars are awesome to drive. What else is there left to talk about?

That's what I meant by the gun comment which I guess was overboard. Anyways, the reason the boards threads are predominantly AP related is two fold. First, a lot is changing about autopilot and this flux sparks threads. Second, it is almost settled that Tesla cars are awesome to drive. What else is there left to talk about?

I can understand that. Like I said, it's very cool that Tesla is at the forefront of this movement. I guess it's just that....something to talk about!

I look at it this way, if I'm in the car, I'd prefer to be driving. That goes for any sort of automated system, or if I'm in the car with other adults who could drive. If I'm going somewhere with my wife, or one of my friends, I'd always prefer to be the one driving. And those other folks don't have the various issues that AP has.

I don't see AP is a day-to-day thing.

I use AP on long distance trips, with hundreds of miles on the highway going down a long stretch of road. Boring.

I would never use autopilot on a windy road (not because it can't handle it... well it can't actually), but because it's much more fun to drive myself.

Also, AP is decent in stop and go traffic too. It's a little rougher than I would drive, but OTOH I just have to make sure AP doesn't rear end the car in front of me.

I am with the OP. There is only one situation where I use AP, and that is when I'm driving on I5 from SF to LA and back. It's helpful there, but the help it provides is certainly not world changing. Overall, I tend to avoid using AP because I think it's more dangerous than it is helpful (and yes, I use it as Tesla advises...hands on wheel, ready to take over, etc.).

If I were to ever buy another Tesla, I wouldn't choose AP if I had a choice. I'd rather have an AM radio that works...

• Disagree
Reactions: Maximilien
I am with the OP. There is only one situation where I use AP, and that is when I'm driving on I5 from SF to LA and back. It's helpful there, but the help it provides is certainly not world changing. Overall, I tend to avoid using AP because I think it's more dangerous than it is helpful (and yes, I use it as Tesla advises...hands on wheel, ready to take over, etc.).

If I were to ever buy another Tesla, I wouldn't choose AP if I had a choice. I'd rather have an AM radio that works...
You lose a lot when you don't get AP though.

If you don't get AP, do you still get blind spot warnings and automatic front collision avoidance? I'd love those things, but not sure AP is worth the $.
Yep...that stuff is standard - safety features. So, if you don't get AP...you don't lose much at all other than the ability to have the car drive itself. But, the hardware is there and a new owner could always activate it.