Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot + merging lane = potential for some excitement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve just had the car for over a week but I was curious as to how the Autopilot would handle a merging/disappearing lane. After checking to make sure there were no cars beside me, I left it on Autopilot as the lane disappeared. It tried to stay centred but when it realized the lane was about to disappear, it “jumped” into the adjacent lane. Not that I want to try it myself, but what would happen if there happens to be a car beside you and there is no lane to “jump” into?

The side collision detection should hopefully prevent it from hitting another car in this situation. However, knowing how autopilot attempts to handle dicey situations like this I will usually turn autopilot off temporarily when approaching odd merges and take control myself only turning it back on once I know I’m back on a section of road it knows how to handle. I just don’t trust autopilot enough with merges like that, and for good reason.

You’ll quickly learn what the current version of EAP is good at and what it sucks at. Keep your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel being ready to take over control at any time and you should be fine.

Reactions: T34ME
I’ve just had the car for over a week but I was curious as to how the Autopilot would handle a merging/disappearing lane. After checking to make sure there were no cars beside me, I left it on Autopilot as the lane disappeared. It tried to stay centred but when it realized the lane was about to disappear, it “jumped” into the adjacent lane.
Yeah, AP has not matured to that level of sophistication yet. Full driver involvement is required in these situations.

It's also interesting when the EAP briefly starts to follow the car in front of you on the offramp of the highway, only to quickly jump back to the proper lane. Lots of decisions for the EAP computer to work through in a split second.
The side collision detection should hopefully prevent it from hitting another car in this situation. However, knowing how autopilot attempts to handle dicey situations like this I will usually turn autopilot off temporarily when approaching odd merges and take control myself only turning it back on once I know I’m back on a section of road it knows how to handle. I just don’t trust autopilot enough with merges like that, and for good reason.

You’ll quickly learn what the current version of EAP is good at and what it sucks at. Keep your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel being ready to take over control at any time and you should be fine.
All good points, but I wonder what EAP would do. Slam on the brakes? Head onto the shoulder? Just curious.

It's also interesting when the EAP briefly starts to follow the car in front of you on the offramp of the highway, only to quickly jump back to the proper lane. Lots of decisions for the EAP computer to work through in a split second.

All good points, but I wonder what EAP would do. Slam on the brakes? Head onto the shoulder? Just curious.
This isn’t a video game and the biggest reason why all the restrictions are placed on EAP now.
EAP is just driver assistance, it’s not all powerful, just better than most driver aids.

I would simply grip the wheel a little tighter.
That way, if the car decides to do something different (dart left or right) than what I would do (go straight), it will not be able to, and Autopilot will be disabled by my resisting the wheel turn.