Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Model Y vs Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a Model 3 w/FSD and I had great experience with autopilot. Little glitches like phantom braking but nothing major.

Traded 3 for Y w/FSD in April / May 2020 drove it cross country first week and it worked just like the 3.

Over the last ~6 months it has degraded continuously. Lane changes aborting, forward radar obstructions on clear dry days, today it disconnected for severe weather (also sunny). Had a service call and was told it was some sort of software issue that should resolve itself with each upgrade. Each time it happened today I submitted a bug report (I think I sent 6 reports today - prior to today zero).

today I think I am giving up and I am just not going to use it again. I’m incredibly frustrated that they can’t fix it.

anyone else having similar issues?

Had a Model 3 w/FSD and I had great experience with autopilot. Little glitches like phantom braking but nothing major.

Traded 3 for Y w/FSD in April / May 2020 drove it cross country first week and it worked just like the 3.

Over the last ~6 months it has degraded continuously. Lane changes aborting, forward radar obstructions on clear dry days, today it disconnected for severe weather (also sunny). Had a service call and was told it was some sort of software issue that should resolve itself with each upgrade. Each time it happened today I submitted a bug report (I think I sent 6 reports today - prior to today zero).

today I think I am giving up and I am just not going to use it again. I’m incredibly frustrated that they can’t fix it.

anyone else having similar issues?

I have a 2018 Model 3 and 2020 Model Y. Gradually improving since March 2019 when I first start using enhanced AP features.

Although recent rain and sunny weather here in SoCal creates situation that blinds cameras (when driving on a wet road towards sunlight) - it sometimes disable lane changing function or prompts for manual control of the car.

Last edited:
Actually, I would say that the FSD has been improving since I got my car last June. Much more reliable on secondary roads, the stop sign/traffic light functions are working better. No complaints. Can't wait for them to release the version currently being tested. I would say I use it 90% of the time I drive.