Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot nag bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since a couple of weeks my autopilot isn’t working as expected. Usually you get the ‘apply light force’ warning if you’re not holding the wheel, then the blue flashing thing, and eventually the red warning + sound alert.

However, I now sometimes get the red warning instantly including the sound. I even got it twice shortly after eachother a couple of times, or right after initializing the AP. Seems like a major bug, and it’s quite anoying. Tesla Support says it’s the AP learning, but I can’t imagine..

Anyone else with this issue? Latest firmware.

Latest firmware here. I think I had a similar experience last night, first time demonstrating AP to a friend since the update. I was waiting for it to nag me, but it didn't. For a long time! Hands off the wheel for around 30 seconds, in town, and the car ran beautifully...almost like I'd guess FSD is supposed to be. Then suddenly a red flash out of the corner of my eye on the screen, but it wasn't there long enough for me to actually read it.

AP seems improved enough to where I almost don't want them to touch it. ;-)

This can happen when AutoPilot needs you to take over and isn't a nag. For example, when it loses the lines.

The cameras can lose sight of lines more easily than you'd expect, e.g. a hilly corner could completely obscure the lines even though you clearly understand with your vision that it's a curve.

Maybe double-check that your front camera array is clean, otherwise I'm not sure why it would start now if you've been driving the same routes historically.

Reactions: SammichLover
@richtrav It's not the sun or dirt on the window, I checked. The lines are perfectly visible.

@camalaio I'll try and make a recording next time I'm in the car. The warning I get is the one I attached, but then with red text (and red border I think). Usually you first get the regular warning, then the slow pulsing blue banner on top, then the pulsing banner increases speed, then the warning text turns red and you hear an alert (basically your last chance), and at last the huge red steering wheel with the hands. I'm not talking about that last one, and I don't get the 'unavailable for rest of drive' warning instantly. Only when I keep ignoring the red warning for another X seconds.

Attachments

• 8g1m9jom35421.jpg
    8g1m9jom35421.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 84
Ok thanks I'm not the only one. I recently upgraded to HW3 and on my first attempt to use autopilot on the new hardware this would happen. I was worried something was wrong, but now that I think about it the lane lines were kind to hard to see as well.