Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot needs control from the steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. I didn't know about that . That doesn't sound very efficient.
When using AP, I sometimes have to adjust speed quickly. Doing it from screen sounds too cumbersome and slow.
Doesn't Tesla want driver to keep their hands on steering wheel?
I also need to adjust separation quickly depending on traffic and how often people cut in.
Hmmmm..... I need to rethink about my M3 purchase plan. AP was my main motivation for Tesla

find videos - you adjust by tapping the little plus/minus buttons on the screen. You can hold down the button for 5 unit increments, or you can press the speed limit sign to set it to that

The speed you adjust it on the screen, to adjust separation you have to go to autopilot settings...ugh
The most retarded thing I've heard yet about this car. They say it's supposed to be a minimalist design but all it does is cause complex problems, reminds me of the apple wheel.

Maybe I’m just not understanding, but wouldn’t you just use the accelerator or brake to change speed and then simply re-engage AP?
You could but sometimes it doesn't re-engage right away. I just need to be able to adjust max speed down without disengage AP, especially when you see a sharp curve or heavy traffic ahead. I may need to pay attention to road and traffic. Adjusting it without looking at the screen would be ideal.

I called support and asked if I could submit a feature request for Autopilot controls on the steering wheel. They happily obliged. The person I spoke with said they wouldn't really be able to ignore the feedback if enough people requested the added functionality.
Brings up a question... What is the "standard" method to make feature enhancement suggestions to Tesla? If everyone does it in a different way then we do not get as accurate or trackable message to Tesla. Ideally the preferred method would allow voting!

I called support and asked if I could submit a feature request for Autopilot controls on the steering wheel. They happily obliged. The person I spoke with said they wouldn't really be able to ignore the feedback if enough people requested the added functionality.
Yep ^^This^^
Feedback to Tesla is taking action. Commenting about it here - not so much :rolleyes:
Edited to add [email protected] also works.

They say it's supposed to be a minimalist design but all it does is cause complex problems, reminds me of the apple wheel.

:) Yup. Most people here drink the apple wheel kool-aid though and think everything is just fine. See my poll on similar topic: Would you buy an option to add controls? Of course I don't consider this an even cross section of ordinary drivers. Tesla has taken a risk by going radical minimalist. I'm not even considering cancelling because of it, but it still makes no sense.

using the screen really isn't challenging at all.. the menu is there immediately and very obvious on how to use.
On the other hand, there is a bit of a safety issue if you think you should use the stalk in the Model 3.. if you push up, you'll take the car out of Drive.. nuts