Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot/NOA on road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to be honest I was extremely disappointed in normal cruise control, autopilot and NoA during a recent road trip.
The auto high beams are completely broken. It was like driving a Christmas tree, flashing on and off constantly.

The braking when a vehicle was coming in the opposite direction was miserable. Every. Single. Vehicle. It didn’t matter if it was NoA, or regular cruise control.

I live in Southern California and I’ve always thought the car performed admirably in SoCal. But on the 395 north in the dead of night the car was practically undeliverable. Was shocked and super disappointed.

There are many users complaining about the current state of vision-only Autopilot, but the hope is that when the FSD code improves and comes down to normal users, the situation will dramatically improve. It apparently wasn’t this bad when radars were installed. Either way, Tesla is definitely aware of it and working on a software fix.

Reactions: Falcon73
There are many users complaining about the current state of vision-only Autopilot, but the hope is that when the FSD code improves and comes down to normal users, the situation will dramatically improve. It apparently wasn’t this bad when radars were installed. Either way, Tesla is definitely aware of it and working on a software fix.
I can attest that it was not this bad when radars were installed. I had a model 3 and never experienced this. I have also driven my wife’s Y to glacier national park and back and never experienced this. Only on my vision only Y.

I can attest that it was not this bad when radars were installed. I had a model 3 and never experienced this. I have also driven my wife’s Y to glacier national park and back and never experienced this. Only on my vision only Y.
Slight update. Drove back during the day, same route. Not as bad but still experienced lots of forward collision warnings and/or hard braking when semis were in the opposite lane.