Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot nor Cruise will engage 50% or more of drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 50% of the time I get in the car to go where ever the autopilot nor cruise will engage. There appears to be no rhyme nor reason to it. It has gotten worse since I have gotten on 2022.12.3.2.

The only fix is stop, have everyone get out the car and let it sit, and even then at times doesnt work.

The two button salute does nothing either?

Anybody else? About to schedule a service call.

2020 M3 Long Range.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I had a friend with an early Model 3 that had the same problem - it was a faulty radar sensor in his front bumper. He opened a ticket and once they replaced the sensor, his AP worked perfectly. So it could just be a faulty camera, or one of the ultrasonic sensors isn't working properly. Just open a support ticket and have them check the car remotely (diagnostics).

About 50% of the time I get in the car to go where ever the autopilot nor cruise will engage. There appears to be no rhyme nor reason to it. It has gotten worse since I have gotten on 2022.12.3.2.

The only fix is stop, have everyone get out the car and let it sit, and even then at times doesnt work.

The two button salute does nothing either?

Anybody else? About to schedule a service call.

2020 M3 Long Range.
call support from the car, they will be able to check it for you.
or use the app to open a service request.
Calling will be faster though

Reactions: sleepydoc
I had an intermittent camera that caused similar errors. The camera has a cracked connector, so sometimes it worked. The mobile tech found the problem and replaced the camera. It's been rock solid ever since.

If it does it again I would schedule a service visit. When they triage the car for the visit they may see a software error and resend you the most recent update. (Not saying this is definitely the cause. But it’s what caused a similar issue in my car).

Same on my car. I'm getting "Driving visualization temporarily degraded" and "Automatic Emergency Braking is disabled".

Started about two weeks ago and I could not engage cruise or autopilot. I did the two button reset (no luck), the service panel power off (it wouldn't power off), then the hard reset (disconnect 12v battery and the under-rear-seat connection) for 30 minutes, and still no luck.

Then I read that I should try switching wheel configs. Did that twice and apparently that worked. Until yesterday.

So I'm doing nothing until I can get Tesla service to check it.

Update - the tech just called me. He said this is a fleet-wide issue and seems to be the biggest complaint they are having at the moment. They believe it’s a software problem and have it as their highest priority bug to fix. He couldn’t give an ETA on when a patch will be ready, but was very apologetic about it.

I also believe it’s a software issue as a deep sleep fixes it in my vehicle. I didn’t have this issue until after installing 2022.4.5.21.

• Helpful
Reactions: manddarran
I've been having the problem for about 2 months. I took it in for service a month ago, but their "fix" didn't help. I received this wonderfully helpful note from Tesla service today.

Your autopilot issue is a characteristic of the current software. It will be fixed in the future with an over the air update so you will not need to come in. As far as the last repair, we recalibrated the radar. At the time we did not yet know that the software was causing an error for the radar calibration.

Funny to see them say that no autopilot at all is just a characteristic of the current version of autopilot. But I am thrilled to finally see that others are having the same problem as it adds credibility to what tesla told me. Before I found this thread I was suspecting that they were just trying to avoid a warranty repair.

I'm getting the same error. Seems like letting it sit overnight "Fixes" it. Happened three times so far in the last week.

According to Tesla it's a software issue - same as what flapsfail reported.

Happened today. I am doing a power down while I eat lunch and will see if it fixes it on the way back.

same problem here. Cruise control and AP became unavailable for no reason. there's no visualization of other objects (cars and traffic lights) on screen either. Went to Tesla service and they updated the firmware and said the issue was due to the old firmware.
Now two weeks later cruise control and AP became unavailable again! Made an appointment and let's see what they say.

---
2019 M3 dual motor