Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot not calibrating after windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a cracked wind shield replaced due to the infamous stress cracks known issue. To my dismay the autopilot is not completing its re-calibration after about 50 miles of driving on various types of roads. The vehicle avatar does not show lane markings well and does not show any of the cars around me either. Is a trip to the service again warranted or is there another trick I should try first?

Are you sure it's related to the replacement glass? What software version and are you using dashcam / sentry?

If so I would take out the USB drive and go to the service menu and do a shutdown. Let it sit for about 3 minutes without touching anything ( you'll hear the vents return to base position). Then hit the brake. See if the lines come back after that.

I had a cracked wind shield replaced due to the infamous stress cracks known issue. To my dismay the autopilot is not completing its re-calibration after about 50 miles of driving on various types of roads. The vehicle avatar does not show lane markings well and does not show any of the cars around me either. Is a trip to the service again warranted or is there another trick I should try first?

You will have to take it to Tesla for recalibration. If Tesla replaced the glass, the SC forgot to recalibrate. I think there is a statement in the user manual about that.

You don’t strictly need to calibrate after a windshield replacement as long as the camera was replaced within angle tolerance. Calibration tunes a camera in as long as it’s close. The techs usually force recalibration after replacement. But not always. Just don’t use autopilot for 50 miles. The camera is constantly being recalibrated every 50 miles. If it won’t calibrate then the camera was remounted out of angle tolerance. You’ll have take it to a SC to get it fixed.

Reactions: dennisvab
The issue eventually resolved, but I had to drive a fair amount. It was weird because the calibration was stuck at 5% after about 40miles if driving. Then it all of a sudden went to 90%. It eventually completed thereafter. The windshield was replaced at a Tesla service enter for those who were wondering.

The issue eventually resolved, but I had to drive a fair amount. It was weird because the calibration was stuck at 5% after about 40miles if driving. Then it all of a sudden went to 90%. It eventually completed thereafter. The windshield was replaced at a Tesla service enter for those who were wondering.