Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot not slowing down enough before corner or roundabout?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my new MY RWD 2 days ago and am superhappy with the car. Just a phenomenal piece of engineering. However there is one thing that just annoys the hell out of me.

We went on a trip in Norway this summer and rented an ID.3 there. The adaptive cruise control works great on that car as it automatically slows down before an upcoming turn or roundabout (and warns the driver about it beforehand). Clearly works on the navigation data and gps.

Now when I use Tesla’s Autopilot on my MY, almost always it keeps its speed when approaching a turn or roundabout. I cannot imagine thatvTesla would solely rely on Vision for this? Am I doing something wrong? I just cannot believe that the behaviour of Tesla’s AP is behind Volkswagen on this…

I do realise I am not the only one complaining about AP but his is so much about the basics that it feels like going back in time…

Reactions: pilotSteve
I’ve experienced Nav on Autopilot (NoA) not slowing down sufficiently for a freeway interchange ramp recently, and I had to seize control before the vehicle left the road. It may be due to an inaccurate Nav database, but the vehicle seemingly does not read & respond to exit speed zone signs.

On highways where AP is mostly used, you won't have turns or roundabouts.

On city streets, AP doesn't handle turns or roundabouts.

Does ID.3 ACC work on city streets ?
Must disagree. In northern Arizona and central Oregon (Bend) for two examples, roundabouts typically have 4 exits and posted speed is 45mph. FSD currently does NOT handle these well virtually every time in my experience.

I’ve been using FSD Beta/NOA for the last week and it does really slow down for tight s curves/corners. Then it will return to much higher speed e.g. Slow to 25 mph and then back to 50 mph after completing the turn. Haven’t tried it on a round about yet. Geeze it really is amazing.

Reactions: Dewg
I complete agree with OP. FSD is way too fast at left turns and most roundabouts. Musk should focus more on Tesla rather than twitter. The only advantage tesla has right now is the supercharge and FSD, if tesla do not improve FSD, then tesla worths nothing.

I’ve been using FSD Beta/NOA for the last week and it does really slow down for tight s curves/corners. Then it will return to much higher speed e.g. Slow to 25 mph and then back to 50 mph after completing the turn. Haven’t tried it on a round about yet. Geeze it really is amazing.
Using FSDb on rural roads with tight curves works very well. The car slows appropriately for left or right hand bends. It used to be that FSDb took some of these turns a bit too fast and would just barely cross the double-yellow line. But that seems to happen very seldom with recent versions.

On a recent drive, I did have have FSDb hug the line on a curve with another car approaching in the other lane. We passed a bit too close for my comfort, but both cars stayed in our respective lanes so all was good. I'm pretty tolerant of FSDb, but a little extra room would have been nice!

Reactions: Cal1
Must disagree. In northern Arizona and central Oregon (Bend) for two examples, roundabouts typically have 4 exits and posted speed is 45mph. FSD currently does NOT handle these well virtually every time in my experience.
No disagreement there - Most of my disengagements are with roundabouts like I’ve been saying for a long time.

The post I was commenting about is regarding AP in Europe.

Indeed, although I appreciate (with a sliver of envy I must admit) the concerns about FSD, this is not even available in Europe. I was only commenting about the AP performance and the fact that the speed adjustments for corners and roundabouts are not handled well. Basic stuff…

Yesterday on two lane road to relatives (FSDF/NOA activated) the car in the oncoming lane crossed the line into our lane. I noticed that in the few seconds before I took over control to swerve to the right the car had actually turned the wheels away from the oncoming car! That was beyond amazing. I didn’t think that it would have done anything.

I complete agree with OP. FSD is way too fast at left turns and most roundabouts. Musk should focus more on Tesla rather than twitter. The only advantage tesla has right now is the supercharge and FSD, if tesla do not improve FSD, then tesla worths nothing.
OP is in Europe which doesn't have FSD, they have AP, which doesn't handle roundabouts anyway.

I still have problems with FSD taking some highway exits too fast and it often fails to slow down on city/street tight s curves/corners until it's well into the turn forcing hard corrections to avoid going over the center line. Sometimes it goes over the center line anyway. Especially right hand curves with or without lines. So overall Tesla still needs to improve how it handles speed.

How relaxing lol. Tesla is still using map heavily and personally I feel it's 50/50 if it gets the speed right
Hello all. I'm also very new to Tesla (model y 2023, only AP, driving in Europe) and since day one I've been puzzling if my autopilot is not working properly or just not able (anymore?) to slow down when approaching a turn. I now have version 2023-26-7 and still see the same behavior as on day one. Maybe it's important to mention that I bought my car in Germany, but currently I'm driving in the countryside in the south of France, where the speed limit on most country roads is 70-80 km/h, even if they are curvy.

Under the above conditions, my car never tries to slow down, regardless whether I activate Speed Assist or Lane Assist. It just does not happen. I have been testing this for a few weeks on a country road (all lane markings on the road intact). I have found that it always tries to maintain the speed limit, even when the turn is marked with a "Caution, turn ahead" sign. I didn't try to just let it go and see if it would at least slow down in the middle of a curve, that was way too risky for me. For clarification: Speed limit 70 km/h, curve ahead, I would not go in there faster than 50 km/h, especially since I cannot see what is going on behind the curve.

Now interestingly the Manual clearly states "Model Y also adjusts the cruising speed when entering and exiting curves" but it does not mention under which conditions this works and when it does not work.

This makes me consider to book a service for checking if there is someting broken, but since i have read so many different answers which seem to to confirm that speed assist simply does not work reliably outside of Highways, so i actually wonder if that is just the normal behavior of the thing (ignore curves on Land roads).

To summarize: I am totally confused about this Topic.

Hmmm, it Looks like since today suddenly one of the many curves on my road seems to be recognized by my car as it actually DOES slow down and masters that curve perfectly with the appropriate speed. No car in front of me, no traffic on the other Side. All the same Situation as before, it just Works now while i am certain it did not work last week. What is so special about this curve so that suddenly it is recognized, while all other curves except this one are still completely ignored?

So let's see if the car (model y 2023, AP, driving in Europe, SW version 2023-26-7) learns to master more curves over time ...