Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Not Working at All .. Wierd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So got the 2020.20.17 update a week ago and as usual let the car do its thing. Once it was finished I turned off then back on the charge for departure time (noticed you have to do this when the car updates or it wont charge for me to leave in the AM). The car was perfectly fine and acted like it always have, flawlessly up till this monday morning. Once added NOTE tho I did notice i got the notification the SW update was complete on my phone and I swiped that away then another notification came up noting some error with sentry mode (missed catching it before clearing the notifications *smacks head*) Went to leave for work and didnt think any thing about autopilot not working till i got on the highway and notice NOTHING in AP was working. I mean nothing at all, no visualization of any kind, no AP, no curise control or anything.

I have tried the steering wheel buttons nothing. Next tried the wheel buttons and brake pedal, nothing. At work I unplugged the Roadie for Tesla (sentry cam PII computer), turned off sentry mode and did a power down cycle from the screen option. Left the car till I left work and still nothing. I have left all these things unplugged and options off since Monday AM and nothing still. Today in the AM I even tried turning off DATA sharing, singed out of my telsa app on my phone in hopes the car would get a deep sleep cycle. Drove home today and still absolutely nothing.

I have a mobile service appointment for next Tuesday. Im holding my breath they can fix it as by far AP make owning this car the experience I paid for. If any one has any help or ideas please post up. I will make sure to follow up with attempts of fixes suggested and what ever happens with my mobile appointment.

did a power down cycle from the screen option. Left the car till I left work and still nothing.
You may not be doing the power down reset correctly - you need to power down, and then sit in the car without touching anything for 3-5 minutes, until all the little noises have stopped happening. Then you can power it back on or get out or whatever. If you get out of the car before it's done completely powering down it just starts the car back up again, negating the benefits of the process. You may already know all this, just making sure.

• Informative
Reactions: android04 and KenC
You may not be doing the power down reset correctly - you need to power down, and then sit in the car without touching anything for 3-5 minutes, until all the little noises have stopped happening. Then you can power it back on or get out or whatever. If you get out of the car before it's done completely powering down it just starts the car back up again, negating the benefits of the process. You may already know all this, just making sure.
Yes I have done this a few times. Sat in the seat without moving and let the car cycle down.

Example.

Attachments

• 20200713_151219.jpg
    20200713_151219.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 301
Adding to the list of not working today--No auto wipers at all and no tint/anti glare mirrors. Noticed these not working this mornings drive in since we have a good drizzle of rain this morning and every one has head lights on. I know shocking right, driving in Seattle and rain!

So car has been with service since Wednesday. Got a call today that is maybe in shop till end of next week. Service advisor didn't have any Intel on what work has been performed other then its a bigger issue then the tech can determine so far.

the car already has the 3.0 computer in it. Never thought I would miss a car so much. It's a rare beautiful weekend here in the PNW and all I have is the loaner Mazda 3 they gave me
Mazda 3 is a decent car. I thought about getting that as a daily but splurged on a model 3 instead.

I'm very curious what the problem is with your car. Keep us posted. Make sure you get as much info as you can when picking it up. They're known to not communicate anything.

Have the same issue with my car that started shortly after updating to 2020.24.6. Exactly the same problem that started with a Sentry mode failure notification via the app and the loss of visualisations and most functions.

Visualizations would function very brieflyWhen the car was started after a lengthy sleep (hours) then disappear. No autopilot, no FSD, no auto summon, no auto wipers.

2 updates later, now on software version 2020.28.5 and the problem persists.

Tesla did the remote diagnostics and advised that it appears as though the autopilot module would “disappear” for some reason and it would require more in-depth diagnostics are their service center.

Waited 4 weeks for my appointment and just got the car back one day after dropping it off.

They stated they tested all hardware and everything is functioning to spec. Apparently this is due to a buggy software update which they are aware of, and that is affecting other customers and they are working to correct in a future update.

In the interim, the recommendation was to deactivate FSD and wait for the next update.

I hope yours is really a hardware issue that will be fixed when the radar is replaced. If not, it may be due to the software issue, or perhaps I too have a defective radar and it is just a coincidence that mine started to get flakey after an update.

I posted a copy of the service report on my other thread about this issue.

Looking forward about hearing how yours turns out after the radar replacement.

Well, its been 2 days since my visit to the service center and after turning off the “Full self driving visualization preview” (in the autopilot menu) as instructed by the service staff, visualizations, auto pilot, FSD, auto summon, and auto wipers have been functioning flawlessly. It looks like it is indeed a software issue as communicated by the service center. I have not yet tried reactivating sentry mode.

Will be waiting for the next software update before trying to reactivate the full self driving visualization preview option.

Attachments

• CC35BC7E-4950-4BAF-BBF7-BDFCB2CF4B78.jpeg
    CC35BC7E-4950-4BAF-BBF7-BDFCB2CF4B78.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 192
Last edited: