TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AutoPilot - note to drivers and Consumer Reports

Discussion in 'Model X' started by xkwizit, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

One would think it is much easier to fall asleep using Autopilot. But the opposite has occurred in practice. Not only do I not feel sleepy on longer trips but once I get to my destination, I am so much more relaxed.

• Like x 6
    • Love x 1
  2. E-Lectric

E-Lectric Member

Totally agree. Much more relaxing to drive when you know there are systems that can dramatically reduce the likelihood that someone in front of you will hit the breaks and cause a collision. Although, much of the is due to adaptive CC, which is separate from AP, right?

• Like x 1
  3. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

No. It's a part of it. Non AP cars just have old fashioned cruise control that does not adjust based on following distance.

• Like x 1
  4. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

It's the only thing I really miss from the X when I'm driving my S. I'm fine without AP but adaptive cruise would be very nice.

5. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

I rarely use the lane keeping feature but ACC is a must. Luckily they don't seem to screw this up during updates.:)

I got a new MS75D as a loaner the other day. Just about ran into someone when on cruise control since it did not have AP. The kicker should have been when I turned the following distance knob and nothing changed on the dash nor did the little speed circle light up in blue.

6. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

Old fashioned, dumb cruise control should be banned..

7. dfwatt

dfwatt Active Member

#187 dfwatt, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    That's a superb summary - you write like a scientist - are you? I also have experienced some increasing concerns about CR objectivity, and specifically, evidence that they buried the user satisfaction statistics they collected on Model 3 vs. other iconic and highly popular brands, discussed here. I believe that any carefully considered review of the evidence shows the that Model 3 is the best car and best sports sedan that you can buy - period - best defined in terms of a balance of virtues and class-leading functionality on multiple fronts, outlined in detail in the above link/blog on TMC.

I believe that CR has put their hands on the scale more than once in relationship to Tesla, and violated their own principles of objectivity, obviating their claims re: lack of conflict of interest funding. One can only wonder why? Lingering suspicions about Tesla as a company? Some kind of misguided loyalty to ICE and/or more legacy technology as some version of tried-and-true? In any case, they worked hard to bury the user satisfaction stats that might have exposed their lukewarm review of the car, even after the ABS code was revised, and brake distances dropped significantly. While there is no alternative to CR, I now treat their reviews a bit more skeptically.

• Love x 1
  8. AwlBidnz

AwlBidnz Old Guy to be driven around for yrs to come

IF we could just reduce the "bong bong" volume ;0)

• Like x 1
  9. Jer2017

Jer2017 Member

#189 Jer2017, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019

10. AwlBidnz

AwlBidnz Old Guy to be driven around for yrs to come

If anyone still has an online consumer reports account, comments should be made. Personally, I didn't think the article was that bad. Autopilot is not Autonomous. EAP has improved in several ways since they tested it. Additionally, I don't recall them mentioning how the software improves over time. Will be interesting to see when & what is needed for the FSD upgrade that they are having pricing issues over. I assume a new MCU????

11. MaryAnning3

MaryAnning3 Supporting Member

so true. so well put. Thank you.

12. gjlian

gjlian Member

This is an extremely well written post. The only issue I think that is sometimes left out of this and many discussions on AP is the fact that it "lulls the driver" into a false sense of security. You need to always be vigilant when driving with or w/o AP. As I see it AP works very well 99% of the time but its that 1% that gets people into trouble and can in fact be deadly. I know with myself I have only used it for a couple of (1) week trial periods and was impressed but I will always have my reservations...

13. Electroman

One week is not enough to make a judgement on how it will change people's behavior. Talk to someone who has driven for tens of thousands of miles over multiple years.

Start driving in conditions where AP will do very well and stay within speed limits in the beginning. Take time to learn the pluses and minuses of the system. An ounce of common sense is all that is needed: not pushing AP to its limits, driving at a comfortable speed for the conditions, not driving on construction zones, extra watchful or not driving with fuzzy, confusing degraded lane markers, and avoiding scenarios that AP is known to be bad such as widening lanes (lane splits, exits, mergers), and not detecting lane creepers.

You then won't end up writing something like this: "I was in the left lane going at 85 on a 65 road, on a curve when a left exit suddenly popped up, and although the lines were fuzzy it was clear to my eyes and then suddenly... blah blah.. "

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. dfwatt

dfwatt Active Member

Exactly our experience. And it's consistent with research showing that the most neurologically fatiguing aspects of driving have to do with speed matching and Lane centering. Autopilot takes those off your plate and basically instead of those cognitively draining and tiring activities you simply have to supervise the system and intervene periodically when it does some of its less desirable stuff.

I see that less desirable stuff as a function of the system sometimes being too paranoid and other times not paranoid enough. But overall it is a superb system to help the driver on long distance driving. Anyone who has actually worked with it and use it over a period of weeks to months, and who isn't insisting that it do things it can't and isn't certified to do would be loathe to give it up. Is it perfect? Of course not. Is it great? Unquestionably!

15. Electroman

Someone in this thread(or another one) said, they were able to watch for deer crossing the road at this time of the year, much more easily with more alertness driving in AP. Because if you are removed of the mundane tasks of working the pedals and steering, you get a second or two more to eyeball your surroundings.

Your situational awareness is increased, because you don't have to worry about the guy in front slowing down or the next curve.

• Like x 1
  16. SR22pilot

SR22pilot Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1