Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot - note to drivers and Consumer Reports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I knew that. I meant it in the traditional sense not an actual ignition being there . Anything constructive to say?
If you knew that, why did you reference something that obviously does not exist? It just makes you sound like someone that has never been in a Tesla before, and it's hard to take suggestions (even if it is possibly a good suggestion) from someone that seems like they are pontificating and have never actually experienced the car they are trying to make improvements to.

On the flip side, fingerprint to enable the car rather than a key could be an interesting development. You'd want a scanner on each of the door handles (or at least the driver's door) so that you could actually get into the car. And then hope it doesn't ice over in the winter :).

• Disagree
Reactions: scottf200
How else would you describe the area where an ignition would traditionally be? Without being long-winded. I am 100% a Tesla fan and will be a Model 3 owner when it comes, already reserved. I have convinced my parents to replace their 2010 Chevy traverse for a Model X. They are going through the process currently with financing with their bank. With that said please understand I was not criticizing the current implementation. I was just suggesting a possible compromise given the media's BS that keeps being spread. I have test driven a Model S so I am somewhat familiar with the current vehicles.

How else would you describe the area where an ignition would traditionally be? Without being long-winded. I am 100% a Tesla fan and will be a Model 3 owner when it comes, already reserved. I have convinced my parents to replace their 2010 Chevy traverse for a Model X. They are going through the process currently with financing with their bank. With that said please understand I was not criticizing the current implementation. I was just suggesting a possible compromise given the media's BS that keeps being spread. I have test driven a Model S so I am somewhat familiar with the current vehicles.
I'd call it either the steering column, or the dashboard, depending on where you put it.

And I'm glad you've test driven a Tesla. I apologize for seeming curt. At least half, probably much more, of the shitstorm around Auto Pilot is from people that actually understand nothing about Auto Pilot, electric cars, or Teslas. They just know someone died in a self-driving car, which is foreign and scary to them. And your being new to the forum I had no bio, signature, or past posts to go read and see if you had an real world experience with Tesla. Welcome to the forum, btw! I can't wait for my own Model 3 (our X is the wife's/family car. I do seem to be driving it a disproportionate amount of the time, though :) ).

Steering column would've been a better choice, the word wasn't coming to mind haha :) . I understand the assumption that I may not have been in one before. Like you said I'm a new member to the forum and things are a bit tense recently with non-owners trying to pass their judgement when they haven't been inside one

Thank you for the welcome! I'll have to get my dad on here as well, there are a lot of good reads. I'm looking forward to driving their X when they get it and even more excited to build my Model 3 when my reservation comes up! And obviously to drive it too haha

Reactions: xkwizit and ccutrer
@Purralator - welcome to the forum and we will welcome your dad too. There's definitely some excellent info sharing on this forum with real life advice on both making best use of your Tesla as well as dealing with any issues.

And yes, it gets toasty in here from time to time with some non-owners and others with financial motives trying to make headlines but if you can get past that..it's an excellent community.

PS: Is your screen name a twist on the good old oil filter company Purolator?

One fatality in 130 million miles doesn't prove anything one way or the other. Had Joshua Brown been carrying a passenger, the fatality rate would be worse than the US average. If there's another fatality today, same thing. Tesla should not be comparing this to overall US fleet averages.

I agree. These are the kind of stats Elon should be staying away from at this stage.

This 1 in 130M should all be put in context.

Reactions: Breezy
I own a "classic" S85 built before the autopilot hardware was introduced (missed it by ~2weeks), thus so far I had no experience with the autopilot. However, today I left my car at the service centre and got a loaner with autopilot. My first impression is that it is very cool. One thing that makes me feel a bit uneasy that sometimes I am not sure if it is on or not -- maybe I am just a noob and did not learn how to see the status on the dash. Yes, there is an audio-beep signal when it turns off for whatever reason (e.g. lost lane markings on some side road where they are not clear), however with passengers talking in the car and some outside noise, it is easy to miss. I would prefer some strong visual indicator on the dash screen, e.g. switching the view back to the classic car rendering when autopilot is off.

The point I am trying to make is that with some software tweaks it could be made more obvious when the system is disengaged to increase its safety as I fear the danger of the driver thinking autopilot is on, when it is not and that leading to some accident.

Elon has been tweeting this week about improvements to AP and also possibility AP can be vastly improved using current hardware. Very exciting news otherwise I have no advice for Tesla regarding safety due to the fact they know what the hell they are doing! Certainly far more than me :)

Reactions: FarmerDave
Seems like someone /Tesla should point out that Autopilot was the original name given to cruise control over half a century (good grief, am I that old?) ago. Apparently no one gave the name a second thought and no one confused it with the word "autonomous"

I'm not sure that's a winning argument. After all, they started off calling it "Auto-pilot" but it ended up as "cruise control." Why didn't it stick? Probably because consumers thought that name implied functionality the feature didn't have. If we don't learn from the mistakes of the past, we are doomed to repeat them.

I'm not sure that's a winning argument. After all, they started off calling it "Auto-pilot" but it ended up as "cruise control." Why didn't it stick? Probably because consumers thought that name implied functionality the feature didn't have. If we don't learn from the mistakes of the past, we are doomed to repeat them.

I'm just trying to picture my Grandmother hopping in her 1958 Imperial, erroneously thinking the car had some futuristic implied functionality like 8 track, air conditioning or self driving ....

• Funny
Reactions: KaiserSoze
With the recent allegations by some Tesla drivers on the failure of Autopilot on their cars and the media jumping on those incidents, this is a quick primer for every Tesla driver (including spouses, siblings, sons and daughters) and Laura MacCleery, VP of Consumer Policy and Mobilization for Consumer Reports:

Autopilot by definition is a system that is used to control the trajectory of a vehicle (aircraft, boat, spacecraft, motor vehicle) without constant "hands-on" control by a human operator. The level of control that an autopilot can perform varies even within aircrafts that are capable of using autopilots. However, autopilot should not be confused with autonomous. An autonomous driving vehicle does not need human intervention. It can navigate without human input solely based on sensing its environment.

Tesla's autopilot is a developing suite of features that meets NHTSA's level 2 unlike Google's car that meets the level 3 designation. As Elon Musk has said many times, Tesla's autopilot represents baby steps towards achieving full autonomy.

As of writing this note, Tesla's autopilot allows you to maintain lane, change lanes, and park the car. While you should keep your hands on the steering wheel, when driving on a straight road with minimal traffic, you may take off your hands from time to time to relax your arms. However, when encountering curves, construction zones, roads that don't have clear lane markings, busy traffic, inclement weather such as rain or snow, and even direct bright sun, you should keep your hand on the steering wheel and be ready to take control if needed.

Remember, when you are in an aircraft and if the pilot were to put the aircraft in autopilot mode, what would you expect them to do. I believe you wouldn't want them to be roaming the aisles and talking to passengers leaving the flight control to the computer. It's the same with your car on autopilot.

And definitely DO NOT:
a) Go to sleep
b) Read any kind of literature
c) Play games
d) Watch anything other than the road and the dash/screen on your car
e) Get so engrossed in conversation with other passengers in the car or on the phone that you are not aware of road conditions.

Did you notice that all of the above also apply to driving any vehicle? I hope you get the point - it is NOT AN AUTONOMOUS vehicle so don't act like you are driving one. There is NO autonomous vehicle authorized on public roads at this time in any part of the world. Once again, autopilot is NOT autonomous. Autopilot still requires you - it will assist you but doesn't replace you.

I am sure many of you must be questioning then why have the AutoPilot. After putting over 18,000 miles on my car with autopilot, here are the advantages:
1. It does really well compared to a human driver for keeping the center of the lane.
2. The few minutes you get to relax your arms go a long way in reducing fatigue especially on long road trips.
3. Since you can relax out of a fixed body posture and less fatiguu, it helps the driver to remain more alert and less likely to doze off.
4. The ultrasonic sensors and the radar are quicker than humans to detect if another vehicle is getting into your lane and slow down your car. They also warn you instantly if you need to take over control and avoid a crash.

Ms. MacCleery/Consumer Reports - the Tesla owners who paid for the AP technology are NOT guinea pigs. Guinea pigs don't fork out $2500 to be part of an experiment. When we purchase the AP option and then subsequently enable it (Tesla makes the driver enable it from the Settings), we take responsibility of using this developing technology.

For your four recommendations, the only one I agree is about consumer education. The other three:
a) Disable autosteer till hands on wheel are required - definitely NOT. Not only is it a huge step backwards towards achieving autonomous driving, it defeats the very purpose of reducing driver fatigue. The current version gives just about sufficient time to relax your posture and reduce fatigue.
b) Stop referring to as Autopilot - It meets the current widely used concept of autopilot and changing the name is not going to make it safer. People will still call it AutoPilot no matter what Tesla renames it too.
c) No more beta releases - test within the lab. Do you know of any automotive lab that emulates every single road condition? Is it even possible to create one?? Google has been trying to collect real life data from its own Level 3 cars on public roads. However, that approach has been a slow process, does not collect sufficient data and delays the significant advantages of autonomous driving. The practice of using beta testers from public is prevalent amongst several industries including healthcare. If consumers are willing to pay Tesla or anyone else to pay for emerging technologies, then don't brute force your way and cripple their rights.

My plea to regulatory bodies and insurance companies:
1. Implement laws that support emerging technologies not cripple them.
2. Improve and standardize our roads - make our roads smarter.
3. Provide incentives for drivers and vehicles that use emerging technologies such as Autopilot as they reduce accidents and improve safety.

And to my fellow Tesla drivers - educate other drivers in your household about autopilot and help them use it responsibly. DRIVE RESPONSIBLY AND SAFE WITH AP!!

And finally back to Consumer Reports and other media - STOP MISLEADING THE PUBLIC - REPORT ON FACTS AND DON'T MISUSE STATISTICS TO PROVE A POINT!!!

Disclaimer: I do not own Tesla stock nor do I short/long Tesla stock at the time of writing. I do own Tesla vehicles with AP enabled and my only interest in writing this post is to promote autonomous driving. You have my permission to reproduce the above post outside of this forum in its entirety. However, if you want to publish parts of it, please contact me for permission.
Well said.

I had a thought on AP safety which could be developed and rolled out to existing Models.

1) Create a training program administered by the touch screen that must be completed in full before allowing AP to be enabled. This program can only begin when in Park. It would involve the driver doing several things like:
-Turning on AP with the instrument lever
-responding to a "place hands on wheel" notice
-lane change
Of course the car is not moving and all the different procedures would be sudo/fake in terms of your actions actually controlling the AP during this tutorial. It would also have a lengthy video cautioning the don'ts. At the end of this the driver creates a unique AP password that is not to be given out carelessly (ie. You don't give the AP password to your 16yr old son unless he has gone through the same training app)

2) After above #1 is completed now when your Model is started and you enter your vehicle the touchscreen asks if you plan to use AP during your drive. If so enter the AP password. AP can't be activated unless this happens further insuring people understand.

3) Future Models have a biometric finger reader near ignition to have driver profiles for the car. A driver profile can only have AP enabled if specified by the profile. A requirement would be to go through the training app before allowing that thumbprint to be able to activate AP on the instrument lever.

I completely agree this shouldn't be necessary but from a PR aspect might be a good idea
Why?, I am not buying a gun for God's sake.

• Love
Reactions: madodel
Consumer reports have a point. If autopilot is not 100% safe and they can not guarantee that no one ever will die or get hurt whilst using it we should ban it even if it safer than driving without autopilot. For that same reason we should also ban all cars without auto pilot, bicycles, scissors, knives, guns, balloons and pretzels. I am sure Consumer Reports can provide us with a more comprehensive list.

Likewise we should remove other safety devices like crumble zones, air bags and seat belts because they give people a false sense of security and 30000 people die each year as a result of using a car equipped with those clearly dangerous devices.

Likewise we should remove other safety devices like crumble zones, air bags and seat belts because they give people a false sense of security and 30000 people die each year as a result of using a car equipped with those clearly dangerous devices.

Indeed, I would go further and make it compulsory for all car manufacturers to install a large sharp steel spike to the center of the steering wheel pointed towards the chest of the driver, so in case of a crash, the driver would be impaled by it. This would make it very likely that he/she is killed. Such device would reduce traffic accidents dramatically as drivers would drive much more carefully.

Bogus logic from some posters. None of those safety devices allows a driver to take his eyes off the road, or stop driving and take a nap. How many people use cruise control in heavy traffic?

The choice is really simple. If you are a good driver, drive yourself. Your chance of accident is lower than averages.
If you are a pretty bad driver or don't know how to drive or keep your car within the lane, then let the AP drive you around, and hope it lowers your chance of accident. Then, you never improve and remain a bad driver for life :(

Last edited:
Bogus logic from some posters. None of those safety devices allows a driver to take his eyes off the road, or stop driving and take a nap. How many people use cruise control in heavy traffic?
<snip>
Are you suggesting people don't use 'adaptive cruise control' aka gap (Ford), aka traffic aware CC ... traffic that has varying speeds. Certainly they do.

In the literal sense, "Auto" can mean "automobile" or "by itself or automatic". "Pilot" = "a person who operates the flying controls of an aircraft", i.e. a "driver." So, we have either "automobile driver" or "automatic driver."

Twenty years from now, when all cars are fully self driving, you'll might people say, "Honey, could you get me a sandwich? I'll eat it on the drive as soon as I engage the _________". Or, "Let's send the ________ to pick up Sally from soccer." Let's fill in the blank. What is the most likely please that they will use? "Autonomous mode?" "Self driving feature?" Nah, all too kludgy. There already exists a word which matches perfectly. "Autopilot." And that's why Tesla has gone for it. It's a land grab, but in a decade or two it will describe the situation perfectly.

Finally, there is the aircraft sense, where the autopilot is engaged 90% of the time. Aircraft autopilots present far fewer demands of the pilots when engaged than Autopilot does. For example, there is no beep that constantly requests pilots place their hands on the yolk, or restrict the aircraft speed. It disengages by itself very rarely. Most aircraft can even land themselves in poor visibility.

Given that Autopilot is even less capable than aircraft autopilots, we need a term which implies an even higher level of chaperoning. And the level of chaperoning must be high. Aircraft autopilots can cause even professional, trained pilots to become confused out and place their aircraft at risk when autopilot is assist not fully available, or disengages unexpectedly, as we've seen with Air France Flight 447 and Asiana Airlines Flight 217.

Google has seen this effect as well in their level 2 autonomous driving trials, causing them to skip their development and head directly to full autonomy instead. The brain just does not respond to high levels of automation, like autopilots, in the same way it responds to lower levels of automation, like cruise control. When bored, the brain turns itself off or focuses on something else, if even subconsciously. It is beyond most human's ability to control. Cruise control will never make you bored. If you use Autopilot enough, however, you will get bored eventually. And that's dangerous.

We can't use "Copilot" as the name, as that implies the car is your equal, when it clearly is not. May I suggest, instead, "Zombie Mode." It assigns the correct level of intelligence to the car's automatic systems, implying that it will work most of the time, but is not capable of anything fancy (like stoplights), just like a zombie. Like a zombie, it is capable of focusing on a goal single-mindedly for long periods of time. Like a zombie, it may occasionally do odd things, like jerk you to the right. Like a zombie, it requires a high level of vigilance when one is around. Most importantly, though, zombies are contagious, which is a constant reminder not to let the little zombie mode inside of you turn on while it operates, lest your distraction endanger yourself or others. Two zombies does not one good driver make.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: madodel