Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot now using high precision GPS maps in Los Angeles? Slowed for curve it couldn't see

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So yesterday I was traveling east on the 10 from Santa Monica into downtown L.A., headed into the sharp left 90 degree transition to the 110 north toward Pasadena. It seemed to me that the car slowed down significantly all on its own before there was any visual indication of the very sharp left hand curve. There was a car in front of me but it was at least 15-20 car lengths ahead - far enough that my car normally does not slow if the lead car is braking.

Again, perhaps my imagination - anyone else notice this?

So yesterday I was traveling east on the 10 from Santa Monica into downtown L.A., headed into the sharp left 90 degree transition to the 110 north toward Pasadena. It seemed to me that the car slowed down significantly all on its own before there was any visual indication of the very sharp left hand curve. There was a car in front of me but it was at least 15-20 car lengths ahead - far enough that my car normally does not slow if the lead car is braking.

Hmmmm. That is weird, I did the exact same drive yesterday without autopilot and the car never went more than 5mph! (Sigh, 5pm LA traffic). Yup, 5 whopping miles per hour was the highlight of the commute.

Perhaps some other Tesla driver has negotiated this curve under autopilot, and the human input has updated the autopilot's database for all Teslas -- including yours.

-- Ardie
Ever forward, ever safer.

• Informative
Reactions: calisnow
Here in Sacramento, I have confirmed a curve (Business 80 north, Arden way off ramp) that autopilot slows down for also. It slows down with either tacc or full autopilot engaged and no cars in front of it. Speed setting on tacc doesn't change but the car dramatically slows prior to the sharp curve. It was pretty amazing the first time I discovered it. Tested it multiple times and it is definitely happening.

Here in Sacramento, I have confirmed a curve (Business 80 north, Arden way off ramp) that autopilot slows down for also. It slows down with either tacc or full autopilot engaged and no cars in front of it. Speed setting on tacc doesn't change but the car dramatically slows prior to the sharp curve. It was pretty amazing the first time I discovered it. Tested it multiple times and it is definitely happening.

Relagustin - curious to know if this is new behavior in your car? Do you remember the car not behaving this way on that same curve in some prior firmware?

Is there perhaps a speed limit sign just before the curve?

I actually noticed this today near me in New Jersey which never has happened before.

My car has slowed for some curves for months. I wonder if some here are overlooking the OP's hypothesis that it is now slowing for a curve too far ahead for the lane camera to see.

Just here in my easy chair rather than in the car, it doesn't seem logical -- wouldn't too far ahead to see be too far ahead to slow down?

Just here in my easy chair rather than in the car, it doesn't seem logical -- wouldn't too far ahead to see be too far ahead to slow down?

Not if it's a 90 degree curve, as the OP stated.

If I know there's a very sharp curve coming, and I'm going fast (the speed limit of course), I'll start to slow down before I can see the curve (usually from either driving the road before, or from reading the plethora of signs that are displayed for sharp curves)

There's a spot I drive past about once a week where the car incorrectly slows down. There is a left-side exit which rises over the highway and curves right. My navigation system always wants me to take this exit, but I stay on the highway. Since it stays close to the highway initially, the navigation system can't tell I didn't take the exit until somewhat later. The highway is basically straight, while the overpass curves. My car always slows down for this curve, even though it's plainly not visible. It has done this since at least 7.0 and I think it may have done it even with version 6 (but I'm not sure on that). There certainly may have been a change or improvement here, the basic possibility of slowing for a curve the car doesn't directly see has been there for a while.

• Informative
Reactions: calisnow

So, this screengrab is of the curve, and the X is where I recall it began to slow from my cruising speed of around 75 mph (it was after midnight - normally this is so clogged one is just crawling along, as another poster mentioned. Perhaps it was even earlier where it began to slow. On the other hand perhaps my memory is faulty and the car could see something of the curve. What I should do is test it again a few more times and report back.

Screen Shot 2016-05-23 at 10.34.37 AM.png

I saw this happen yesterday taking the 91 West to the 57 South. There weren't a ton of cars around so I let the car do its thing. It slowed down to what seemed to be a pretty unreasonably low speed, perhaps off the yellow warning signs, then it sped up once the road turned straight. I suspect this is in a recent software update. I'm on 2.18.77 right now.