Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Off-ramp Speed Reduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mardak

Oct 13, 2018
USA
Have people noticed the maximum speed automatically being reduced (with animation) when taking an off-ramp?

I don't think I noticed this with 2018.36.2, so maybe this was part of the Navigate On Autopilot although looking through those videos seem to indicate the maximum speed stayed at the originally set value while here it's updating to even lower than the detected speed limit sign.

autopilot offramp.gif

Here the detected speed limit goes from 65 to 40 while the Autopilot speed goes from 70mph to 25mph. I did not adjust the speed, so Autopilot is slowing down to the new set speed by itself with no vehicles ahead.

I don't think I noticed this with 2018.36.2, so maybe this was part of the Navigate On Autopilot
That feature is not new, it’s been present for a few months now. And it is not part of Navigate on Auto Pilot, which has not yet been released to all owners (that is only available in beta to those in the Early Access Program). The V9 release which is in the process of being released to all owners does not contain Navigate on Auto Pilot.

Yep, been around for a few months. If there’s a stop light/sign at the end of the ramp, I usually have autopilot off, so i’m manually controlling the slowing down and don’t let it control the speed. I really like this feature when you’re taking one highway ramp to another - auto slowdown for a tight corner, and then automatically speed back up to the speed limit when you complete the turn on the ramp.

I really like this feature when you’re taking one highway ramp to another - auto slowdown for a tight corner, and then automatically speed back up to the speed limit when you complete the turn on the ramp.

Except on the road I travel on daily (highway to highway ramp) the car wants to slow down to 45mph on a very straight section of road that most cars are doing 65mph on. Very annoying. I have to manually press the accelerator to keep up with traffic and avoid being an annoyance to those behind me.

Except on the road I travel on daily (highway to highway ramp) the car wants to slow down to 45mph on a very straight section of road that most cars are doing 65mph on. Very annoying. I have to manually press the accelerator to keep up with traffic and avoid being an annoyance to those behind me.
You do understand FSD/NOA is still beta testing and this is world wide on every freeway where Tesla vehicles are sold. There is going to be problems just like Apple has.

• Disagree
Reactions: jsmay311
You do understand FSD/NOA is still beta testing and this is world wide on every freeway where Tesla vehicles are sold. There is going to be problems just like Apple has.

Uh, yeah, I wasn't trying to say that I expected it to be perfect at this point in time. I was merely pointing out a counter-example to the experience of @swaltner who liked the feature going from highway to highway.

In fact, the behavior I'm seeing doesn't even seem to be related to slowing down for turns at all, but rather a general policy of slowing down to 45mph on highway interchange ramps, regardless of the road layout/curvature. Hopefully in the future they can be a little less conservative and adjust speed only when necessary for tight curves.

In fact, at the tail end of this particular ramp, just as it gets ready to merge onto the new highway, there is a sharp curve, but at that point the car has decided to speed back up to 70mph, and in earlier releases it has even overshot the lane. Thankfully this behavior appears to have improved in later releases, so yes, I understand it's evolving. But that doesn't mean I can't share my opinion about unwanted current behavior, does it?

i would agree the "calculated slow down" is only due to "this is ramp" function. this will occur when merging between highways, where speed doesn't need to be reduced.

most of the time i'll disengage cruise on these situations.