Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot on 2 lane highways

cstork

Supporting Member
Oct 29, 2018
Colorado
While autopilot is generally impressive on curvy 2 lane highways in Colorado, I am a bit surprised it doesn't hold the lane better. It often drifts to the center line, near on-coming traffic. This happens especially on right hand curves. I think computers should be better at this......

Reactions: mikes_fsd

RTPEV

Mar 21, 2016
Durham, NC
My experience with AP on curvy highways (interstate though, not 2-lane, so probably even less curvy) is that AP will in fact hold itself centered in the lane, but sometimes this is not desirable. For example, if you are in the left lane going around a left curve, passing a semi in the right lane, I think our natural instinct is to hug the left shoulder. Having the car maintain a perfect centering is a bit unnerving, to the point where my wife asked that I do the driving on those highways. I do somewhat agree with her!

ferdboyce

Dec 14, 2013
Seattle WA
My experience with AP on curvy highways (interstate though, not 2-lane, so probably even less curvy) is that AP will in fact hold itself centered in the lane, but sometimes this is not desirable. For example, if you are in the left lane going around a left curve, passing a semi in the right lane, I think our natural instinct is to hug the left shoulder. Having the car maintain a perfect centering is a bit unnerving, to the point where my wife asked that I do the driving on those highways. I do somewhat agree with her!

ferdboyce

Dec 14, 2013
Seattle WA
I've been using "co-pilot" (I still can't call it "autopilot") in various iterations since 2013. Notwithstanding numerous software updates, I've noted little improvement in the ability to negotiate lane control at the crest of an uphill right turning curve. Invariably, the car drifts toward the center line, occasionally crossing it before correcting. There've been enough occasions that I've had to re-take control to avoid a problem that I don't trust AP on curvy two lane roads any more. And I, too, have noticed the tendency to 'drift' too closely to a semi when passing on a left hand curve on the Interstate. I would have thought by now that these anomalies would have long since been addressed.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC