Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot on 2014 P90D vs (HW3) Autopilot on MSP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick Background: so I just received my MSP, had a few issues, some are body, so it is going to take a couple weeks and Tesla gave me a 2014 MS P90D as a rental; my first experience with a legacy MS. Not too bad, though if it had been washed that would have been nice... I digress. Two observations and a question:

So I started to use the Autopilot and noticed some differences of course. I was driving between Denver and Colorado Springs, a route I take often, and there are a few phantom brake points that my M3 and MSP always gave me the autopilot brake-check. I braced for it with the MS P90D and it didn't! not once. Why? What setting or input is lacking with the HW1 package that would actually cause the car to NOT have a phantom braking issue?

The next thing I noticed was when I used the turn signal in Autopilot. The MSP90D's visualization makes a dotted blue line, lets me ease the car over, and then it just resumes autopilot once I am in the lane. It doesn't seem perfect and will drop out of autopilot a couple times, though it seems with some practice I was able to make it more smooth. Why is this not a feature on current vehicles? I have EHP on my MSP, so it does the lane changes itself (obviously ideal) but without EHP.. this seems like a better option than the lane control being disabled during lane changes and having to be re-activated, it seems like it should be an option that can be used or disabled.

I was driving in heavy fog with the MS P90D, and I noticed a vehicle appeared on the visualization that I could not see, which is great! Is the radar still active on these vehicles? Or is the camera just that good? This vehicle Infront of me did not have tail lights on (was after midnight...), likely had an electrical issue with his lights because his headlights were dim, but on. the lack of side cameras kind-a sucks, but seems like the frontal cameras and radar perform well. Is the radar still active on these? Does anyone know? My thought in the fog was to leave the cruse control on, to get the additional safety support, but no lane control... though maybe that would have been safer.

HW1 is a completely different implementation of AP than HW2+ and never had the phantom braking problems reported for newer cars. Auto Lane Change, which was included in AP1, was removed from the basic AP package when that became standard in early 2019, probably to encourage people to upgrade to EAP or FSD. AP1 was always an extra cost option.

Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
HW1 is a completely different implementation of AP than HW2+ and never had the phantom braking problems reported for newer cars. Auto Lane Change, which was included in AP1, was removed from the basic AP package when that became standard in early 2019, probably to encourage people to upgrade to EAP or FSD. AP1 was always an extra cost option.
Wasn't HW1 a collab with Mobileye?