Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot on 2019 M3 SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, so I recently purchased a 2019 M3 SR+ with low miles and a 05/19 build. I was upset to find out when I registered my Tesla that it did not include autopilot - only autopilot safety, which does not include auto steer. Apparently I have to pay $3K to upgrade - WTF??? I thought Tesla changed in April 2019 to all cars having autopilot included? I have HW3 on the car and all…. What gives??

Any insight here would be appreciated.

My 2020 M3 has auto steer and I have only used it a handful of times. I find it annoying. For reasons of safety, you have to keep some pressure on the steering wheel or you will be prompted at least once a minute to do so. I respect the need for safety but it actually defeats the purpose of auto steer. But it might come in handy for anyone who finds themselves sleepy behind the wheel. That constant prompting might help keep you awake, but even so, it would make more sense to just pull over and take a nap. It's certainly not worth the $3000.

There were special order Model 3 SRs that did not get AP as standard in April 2019. Maybe yours is one of them. I would ask Tesla about that. Was the car advertised as having AP before you bought it? If so, contact the seller.
I purchased it through a third party dealer (Acura of Palm Beach). Car is still under warranty until May 4, 2023, so original owner would have taken ownership then in 2019. Car even shows a 05/19 build dates on the door jam sticker… I feel dupped here. Do you think Tesla will activate it for me? I have reached out to [email protected] to inquire…. Just wondering if I’m wrong about my assumptions that a May 2019 build with HW3 configuration included should have full autopilot features….

I purchased it through a third party dealer (Acura of Palm Beach). Car is still under warranty until May 4, 2023, so original owner would have taken ownership then in 2019. Car even shows a 05/19 build dates on the door jam sticker… I feel dupped here. Do you think Tesla will activate it for me? I have reached out to [email protected] to inquire…. Just wondering if I’m wrong about my assumptions that a May 2019 build with HW3 configuration included should have full autopilot features….

Going from memory, that was not a hard and fast rule. It was probably cars ORDERED after april 2019, not all cars DELIVERED after april of 2019, but again I am going from memory.

As for "do I think tesla will activate it for you", while you can certainly ask, I would say there is very (very very very very very very very very) little chance of that happening.

Going from memory, that was not a hard and fast rule. It was probably cars ORDERED after april 2019, not all cars DELIVERED after april of 2019, but again I am going from memory.

As for "do I think tesla will activate it for you", while you can certainly ask, I would say there is very (very very very very very very very very) little chance of that happening.
Seems pretty clear to me on their website, "As of April 2019, all new Tesla's... If a car is built in April and delivered in May, it sure seems like my car would have been included. Not sure what legal stance this could be interpreted otherwise....

Gosh I hope I don't have to get attorneys involved in this... Ugh

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221009-102803_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20221009-102803_Chrome~2.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 266
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Seems pretty clear to me on their website, "As of April 2019, all new Tesla's... If a car is built in April and delivered in May, it sure seems like my car would have been included. Not sure what legal stance this could be interpreted otherwise....

Gosh I hope I don't have to get attorneys involved in this... Ugh
Here is a thread here on this website, where someone was complaining in May of 2019 that they just took delivery of a vehicle without autopilot and "can I get it free now?"

The additional features on the used vehicle you purchased likely said autopilot convenience features (not autopilot). I dont think tesla will do anything for a vehicle that you purchased from someone else (not them) that doesnt have autopilot. It sounds harsh, but its up to a purchaser to verify that a vehicle they are purchasing has the features and specifications they expect. If you had purchased it from tesla and it said "autopilot included" then you would have a solid case.

Otherwise, your issue is with the dealership you purchased from, at least in my opinion, if they represented the car as having autopilot.

Reactions: Lephturn
What I said earlier about AP not becoming standard on certain Model 3s came from a TeslaTap article (Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap), but I haven’t been able to find any other references to back that up. Tesla‘s announcement about AP becoming standard (An Update to Our Vehicle Lineup) doesn’t mention any exceptions.

I don’t know what Tesla will do for you, but they should at least explain to you why AP isn’t standard in your car, so keep pushing it.

What I said earlier about AP not becoming standard on certain Model 3s came from a TeslaTap article (Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap), but I haven’t been able to find any other references to back that up. Tesla‘s announcement about AP becoming standard (An Update to Our Vehicle Lineup) doesn’t mention any exceptions.

I don’t know what Tesla will do for you, but they should at least explain to you why AP isn’t standard in your car, so keep pushing it.

From my memory, it wasnt standard on any SRs that they delivered (people could still decontent a SR+ and pay less for an SR). You could also then upgrade it to a SR+ later:

Note the OP in that thread, stating that they had a dec 2019 SR, that they were paying to upgrade to SR+. They also state "cant get 2k AP upgrade" which means their car didnt come with AP, even though it was a 2019 SR.

Pure speculation on my part, but I am going to guess that this car that this OP bought is likely like that (an SR upgraded to an SR+), or something similar.

From my memory, it wasnt standard on any SRs that they delivered (people could still decontent a SR+ and pay less for an SR). You could also then upgrade it to a SR+ later:

Note the OP in that thread, stating that they had a dec 2019 SR, that they were paying to upgrade to SR+. They also state "cant get 2k AP upgrade" which means their car didnt come with AP, even though it was a 2019 SR.

Pure speculation on my part, but I am going to guess that this car that this OP bought is likely like that (an SR upgraded to an SR+), or something similar.
Well you guys were all right. On the phone with Tesla today and they basically said the original owner had the option to upgrade to AP but didn't. Sooo, it's on me. Lesson learned.

I am still confused as to trim and range. My dash show SR+ but car only charges to 210 miles at 100%. Was going to try to drain to near 0% then full recharge to see if perhaps battery calibration needs reset.

Most of all, trying to figure what range should I have .. thought it was 250? I see the stated range on car is 225wh/mile which makes sense on the 54kw battery. Just not sure what I should be seeing here at 100%.

Well you guys were all right. On the phone with Tesla today and they basically said the original owner had the option to upgrade to AP but didn't. Sooo, it's on me. Lesson learned.

I am still confused as to trim and range. My dash show SR+ but car only charges to 210 miles at 100%. Was going to try to drain to near 0% then full recharge to see if perhaps battery calibration needs reset.

Most of all, trying to figure what range should I have .. thought it was 250? I see the stated range on car is 225wh/mile which makes sense on the 54kw battery. Just not sure what I should be seeing here at 100%.

SRs only came with 220 I think. You likely need to verify with tesla if their records show the car is a SR or an SR+. My gut feeling is that there is something going on there with the fact that your car might have been a SR that was upgraded. If Tesla says its a SR, perhaps you can unwind your deal on the car since it does not meet the expectation you had for autopilot.

Its also possible the car has that much degradation.

Showing 210 miles at 100% is about right for a 2019 Model 3 SR+ which had EPA 240 mile range or WLTP 254. Mine is the same.