Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot on Beta trunk - so good!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the sweet spot!

I became an FSD beta tester, then let my FSD subscription expire.

I remain on the FSD beta trunk, and now have the best Autopilot Tesla offers. After getting by willies out with FSD beta, I had to let it go. The intense cabin camera scrutiny was my main reason

Now I can use the latest software for Autopilot, without all the Nazi-like cabin camera hawkin' my every move. I love to drive, and just really need the Autopilot updates. The latest 12 beta (2022.12.3.20) *without* FSD has an Autopilot that is much better behaved. It releases much easier, if you use your blinker. It follows turns better. It has better visuals (not the FSD visuals, but better than the standard software). Much less phantom braking than I've ever experienced. Etc, etc

So just a quick post to let folks know: if you don't need the FSD fiasco, my favorite route is to get INTO the beta program then let the subscription expire. Absolutely noticeable improvements to Autopilot, hands down

PS - later on down the road, I may give the FSD beta proper a try again.. but I despise that cabin camera watchful eye. I use Autopilot when I actually would like assistance, it's a drag that even Autopilot while have FSD beta turned on is such a nuisance

I'm in the sweet spot!

I remain on the FSD beta trunk, and now have the best Autopilot Tesla offers. After getting by willies out with FSD beta, I had to let it go. The intense cabin camera scrutiny was my main reason

Now I can use the latest software for Autopilot, without all the Nazi-like cabin camera hawkin' my every move. I love to drive, and just really need the Autopilot updates. The latest 12 beta (2022.12.3.20) *without* FSD has an Autopilot that is much better behaved. It releases much easier, if you use your blinker. It follows turns better. It has better visuals (not the FSD visuals, but better than the standard software). Much less phantom braking than I've ever experienced. Etc, etc

So just a quick post to let folks know: if you don't need the FSD fiasco, my favorite route is to get INTO the beta program then let the subscription expire. Absolutely noticeable improvements to Autopilot, hands down

PS - later on down the road, I may give the FSD beta proper a try again.. but I despise that cabin camera watchful eye. I use Autopilot when I actually would like assistance, it's a drag that even Autopilot while have FSD beta turned on is such a nuisance

Wonder how many people would relinquish FSDb just because they don't like the "cabin camera watchful eye," esp given the effort made to get in.

So basically for FSDb users that have no issues with their cabin camera (most everyone), they can just keep using FSDb.

Wonder how many people would relinquish FSDb just because they don't like the "cabin camera watchful eye,"...
Many have no problems but I do get very annoyed by the stricter surveillance from the FSD beta.

I endured the Safety Score challenge because of the excitement that Pure Vision would be so much better than radar but I paid more money to get more freedom, not less.

Oh it was easy. I loved the FSD beta, but now I prefer to drive without being hassled- so I let my FSD subscription expire

While I was using FSD beta, my autopilot demanded cabin camera attention. That was awful after a while. I actually had to DISABLE autopilot in order to use My iPhone or look elsewhere. That got old once the fun of paying Tesla to test their product wore off a bit

Because I was in the beta, I’m on that software cycle even though I let FSD subscription expire. So now I get excellent improvements on autopilot (associated with the beta updates), which I can use when I want to divert my attention briefly (no more cabin red eye)

I have no reason to try FSD again, for now, until it vastly improves

Autopilot in the beta cycle is definitely better than autopilot in the normal cycle, is my observation. It was worth ‘getting in’ to get to that AP driving stack!

Wonder how many people would relinquish FSDb just because they don't like the "cabin camera watchful eye," esp given the effort made to get in.

So basically for FSDb users that have no issues with their cabin camera (most everyone), they can just keep using FSDb.
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. So far, I haven't had any cabin camera warning issues while FSD Beta is being used. Both sunglass on and off over thousands of km...

Reactions: Dewg
I didn’t have issues, when I chose to test FSD

I sometimes need the car to take over, while not giving full attention. With FSD beta enabled, that doesn’t work.. even if it’s just normal Autopilot

The point of the post is to share the benefit of being in the beta OS in order to take advantage of the better Autopilot for real-world use. It’s a better implementation than the stable OS

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I’m in the beta but I do find cabin video capture creepy.

A cartoonized generic visualization that detects only forbidden actions like “phone looks” would be ideal. Kind of like the goofy TSA visualization from the millimeter wave scanners in airports. Raw cabin video footage should be completely discarded real time and only used to produce events and at most generic stick figure depictions.

I’m in the beta but I do find cabin video capture creepy.

A cartoonized generic visualization that detects only forbidden actions like “phone looks” would be ideal. Kind of like the goofy TSA visualization from the millimeter wave scanners in airports. Raw cabin video footage should be completely discarded real time and only used to produce events and at most generic stick figure depictions.
The internal video never leaves the car. Do as you like or scratch what you like nobody is watching that isn’t in the car. Leaving your car is a different story. There is a camera on every corner and building.

The internal video never leaves the car. Do as you like or scratch what you like nobody is watching that isn’t in the car. Leaving your car is a different story. There is a camera on every corner and building.
....but isn't the neural net sentient? Every time Beta makes a bad mistake I flip it the bird. I want to offend the neural net so it will learns proper driving city rules.

“By enabling FSD Beta, I consent to Tesla’s collection of VIN-associated image data from the vehicle’s external cameras and Cabin Camera in the occurrence of a serious safety risk or a safety event like a collision,"​
Not sure where that agreement states that camera data will never leave the car. In fact, automatic emergency braking or a collision both trigger collection of video data.

I can certainly understand why Tesla would want that data - their vehicle/system can be defended in instances of driver misconduct.

But let’s not pretend there is not a substantial privacy issue here. “Serious safety risk” is not fully defined. Duration of clip is not defined. There is also implicit trust in allowing cabin cameras. This is like having a laptop where the camera led is always on, but Apple/pc maker assures you they are not doing anything too bad with the video data.

I know this is not a popular opinion, but you are driving your car in public, in full view of everyone around you. I know you don't think I can see you picking your nose at the red light, but guess what... I can. 😁

So why does it matter that the camera can see your face and collect that data while you're driving?

So why does it matter that the camera can see your face and collect that data while you're driving?
Agree.

I'm more concerned about Google, Apple, Tesla, and others know my exact location. In the case of Google, it's years worth of GEO-data. Not to mention those intrusive ads related to a store I am coincidentally walking by. Yes, they say the latter can be disabled.

Or potential conversations, in your car, or in your house with Alexa, Bixby, or Google. Nobody claims to capture these but I don't trust "them" to be truthful either. Wasn't there a murder case and they supenoed Google to hear what was going on? Google it.

My ugly face is the least of my privacy concerns. Then again, I have a legacy MS sans cabin cam. 😁

• Disagree
Reactions: !igs
I'm in the sweet spot!

I think I figured out why your in cabin camera has such issues with you!!!

1655902519288.png

Agree.

I'm more concerned about Google, Apple, Tesla, and others know my exact location. In the case of Google, it's years worth of GEO-data. Not to mention those intrusive ads related to a store I am coincidentally walking by. Yes, they say the latter can be disabled.

Or potential conversations, in your car, or in your house with Alexa, Bixby, or Google. Nobody claims to capture these but I don't trust "them" to be truthful either. Wasn't there a murder case and they supenoed Google to hear what was going on? Google it.

My ugly face is the least of my privacy concerns. Then again, I have a legacy MS sans cabin cam. 😁
So you dont carry a cell phone with you in your car?......

Hint: before you reply...I recall reading about a certain group in Iraq (I think it was Iraq) turning their cell phones off thinking that meant they were 100% off/untrackable.

Until a missile using GPS info from "turned off" phones came crashing down onto them...

Hint: before you reply...I recall reading about a certain group in Iraq (I think it was Iraq) turning their cell phones off thinking that meant they were 100% off/untrackable.

Until a missile using GPS info from "turned off" phones came crashing down onto them...
Seriously?!? That's impressive. I totally buy that they can be tracked when in sleep mode (just turning off the screen), and when you go into Airplane Mode, as there may be some other connection that it's making. But when it's powered off (hold down the power button and power off), there is no power to the device and the operating system isn't booted up. You can't even charge the device while in the state - when you plug it in, a small bootstrap is loaded (like a mini operating system) - enough to start the charging system. When you unplug it, it powers back off again, which is why you can't just immediately power it back on after unplugging it. You have to wait for the mini operating system to shut down, then you can power it back on and load the main OS.

BTW - this is all Android I'm talking about - not sure about iPhones.

That was more likely from the 5G nano chips the vaccine delivered into their body. :) A phone that is turned off cannot transmit to the mobile network.

• Disagree
Reactions: legendsk