Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot on GTA Highways (401/404/DVP) - Worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So like many of us here, I'm budgeting how much I want to pay towards a Model 3.

Autopilot is one of those options that I'm on the fence about, it's a pricey upgrade (Approx $6500) and want to make sure it's worth it.

One question I want to put out there to the group, is how well and useful is it for GTA Highways during commuting hours?

That would be my use case for this feature. I commute to the core daily and regularly use highways such as 401, 404, 407, Gardiner, DVP during the peak rush hours. How well does Autopilot work in the stop and go grind of the DVP? How well does Autopilot work on GTA highways, with all our crazy drivers out there (all you GTA drivers can attest to the fact that our roads are a war zone with lack of signaling, sudden breaking, sudden swerving across all lanes to make an exit, drivers on the shoulder etc.)

Essentially, is Autopilot worth it and does it work on GTA highways during our peak rush hours? Will it automatically handle the stop and go grind of the DVP?

Thanks

frankly autopilot is one of the greatest features of my Model S. I had it on my first Model S, and I have it on my current Model S. I wouldn't take one without it, and I will never again buy another car without AT THE LEAST advanced cruise control.

If you do any traffic driving it's great...driving in traffic is SUPER annoying and I love just letting the car deal with all the starting and stopping. If you do long distance drives, it's great. Go test drive a model S with autopilot and try it on the DVP near the tesla store. You'll see what I mean.

I realise it's 10% of the price of the car, but in 4 years when you sell it, the buyers will all want it, and if they have to pay $7,000 at that time to add it, they may just skip your car for one with AP.

FSD is IMO a waste of money as I think we're 10 years away from that being a real thing, but AP is a 10/10 feature and as I said is the best feature of the Tesla (even better than it being electric)

I rarely use it. I am on the 410, 407 and 401 frequently - and when I have used it, it's been inconsistent, and I hate the nag. So I don't use it. I wouldn't pay for it again.
90,000 Km on the car
I DO use TACC for speed control, and it works well unless we get ice/wet snow

I think it is totally worth it and like rypalmer said it works well in stop and go traffic. It also works very well in open highways. IMHO where it is least useful is in semi-busy traffic where you may have to change lanes to go your desired speed. The AP1 that I drive has automatic lane changing when you use the turn signal but it is still a bit more work on your part to be changing lanes. If you are happy staying in your lane because you can just go 125km/h (or whatever) with no traffic or if you are going from 0-50km/h with stops and starts and there is not much point in changing lanes then it works very well and is less fatiguing.

With AP1 I thought it was great, with AP2 I'm just starting to get some "trust" with it. The last update has made a significant difference. There's a bit of an issue with merging traffic to be aware of, but it works. Regardless, it takes a bit of the stress away BUT right now you have to remain diligent of what's going on around you. It's good for most commutes.

After another close call today in a parking lot with an impatient and aggressive idiot in a Cadillac Escalade, I'm looking forward to the day when autonomous will be mandatory and the morons surrender their keys.

Reactions: Struja
I rarely use it. I am on the 410, 407 and 401 frequently - and when I have used it, it's been inconsistent, and I hate the nag. So I don't use it. I wouldn't pay for it again.
90,000 Km on the car
I DO use TACC for speed control, and it works well unless we get ice/wet snow
This response shocks me Can you outline some of your problems you've had? Amazing we're so polarized on Ap. Mine is AP1 but judging by your avatar yours is too.

Just drove to and back from Florida, ostensibly for the war air, but really I wanted to try a super charging trip. We took our X 100D. We got the AP update while we were down there. So I have had 2,500Km recently each on the old and updated versions. Quite a difference. In particular the tracking and lane changing were much improved. Used it all the time. For me, makes driving way more relaxing. Wish the nag was less frequent. I have to say it is so good now on a highway in either stop and go or flowing traffic that it is in a way more dangerous - it is simply so easy to not pay attention. The final 'regular' thing it needs for highway driving is to recognize earlier when another vehicle is entering you lane. My original S does not have AP and now I am going to miss it a lot - even for 400 series highways.

The super charging is simply the way to go. 40-60min to stretch and eat is barely enough time. The car was often ready before we were. My wife wants to drive all over the place now whereas before it seemed like an odyssey to her.

Without AP, I don't see the point of buying a Tesla.
Really?? I've been struggling with the decision on the model 3 of whether or not to get Autopilot. At $85,000 (after taxes) this car quickly becomes too expensive. So i'm thinking of not getting AP and with the tax rebate it falls back to a reasonable mid 60's price point.

This response shocks me Can you outline some of your problems you've had? Amazing we're so polarized on Ap. Mine is AP1 but judging by your avatar yours is too.
Yes, AP1. It nags every 3-4 minutes. If in the right lane, it ALWAYS tries to exit the highway. When I approach a truck (only on the right side) it veers right to the point where I always have to take control. Otherwise, lane changing is fine. Generally it tracks fine for lane keeping. Acceleration and braking work fine.

Also - it's boring. I like to drive, not be driven.

So, as I said previously, I wouldn't re-order auto-pilot.

Believe you can add it on later if you change your mind, but at a premium.

The car comes with all the hardware such as computer, sensors, cameras etc. Only thing that Tesla needs to do is turn it all on, and give it some time to calibrate.

For me, it is a defining feature of the car. In stop and go traffic it takes away lots of stress, and you can relax more waiting for the traffic to open up. Same on longer trips. It takes away all the micro adjustments you constantly need to do when driving, and you arrive much fresher and more relaxed at the end of your journey.

Some people (myself included) had no interest in a self driving car. Felt that much of the enjoyment of driving came from the personal input. In the beginning I only used the auto pilot to experience what it could do, but over the year or so I have begun to use it more and more as it increases the pleasure of the trips greatly.

A year ago it was not all that great, and sometimes I was more nervous letting it drive than letting my G/F drive. Now using it is a pure pleasure as it has advanced greatly in it's capabilities and smoothness.

Yes, AP1. It nags every 3-4 minutes. If in the right lane, it ALWAYS tries to exit the highway. When I approach a truck (only on the right side) it veers right to the point where I always have to take control. Otherwise, lane changing is fine. Generally it tracks fine for lane keeping. Acceleration and braking work fine.

Cup 1/8th empty or 7/8th full? depends on your outlook.

Cup 1/8th empty or 7/8th full? depends on your outlook.
Well - true. I'm not saying that people don't like it, or that it shouldn't be offered. It works *most of the time* as advertised. The OP asked if autopilot was worth it. For me, It wasn't worth it. I'm glad, however, that I get the choice to use it , or not, rather than no choice. Plus, as others have mentioned, the value of the car will be higher at resale because of this feature.

If 95% of the drivers love it, great. The OP can take that under consideration. I'll be the 5%, and tell them of the pitfalls.

makes sense.
I can echo those concerns (right lane exit although it's not 100% of the tine for me) and the seemingly magnetic truck thing which is weird...its like it's getting tough on the truck and claiming it's territory. It doesn't leave its lane just feels like it moves to the right even though it's just centring at a weird time.

The other stuff is true, it is boring but that's by design. When I want to drive the P90D I just turn off AP and enjoy driving. The rest of the time (probably 90% of highway miles) I let the car do the work and enjoy being bored.

I think the OP should try it in person and evaluate the cost vs benefits of it by himself to make the decision. It was a must for my X because I will take it on road trip a lot and hopefully it will help the driver relax behind the wheel. For model 3, I plan to get one for my short commute (30km/ day) on city streets so I probably just need a basic car with short range, no premium, no auto pilot, no awd and wait 'til 2019 :confused:

I think the OP should try it in person and evaluate the cost vs benefits of it by himself to make the decision. It was a must for my X because I will take it on road trip a lot and hopefully it will help the driver relax behind the wheel. For model 3, I plan to get one for my short commute (30km/ day) on city streets so I probably just need a basic car with short range, no premium, no auto pilot, no awd and wait 'til 2019 :confused:
maybe if those streets are in San Diego but if they're in Ontario, get AWD. Even if you don't think you need it, you'll get most of that money back when you sell the car because people don't want RWD torquey cars in snow zones, in general and I think RWD cars will suffer on resale.

Reactions: Bluewish
think the OP should try it in person and evaluate the cost vs benefits of it by himself to make the decision
Unfortunately a short test drive for a newbie who has never driven AP almost always has the opposite effect. You are nervous, you are tentative, every curve and every car that you pass by you are holding the wheel more tighter. So after the short two minute two mile drive, you are even more confused. “Ya sure it works, but it is a stress inducer where I have to be even more attentive” - that will be the take away.

AP, like wine and coffee, is one of those things that it takes some time to get used to it, understand the nuances to get the confidence and start relaxing.

A short drive might have the opposite effect.