Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot on Kalanianaole x Paiko Dr

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a warning to be cautious going Hawaii Kai bound on Kalanianaole and the Paiko Dr intersection. If you're in the right 2 lanes, the car will merge into the left lane because it determines that is the path. I'm guessing it has to do with the curvature of the road and the lack of lane markers in the intersection. It will still try to change into the left even if a car is there! I've even tried it following a car, and it still tries to change lanes.

Yesterday, after I passed through there I was watching the Model Y behind to see if they were on AutoPilot. Sure enough, they swerved left and the guy corrected himself hehe.

Anyway just a friendly reminder to be alert with AutoPilot!

Reactions: nanimac
I drive through there every day, usually in the left lane. AP has always struggled with that intersection. But it's also an interesting test/demonstration of the power of Tesla's AP "neural net" learning.

On my X (with AP 1), it would fail every time, regardless.

When I first got my 3 with AP 2.5 and the HW2 computer, it would always fail in all three lanes. But over time and with repeated AP failures (6-8 months), I noticed it was "learning" - the failures would be less severe, and by the time I turned in my 3 (for my Y), it could successfully go through the left lane 100%, the middle lane about 50-60%, and the right lane about <10%. The 100% success in the left lane was with minimal or no swerve or deviation from a normal path through the intersection.

Now on my Y, with HW3, it started from zero success and has progressively "learned" to ~40% in the left lane, ~10% in the middle and ~5% in the right. It's "learning" has been slower this time because of my reduced driving combined with higher frequency of software updates (I noticed that, with every update, both by 3 and Y would "forget" a little bit of what they learned).

Interesting to hear that other drivers aren't seeing the same thing. This suggests that possibly the AP network "learning" is limited to an individual vehicle for specific problem points, until there's enough frequency in AP failures reported by multiple vehicles for the entire network to learn and adapt.

A similar AP learning experiment has occurred with the lane markings in the town-bound HOV lane at the intersections of E Hind Dr and Nenue St. The left turn guide markings on the pavement from the cross streets always confuse the AP and initially caused a dramatic swerve to the right by the AP. After repeated corrections, now the AP has "learned" to now ignore the lane markings and drives through there with almost 100% success on my Y.

One problem with my Y that never existed in my 3 or X - the double yellow lane lane markings on the HOV lane cause 100% failure rate in my Y on AP going Koko head bound at every intersection. I guess the AP gets confused and freaked out by the double yellow being on the right side of the lane and thinks the car has drifted into the oncoming traffic lane. I've given up enabling AP in the left lane until I pass Halemaumau. It works fine in the middle and right lanes (until the Paiko dr intersection!).

• Informative
Reactions: nanimac