Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

autopilot on snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If non-emergency vehicles are driving around in whiteouts and blizzards, they deserve their potential fate.

What, you mean every other day in Iceland during the winter? ;)

Maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but then again, not really. I remember one several week period when there were more days with severe winter storm warnings than those without them. On my land a metal shipping crate full several tonnes of of steel, timber, glass, etc got tossed around like a childrens' toy during one of them. Gusts over Cat.5 hurricane strength. Days when the windspeed is "only" 25 m/s (56mph)? Hey, that's a driving day.

Autopilot in the winter here? No thank you, I'd rather not die. Forget about failure to detect lines or lane drift - just a single "phantom braking event" could be deadly. And good luck for it making out where the road is when I often can hardly make it out. It'd probably stupidly try to stay on its "proper" side of the road too (where a single gust or iced-up section could send it off a cliff) rather than driving in the much safer middle and only going to the sides when you face oncoming traffic.

"Hey, I swear there was a road here just a minute ago!"
Iceland-snowy-road.jpg

In Iceland in the winter you don't need a lane-following algorithm, you need a marker-following algorithm. And if the markers are missing for some reason, a "really smart guessing algorithm" ;) The markers are pretty clever, too there should always be a single white mark on your right, and two white marks on your left. That's in case you accidentally drift off the road in one direction in low-visibility conditions where you can't see all the markers, you'll know that you're off if you see a single white mark to your left or a double white mark to your right. Not that Autopilot would know that.

Last edited:
Reactions: AWDtsla
Heck, I don't know about Ohio but here in Indiana you can say the same thing about drivers every single time it rains.
Spent most of my life in NW Ohio, people tended to do alright in adverse conditions. Then I moved to PA... big difference.
Soon after the move i watched a woman in a minivan with the pedal floored... slowly sliding backwards down a slope into some parked cars. I get to witness the types of drivers that you see on youtube videos.

Of course they are pretty awful about salting the roads in PA which doesn't help matters.

Reactions: JeffK
They're fluorescent yellow posts with white headlight-reflective markers, similar to reflectors on bicycles.

Hjallahals2.png

They're actually quite visible in the dark and in snowy conditions.
So, since you're basically doing a Giant Slalom run in your car, is there a reason they didn't put different colors on the left- and right-hand sides? That way if some were missing, you'd be less likely to steer between two on the same side, and off into the Great Abyss.

So, since you're basically doing a Giant Slalom run in your car, is there a reason they didn't put different colors on the left- and right-hand sides? That way if some were missing, you'd be less likely to steer between two on the same side, and off into the Great Abyss.

Night vision doesn't see colour well, and wintertime (when the markers matter most) is mostly night ;) But you can always easily see the difference between one reflective mark and two.