Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In terns of aviation the name is very appropriate. My AP follows a course. Unfortunately, my plane's AP won't slow it down if traffic in front of me slows down. Still, I think Advanced Driver Assist would have been better at conveying to most people what it is.

I agree that Advanced Driver Assist is more accurate but not a very coinable term. Interesting that the term Autopilot in the aviation world is indeed accurate to Tesla's feature. I just think the layman is more apt to link Autopilot with Autonomous driving. I see Co-Pilot isn't as accurate afterall (the computer is not an equal pilot as of yet) but it is coinable and begs driver responsibility.

I had no idea the autopilot system was a limited as it was until reading about the collision. This really opened my eyes. I just changed my model3tracker.info to remove AP as an option I will be purchasing with my M3

Yes, totally agree. AP1.0 is very limited it what it can see and what it can safely do.

When you start digging down into all of the limitations it's really not what it was made out to be when it was introduced.

Yes, Autopilot could use a new name until it is fully autonomous. I like Co-Pilot. It's a much more accurate term and tells the driver they are still responsible for piloting the car when the feature is turned on.

I think you hit the nail on the head! Call it a Co-Pilot, which would clearly describe that it is an assist system.

I agree that Advanced Driver Assist is more accurate but not a very coinable term. Interesting that the term Autopilot in the aviation world is indeed accurate to Tesla's feature. I just think the layman is more apt to link Autopilot with Autonomous driving. I see Co-Pilot isn't as accurate afterall (the computer is not an equal pilot as of yet) but it is coinable and begs driver responsibility.

To the average consumer, the first thing they're probably going to think about when you mention AutoPilot for an airplane is "hands free." The pilot doesn't have to touch the yoke or stick for long periods of time.

That doesn't translate well to a car unless it's truly level 4 autonomous.

Yes, totally agree. AP1.0 is very limited it what it can see and what it can safely do.

When you start digging down into all of the limitations it's really not what it was made out to be when it was introduced.
I don't know, it seems to be exactly what it was made out to be. It has TACC, AEB, and lane assist, lane changing, parking assistance.

What are you saying they advertised that wasn't delivered?

I don't know, it seems to be exactly what it was made out to be. It has TACC, AEB, and lane assist, lane changing, parking assistance.

What are you saying they advertised that wasn't delivered?

It's not the features that were delivered, its the capability and limitations of those features that's the issue. For example, delivering an AEB that will only reduce your speed by 25mph, not fully brake to a stop. That's very old tech. Or the lack of stopping for pedestrians or crossing traffic.

It's not the features that were delivered, its the capability and limitations of those features that's the issue. For example, delivering an AEB that will only reduce your speed by 25mph, not fully brake to a stop. That's very old tech. Or the lack of stopping for pedestrians or crossing traffic.
So what? They never said it'd do that and since when are pedestrians or cross traffic on freeways?

Here's AEB from 45 mph to full stop.
Tesla Model S Auto Braking Prevents Accident - Video

"So what?" Well unfortunately there was cross traffic on a divided stretch of Florida highway.
And now you realize why maybe autopilot in this location would not be 100% effective or would mean you'd still need to be vigilant and watch for unsupported situations.

Also if a semi turns right in front of you, autopilot or no autopilot. you have to be on your game and you still might get into an accident.

I understand your line of thinking because it's quite common and it seems to be contagious in the news media. But let me ask you if you set cruise control on a normal car and get into an accident are you going to blame that when you hit something or drives off a curve? No, because you understand the limitations and that it's outside the spec. The same is true with Tesla Autopilot.

There are situations that it was designed for which are well known and documented, but there are also situations it was not designed for. What happens if an elephant falls out of the sky? Should autopilot detect the falling elephant and brake in time? Are we going to blame Autopilot or Tesla that it failed to recognize a falling elephant? You understand that this situation is preposterous, but so is asking why it didn't do something it wasn't designed for.

It's not like that feature isn't coming. We already know it'll be here in 2018. The point is, it's not a feature now and, if used appropriately, Autopilot will save more lives than without it.

Last edited:
Reactions: melindav
Hmmm, how come you have things set so people can't see your other posts and can't message you?

If you hover over the number of posts and then click, it should take you to a list of his other posts - which are mostly about detailed critique of Tesla.

Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 1.46.59 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: diamond.g
Mobileye, which is what Tesla uses for the AP hardware, released this statement about the Florida accident. It says the new system that can detect crossing traffic won't be released until 2018. What does that timing mean for the M3 then?

Tesla Autopilot partner Mobileye comments on fatal crash, says tech isn’t meant to avoid this type of accident [Updated]

“We have read the account of what happened in this case. Today’s collision avoidance technology, or Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) is defined as rear-end collision avoidance, and is designed specifically for that. This incident involved a laterally crossing vehicle, which current-generation AEB systems are not designed to actuate upon. Mobileye systems will include Lateral Turn Across Path (LTAP) detection capabilities beginning in 2018, and the Euro NCAP safety ratings will include this beginning in 2020.”

If you hover over the number of posts and then click, it should take you to a list of his other posts - which are mostly about detailed critique of Tesla.

View attachment 183970

Thanks. I hadn't seen someone with a locked down profile before. After my experience on the suspension thread, I have started looking at past posts when a person is a recent TMC member to see if they are just here to slam Tesla. I really don't get it. Do people join BMW and Mercedes forums just to complain about BMW and Mercedes? I expect people here to either be Tesla fans or owners seeking answers.

And now you realize why maybe autopilot in this location would not be 100% effective or would mean you'd still need to be vigilant and watch for unsupported situations.

Also if a semi turns right in front of you, autopilot or no autopilot. you have to be on your game and you still might get into an accident.

I understand your line of thinking because it's quite common and it seems to be contagious in the news media. But let me ask you if you set cruise control on a normal car and get into an accident are you going to blame that when you hit something or drives off a curve? No, because you understand the limitations and that it's outside the spec. The same is true with Tesla Autopilot.

There are situations that it was designed for which are well known and documented, but there are also situations it was not designed for. What happens if an elephant falls out of the sky? Should autopilot detect the falling elephant and brake in time? Are we going to blame Autopilot or Tesla that it failed to recognize a falling elephant? You understand that this situation is preposterous, but so is asking why it didn't do something it wasn't designed for.

It's not like that feature isn't coming. We already know it'll be here in 2018. The point is, it's not a feature now and, if used appropriately, Autopilot will save more lives than without it.

I don't expect the tech to be 100% effective. I do expect the latest and greatest though. A lot of what's in AP1.0 is not new, in fact a lot of of it's pretty old by car standards. I don't think software can make up for minimal hardware, especially having just the one camera.

I don't expect the tech to be 100% effective. I do expect the latest and greatest though. A lot of what's in AP1.0 is not new, in fact a lot of of it's pretty old by car standards. I don't think software can make up for minimal hardware, especially having just the one camera.
You are correct AP2.0 will have more hardware. You can read more about it here on the forums or via some mobileye conference talks on Youtube.

Mobileye, which is what Tesla uses for the AP hardware, released this statement about the Florida accident. It says the new system that can detect crossing traffic won't be released until 2018. What does that timing mean for the M3 then?

Tesla Autopilot partner Mobileye comments on fatal crash, says tech isn’t meant to avoid this type of accident [Updated]

“We have read the account of what happened in this case. Today’s collision avoidance technology, or Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) is defined as rear-end collision avoidance, and is designed specifically for that. This incident involved a laterally crossing vehicle, which current-generation AEB systems are not designed to actuate upon. Mobileye systems will include Lateral Turn Across Path (LTAP) detection capabilities beginning in 2018, and the Euro NCAP safety ratings will include this beginning in 2020.”

That's funny. Musk said that cross country summon capability would be available in less time.

You actually use that site? They resell your contact information, not to mention all their info/stats are completely made up.

As for AP, if you don't trust yourself to use a function properly then you probably shouldn't be driving at all.

All model3tracker.info has is my zip code and how I'm going to configure my car. So if they want to sell that I'm fine with it.

On the second part of your post it seems we agree : ) I don't trust myself to use it properly and therefore won't be driving with it.

"So what?" Well unfortunately there was cross traffic on a divided stretch of Florida highway.

Why doesn't Tesla restrict AP use by location? If this was not an appropriate place to use AP (b/c of possible crossing traffic) why does the car let you use it there?

Why doesn't Tesla restrict AP use by location? If this was not an appropriate place to use AP (b/c of possible crossing traffic) why does the car let you use it there?

A car manufacturer restricting a feature by location isn't new but it is evil (there are a few cars that unlock performance when GPS detects it's on a known race track). I would not like the idea of Tesla controlling when or where I can do something as that restricts freedom.

Just answer one simple question... Which is safer: dumb cruise control or autopilot (a more advanced cruise control)?

Should all auto manufacturers make their cars not able to do regular cruise control on streets with cross traffic? What about in neighborhoods? Should the auto manufacturers make you car unable to go above 25 mph in a school zone? Should we live in a police state?

When automakers start controlling what you can or can't do then where does it stop?