Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like fighting for the freedom to keep ABS off your car? Or to make seat belts mandatory? Or air bags?
There will come a time when I hope manual driving is banned because autonomous cars are THAT much better at driving. But that is a long ways away.
Nah, it's not the same. I'm all for safety features, but I don't want to give up the ability to push that accelerator pedal as far as I want when I want.

The ideal machine, for me, drives itself when I want it to and assists me when I want to have fun (and stops me if I make an error).

Nah, it's not the same. I'm all for safety features, but I don't want to give up the ability to push that accelerator pedal as far as I want when I want.

The ideal machine, for me, drives itself when I want it to and assists me when I want to have fun (and stops me if I make an error).

That's the point.

Not that you are one of those morons that goes 90+ down the highway zipping in and out of lanes to pass cars, but those idiots shouldn't be allowed to do that and endanger the lives of everybody else just because they think they have some "right" to drive like a d-bag. They don't have that right.

Even if you're driving relatively safely, there will be moments where there are lapses in concentration that, again, endanger your life and the lives of others. In the future - when all new vehicles are autonomous - it will be more than a little selfish and negligent for anyone to demand the right to manually drive their car. And when that time comes, where autonomous vehicles are orders of power safer than manual driving - and they will be once they're able to communicate with one another on the roadways - that is when manual drive needs to be outlawed.

If you want to manually drive, you can do it on a private plot of land or private drag strips and race tracks.

Again, this is a LONG ways away and may not occur in our lifetimes. But if it does, I'll be danmed if some jackleg doesn't face full force of my fury if they injury myself or my family because they refuse to use an essential safety feature.

You thought a system that Tesla consistently said required the driver to stay alert and ready to take over at all times would allow you to text or read a book? Holy crap. What part of "stay alert at all times and ready to take over " even comes close to implying you could text or read a freaking book?
Exactly. What I'm also wondering is...Why would someone have to tell you to pay attention.
I was previously unaware Tesla said you needed to monitor at all times so yes I did previously think that. Please read my entire post.

My point was calling it autopilot makes non-users/public assume you can read a book...

I'm really not trying to argue. Really I'm not. So is that what you are going to go with?

1. Tesla had a design meeting.
2. They chose a name for this feature.... probably from a myriad of options.
3. They provided the name of the option to the public.
4. The public looks up the definition of an option according to a dead guy named websters
and because of all of this - decides that they can go to sleep in the back seat of their cars while their cars are going down the road with this new driver called AP.

The feature called AP works great, however in the hands of idiots can kill someone.

the purpose in putting the definition in my post was to explain what the general public thinks of the term autopilot. So instead of your #4: the public looking up the definition in a dictionary (written by dead guy or not doesnt matter) they actually just go out and drive assuming the definition I quoted.

I think AP is more dangerous than you realize b/c I think there are more idiots out there than Tesla knows. I understand you might be as you quote in your other posts a "responsible adult" but that probably accounts for <1% of the driving population. Asking people to hand in their licenses if they aren't just comes off as callous. Tesla needs to realize this and design for the masses who are already texting, shaving, etc on non AP cars. Have you read my other posts in this thread and the articles I've posted? Google agrees with this approach and so do a lot of other engineers.

the purpose in putting the definition in my post was to explain what the general public thinks of the term autopilot. So instead of your #4: the public looking up the definition in a dictionary (written by dead guy or not doesnt matter) they actually just go out and drive assuming the definition I quoted.

I think AP is more dangerous than you realize b/c I think there are more idiots out there than Tesla knows. I understand you might be as you quote in your other posts a "responsible adult" but that probably accounts for <1% of the driving population. Asking people to hand in their licenses if they aren't just comes off as callous. Tesla needs to realize this and design for the masses who are already texting, shaving, etc on non AP cars. Have you read my other posts in this thread and the articles I've posted? Google agrees with this approach and so do a lot of other engineers.

There comes a point where you have to let people be people and allow Darwinism to take it's course.

Is it safe for engineers to allow a car door to be opened while the vehicle is moving? Ghost riding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There comes a point where you have to let people be people and allow Darwinism to take it's course.

Is it safe for engineers to allow a car door to be opened while the vehicle is moving? Ghost riding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tesla engineers allow the Falcon Wing Doors to be open while the vehicle is in motion. Here is the result. Good engineering doesn't necessarily mean you prevent stupidity completely, but to me it does mean you address likely scenarios.

Regarding your first point, AutoPilot Darwinism is fine except when it takes out innocent people in the process. There are other threads already addressing the issue of Tesla's rear ending innocent drivers.

Tesla-X-with-door-ripped-off-by-garage-900x600.jpg

Reactions: SureValla
Tesla engineers allow the Falcon Wing Doors to be open while the vehicle is in motion. Here is the result. Good engineering doesn't necessarily mean you prevent stupidity completely, but to me it does mean you address likely scenarios.

Regarding your first point, AutoPilot Darwinism is fine except when it takes out innocent people in the process. There are other threads already addressing the issue of Tesla's rear ending innocent drivers.

Tesla-X-with-door-ripped-off-by-garage-900x600.jpg
True, innocents are always at risk. I'd even say they are more at risk without autopilot.

That's the point.

Not that you are one of those morons that goes 90+ down the highway zipping in and out of lanes to pass cars, but those idiots shouldn't be allowed to do that and endanger the lives of everybody else just because they think they have some "right" to drive like a d-bag. They don't have that right.

Even if you're driving relatively safely, there will be moments where there are lapses in concentration that, again, endanger your life and the lives of others. In the future - when all new vehicles are autonomous - it will be more than a little selfish and negligent for anyone to demand the right to manually drive their car. And when that time comes, where autonomous vehicles are orders of power safer than manual driving - and they will be once they're able to communicate with one another on the roadways - that is when manual drive needs to be outlawed.

If you want to manually drive, you can do it on a private plot of land or private drag strips and race tracks.

Again, this is a LONG ways away and may not occur in our lifetimes. But if it does, I'll be danmed if some jackleg doesn't face full force of my fury if they injury myself or my family because they refuse to use an essential safety feature.
The Autobahn in on average safer than the United States interstate highway system.

The Autobahn in on average safer than the United States interstate highway system.
Keep in mind the US highway system is nearly six times longer, there are six times more vehicle kilometers driven per year (2014), and there are five times as many registered vehicles (2014). The US is a much larger country with regional differences in safety even within our own country. Besides that, German drivers training is far more rigorous than programs in the US.

So... to say the Autobahn is on average "safer" doesn't really show the full picture as to why it's safer.

Keep in mind the US highway system is nearly six times longer, there are six times more vehicle kilometers driven per year (2014), and there are five times as many registered vehicles (2014). The US is a much larger country with regional differences in safety even within our own country. Besides that, German drivers training is far more rigorous than programs in the US.

So... to say the Autobahn is on average "safer" doesn't really show the full picture as to why it's safer.
Safer per miles driven. But exactly correct, the point was that speed alone does not equate to safety.

Reactions: JeffK