Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

autopilot or no autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no before you say "absolutely" its a must... consider the options. I plan on keeping my car (which comes in, in about a week and is a 60) for 3 years then trading in for a bigger one with more options (when i can afford it lol). I told them i wanted it but I battle myself in think since i'm gonna not have it forever to save the $2500. I also don't know how much I'll use it. I mean if comes out and its a must then i pay the extra $500. thoughts?

I'm struggling with the same decision. I don't take a lot of long trips, and will have plenty of stuff to learn as it is. Don't know that I would ever relax enough to trust the system anyway, regular cruise control is all I have ever used. I'm think I'm going to wait and pay the penalty once the bugs are all worked out of the system and I decide I want to get it/gotta have it.

If cash is tight I would get it later. You will have all the hardware you need so it is a matter of buying the upgrade to enable it later for a slight premium, but depending on your age you are likely to be more financially sound in the future. Just my one opinion among many.

If you're on the fence, it's easy to not get it, since you can pay for it later easily.

That said, I just got a 85D and the TACC has been really good. I still take over when there's sudden stopping, but I haven't seen it make a big mistake yet -- and I'm not worried in daily usage.

no before you say "absolutely" its a must... consider the options. I plan on keeping my car (which comes in, in about a week and is a 60) for 3 years then trading in for a bigger one with more options (when i can afford it lol). I told them i wanted it but I battle myself in think since i'm gonna not have it forever to save the $2500. I also don't know how much I'll use it. I mean if comes out and its a must then i pay the extra $500. thoughts?

This is a new car or CPO? I thought they stopped selling the 60 months ago.

I'm struggling with the same decision. I don't take a lot of long trips, and will have plenty of stuff to learn as it is. Don't know that I would ever relax enough to trust the system anyway, regular cruise control is all I have ever used. I'm think I'm going to wait and pay the penalty once the bugs are all worked out of the system and I decide I want to get it/gotta have it.

I wouldn't think of it as "paying a penalty" to get it later. Your options are to pay $2500 for TACC and lane departure warning today, or $3000 later - presumably when (or if!) lane keeping (autosteering) and self parking (as promised) are actually released. So:
If TACC and lane departure warning are worth $2500 to you, order now.
if not, but "full autopilot" (if it ever materializes) is worth $3000 to you, order when (if) it becomes available.
if neither, save you money.

In any case, I recommend a significant TEST DRIVE to evaluate the actual features available and your personal assessment of their worth for your intended use case. Don't pay for vague promises or masterful marketing.

For less then $90.00 a month it's a no brainer... get it.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't think of it as "paying a penalty" to get it later. Your options are to pay $2500 for TACC and lane departure warning today, or $3000 later - presumably when (or if!) lane keeping (autosteering) and self parking (as promised) are actually released. So:
If TACC and lane departure warning are worth $2500 to you, order now.
if not, but "full autopilot" (if it ever materializes) is worth $3000 to you, order when (if) it becomes available.
if neither, save you money.

In any case, I recommend a significant TEST DRIVE to evaluate the actual features available and your personal assessment of their worth for your intended use case. Don't pay for vague promises or masterful marketing.

I can tell you the other features are coming... VERY soon.

Really? a 60 with AutoPilot or not? Are you talking about CPO? I thought the 60s were replaced with the current build 70s.
I lucked out when I got AutoPilot with my P85+ in Sept. 2014. 1st week of production. I love having it and to me more important than having dual motors. It's weird you have an option to have AutoPilot or not on a new vehicle. If it is a CPO, that is probably a great price, and jump on it. If it is new, why the heck are you considering a 60? Get a 70 at least.

If you think about it as paying $2500 for TACC and auto-highbeams and you're OK with that, then the rest of it is just gravy if/when it comes.

If you need all the features to feel good about the $2500, then pay $3K when they're out and confirmed working to your tastes.

This is how I'd think about. Note: TACC is better than I would have expected. Worth $2500 for 99% around town driver like me, probably not. But it is cool.

ya its a 2015

- - - Updated - - -

Really? a 60 with AutoPilot or not? Are you talking about CPO? I thought the 60s were replaced with the current build 70s.
I lucked out when I got AutoPilot with my P85+ in Sept. 2014. 1st week of production. I love having it and to me more important than having dual motors. It's weird you have an option to have AutoPilot or not on a new vehicle. If it is a CPO, that is probably a great price, and jump on it. If it is new, why the heck are you considering a 60? Get a 70 at least.

its a 2015 with 3,000 miles on it. The vehicle has the Autopilot hardware already installed but i just need to pay the extra $ for it when it comes out. I would love to get a 70 or even an 85 but right now this is what i can get. I bought it and then he told me the car's headlights don't light up due to it not having the tech package. grrrr i wasn't to pleased about that, but i'm sure once i get it in two weeks (from austin tx) I won't care to much about the headlights.