Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Oscillations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the last update my X (2018 P75) seems to be doing small side to side oscillations while on autopilot. It's almost as though the gains values are turned up too much. I operate it on autopilot pretty regularly only noticed this this happening since the last update (or perhaps the one before that). Has anyone else notice this or have this problem.

Since the last update my X (2018 P75) seems to be doing small side to side oscillations while on autopilot. It's almost as though the gains values are turned up too much. I operate it on autopilot pretty regularly only noticed this this happening since the last update (or perhaps the one before that). Has anyone else notice this or have this problem.
There are multiple threads about this in the S, X, and 3 forums. You are not alone.
I have noticed it on occasion in my 3 since the last update too. Most of the time it doesn't oscillate.
This is a Model X forum.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I own a 2018 July MX and I too had the problems with the NOA oscillations. It did not always do this, mostly it was annoying when I passed trucks but it started to get very jittery and frightening, so I have used it cautiously since December. Did not seem to have the same affect with being on autopilot without NOA. I reported this to Tesla and scheduled a service appointment for that and a few other small things. Before the service appointment, I was contacted by engineers who downloaded the logs from the car and did some troubleshooting. The bottom line, they decided to upgrade my autopilot CPU from HW 2.5 to 3.0. This was done early in January and the software was installed up to 2019.40.50.7.

Since then, I have had no events or oscillations, the NOA seems to be more steady and reliable, and of course, I have the increased visualizations while driving, stop signs, stop lights, sign on the road surface, traffic cones, and most especially, garbage cans on the street. Still does not pick up cars parked by the side of the road - see my pictures posted elsewhere.

Installing HW3 unit!

So the new hardware and software seems to be an improvement. However the NOA still wants to make stupid lane changes when I have an exit coming up in a mile so I still reserve the right to approve lane changes

Mike P

Our Model X 100D showed the same "ping-ponging" in the lanes, plus a whole range of scary actions on Autopilot. Service this week, with a change to the new FSD computer AND a front-end alignment, which the tech said was a contributor to the ping-ponging. The car is working extremely well....for the first time in 20 months of ownership, BTW.
Also: we had the yellow outline on the main display. That was also fixed by their new "ultraviolet treatment" process.
We are very happy with the car, now.

Reactions: VT_EE
Hi All,

I just returned from a 1300 mile trip from south Michigan to south Florida and back...
With hardware HW3 and software 2019.40.50.7 driving south and 2020.4.1 driving north.
I noticed ping ponging in both directions.
It was not too bad but able to be noticed...
What I found worked for me was to reduce my steering input...
The lighter I held the steering wheel against turning the straighter the car drove.
I only got one warning during the entire trip to "apply some torque to the steering wheel."

I may also need an alignment soon as the steering wheel spokes are not exactly parallel
to the ground while traveling in a straight line...

It was a great, relaxing trip and drive...

Shawn