TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Autopilot + overhang = warning?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by paulvinh, May 29, 2018.

1. paulvinh

paulvinh Member

Route to work today on autopilot when suddenly it gives out a warning while passing freeway overhang. Car in front and back was about 5 car distance and only a semi-truck on the lane next to me to the right. Didnt seem like anything was happening.

I have a dash cam video but cant upload here because of .mp4 .mov file extension.

2. WallyP

WallyP Member

What was the warning, and what firmware version are you on?

3. paulvinh

paulvinh Member

The 3 loud beeps that it does, like it was predicting an accident or something.

4. WallyP

WallyP Member

I'm assuming you mean this happened in EAP?

I've experienced sudden deceleration while passing an underpass, and without a warning. However, now that I am on the new 2018.18.13 software I have had no incidents. I'm wondering if the audible beep warning is a new EAP feature in the firmware?

5. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Was there a shadow being cast on the road?

6. paulvinh

paulvinh Member

Yes, EAP.

Underpass thats the word, couldnt think of it. The audible beep really shooked me. I’ve driven the same direction before with no audible alert warning so it could be new to firmware.

7. paulvinh

paulvinh Member

Yes

8. Trips

Trips "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"

This is a known issue that has been around since the beginning. It happens on sunny days where the car thinks the shadow is another car. Normally the car brakes so maybe it is getting better by just giving the warning.

9. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

But it didn’t slam on the brakes? That’s an improvement. Before people were reporting it slamming on the brakes and if someone was behind would rear end them.

10. paulvinh

paulvinh Member

It did slow down but i dont believe that it slammed on brakes. It shooked me so I got out of autopilot right away.

11. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

As @Trips states, the shadow issue has been reported a few times happening to people. It seems to cause confusion momentarily for the cameras and create false-positives. Hopefully the software or AI will improve over time to hopefully eliminate this scenario.

12. WallyP

WallyP Member

I'm not sure if it is actually a shadow issue. I experienced the EAP error in full sunshine with no overpass, signage, or other obstacle to cast a shadow (unless an airplane flew over that I was unaware of).

In any case, I'm hoping the audible beep warning in the new software helps fix this problem.