TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot parking available now?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by invisik, Jan 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. invisik

invisik Member

Hi! The newly revised Tesla Motors website has a paragraph under Autopilot about how the car will park itself in your garage and pull itself out. Is that really available now? Maybe in the 6.1 upgrade?
    Capture.JPG

-m

2. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

I noticed this today as well... Looks to be handy for people with tight garages - kind of like when I pull out to let my wife in the car without having to squeeze down the wall side.

3. robby

robby Member

Have they mentioned whether this will work in condo/communal garages? E.g. We have a garage but it's a designated spot in the back behind a wall. Could we still drop it at the curb and/or summon it?

4. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

The website makes it sound like it's available with current firmware, but it's not there in 6.1.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

While those capabilities clearly are not in 6.1 based on many posts here on TMC, my reading of that Tesla website page is that if someone orders today they will likely have that capability in the car they receive months from now.

6. invisik

invisik Member

Ahh that could be... Well, that's a good sign for existing owners as they should be able to expect the functionality in about 3 months.....

-m

7. morbot

morbot Member

Based on how alarmed my parking sensors getting pulling into my garage, and the fact that I have to back it in to a 90 degree turn... I don't think it's ever going to be able to park itself in there. It's not that hard to park it, but you need to use the mirrors for visible checks, its about 6" clearance on either side so the parking sensors go nuts.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#8 dsm363, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  9. Vger

Vger Active Member

You may be correct, but perhaps do not confuse the current user interface on the parking sensors with their raw capability to inform an autopilot algorithm. They are just distance sensors; they themselves do not "go nuts." Obviously, Tesla will require extensive validation and software refinement in tough application like yours, but I would not assume a priori that it is not possible.

10. R²B

R²B All Star

Auto parking at a Supercharger is way cool.

11. commasign

commasign Active Member

Also, 6.1 changed how the parking sensors behave. Before 6.1, the side sensors were just lumped together with the front sensors resulting in lots of false alarms whenever entering the garage (i.e. passing by something next to the car made the car think there was something in front). Now there are at least 10 "zones" around the car.

12. fviken

fviken Member

#12 fviken, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    There are " 12 long range ultrasonic sensors" now, so I imagine there should be 12 zones/sectors.

13. RyanT

RyanT Member

Same here, I have to back into the garage. I only have about 4" on each side with the mirrors out. I would be amazed if it would be able to park itself.

14. randompersonx

randompersonx Member

And also presents some questions: How is this done if the MobilEye camera is only forward facing? Is the rear-facing parking camera also somehow connected to the autopilot?

15. R²B

R²B All Star

I was wondering the same thing. I would think that it must be somehow involved.

16. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Yes, I too am beginning to think that Tesla will tie the rear camera into autopilot somehow.

17. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

True, but "only" 4 in front and 4 in the back are used as parking range sensors on the dash screen (afaik). I belive the 4 on the sides give feedback to the autopilot software (and maybe collision avoidance software later on).

18. commasign

commasign Active Member

The 4 side sensors are also used as parking sensors. They appear as zones next to the left and right fenders. This is new to Firmware 6.1.

19. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

My car tends to freak out when I squeeze it in the garage, but I'd be beyond thrilled if it manages to park on its own.

20. brkaus

brkaus Member

Same here. Even go on at an angle to tuck behind the side walls by the garage door. When it can back into my over packed garage I'll click buy! (Perhaps sooner, but that would make the decision easy).