Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot parking available now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

invisik

Supporting Member
Mar 13, 2014
Minneapolis
Hi! The newly revised Tesla Motors website has a paragraph under Autopilot about how the car will park itself in your garage and pull itself out. Is that really available now? Maybe in the 6.1 upgrade?
Capture.JPG

-m

Hi! The newly revised Tesla Motors website has a paragraph under Autopilot about how the car will park itself in your garage and pull itself out. Is that really available now? Maybe in the 6.1 upgrade?
View attachment 68914

-m
I noticed this today as well... Looks to be handy for people with tight garages - kind of like when I pull out to let my wife in the car without having to squeeze down the wall side.

While those capabilities clearly are not in 6.1 based on many posts here on TMC, my reading of that Tesla website page is that if someone orders today they will likely have that capability in the car they receive months from now.

Ahh that could be... Well, that's a good sign for existing owners as they should be able to expect the functionality in about 3 months.....

-m

Based on how alarmed my parking sensors getting pulling into my garage, and the fact that I have to back it in to a 90 degree turn... I don't think it's ever going to be able to park itself in there. It's not that hard to park it, but you need to use the mirrors for visible checks, its about 6" clearance on either side so the parking sensors go nuts.

Based on how alarmed my parking sensors getting pulling into my garage, and the fact that I have to back it in to a 90 degree turn... I don't think it's ever going to be able to park itself in there. It's not that hard to park it, but you need to use the mirrors for visible checks, its about 6" clearance on either side so the parking sensors go nuts.

You may be correct, but perhaps do not confuse the current user interface on the parking sensors with their raw capability to inform an autopilot algorithm. They are just distance sensors; they themselves do not "go nuts." Obviously, Tesla will require extensive validation and software refinement in tough application like yours, but I would not assume a priori that it is not possible.

You may be correct, but perhaps do not confuse the current user interface on the parking sensors with their raw capability to inform an autopilot algorithm. They are just distance sensors; they themselves do not "go nuts." Obviously, Tesla will require extensive validation and software refinement in tough application like yours, but I would not assume a priori that it is not possible.

Also, 6.1 changed how the parking sensors behave. Before 6.1, the side sensors were just lumped together with the front sensors resulting in lots of false alarms whenever entering the garage (i.e. passing by something next to the car made the car think there was something in front). Now there are at least 10 "zones" around the car.

True, but "only" 4 in front and 4 in the back are used as parking range sensors on the dash screen (afaik). I belive the 4 on the sides give feedback to the autopilot software (and maybe collision avoidance software later on).

The 4 side sensors are also used as parking sensors. They appear as zones next to the left and right fenders. This is new to Firmware 6.1.

Same here, I have to back into the garage. I only have about 4" on each side with the mirrors out. I would be amazed if it would be able to park itself.

Same here. Even go on at an angle to tuck behind the side walls by the garage door. When it can back into my over packed garage I'll click buy! (Perhaps sooner, but that would make the decision easy).