TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot performance has degraded in 2.28.19 vs 2.20.30 - my imagination???

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Aug 22, 2016.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

So I have been away from home for about 2.5 weeks. When I left I was on 2.20.30 - I return to find 2.28.19.

Either it's my imagination or my autopilot's performance on difficult roads has diminished - and by diminshed I mean the car seems to wander quite a bit more on low contrast freeway lanes on the 10 in Southern California than it did on 2.20.30.

With 2.20.30 AP had gotten superbly good in difficult conditions.

Assuming I am *not* imagining this - what could be the reason? Tesla testing out some new neural network learning? Re-building some of the lane maps? Changing things up while getting ready for 8.0 and/or the new hardware?

2. Doug4650

Doug4650 Member

I'm away from my car now (so I don't know the software release number) but within the last couple of weeks, I also thought that autopilot was "wandering" between the lines a bit more.

3. thegruf

thegruf Member

i run mostly the same route everyday, so know well where the AP behaves and does not.
    Whilst it is better in some ways, I have to agree that it will wander more if you let it.

In the UK (dont know about the US) we have some lane markings that instead of just being lines are a broader hatched area to keep the traffic further apart.
    It now seems to use the far side, not the near side of these marking as the lane edge, so you end up with AP driving with one wheel on the markings. Definitely did not do this in earlier builds and hopefully will be updated soon.

4. ModelX

ModelX Member

I agree it has had more issues!

5. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

If you can, get version 2.32.23. With that version I have noticed a marked improvement.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Thanks - I didn't realize that there is a newer build than 2.28.19.

7. ZoomFPV

ZoomFPV Member

.19 was the worst for me as well. I am now on 2.32.23 and AP is much better

8. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Is there a way to force/request a download?

9. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Member

Go check out the last several pages of the Firmware 7.1 thread in the Model S section of the forum. People are having a lot of success getting updates when they visit certain locations (mainly service centers).

• Like x 1
  10. Korben

Korben Member

<Ignore if you hate idle speculation>

The other day after a reboot/restart I noticed significant changes in AP behavior. Frequent prompts to hold the wheel as well as a good bit of wandering.

Idle speculation is that machine learning is an amazing thing but each car has individual quirks/needs when it comes to (slightly different camera position, alignment, torque needs, acceleration, etc...) Would it be most appropriate to download a somewhat more general algorithm and have some learning take place as the system begins to control the car? If this is the case then it seems obvious that a refreshed algorithm may want some more hand holding as it gets used to your car.

</Ignore if you hate idle speculation>

• Like x 1
  11. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

I have speculated the same thing.

• Like x 1
  12. Korben

Korben Member

And, to make this more fun, today the AP was pretty much back in line with the norm again (perhaps better). Same commute every day with AP on.

13. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Most recent version appears to be 2.32.65.

http://ev-fw.com/track-reports.php?ver=7.1

Not an official site but I have found they seem to know about some releases before the device centers do.

All owners are encouraged to sign up and enter their updates as they are received (though you do not need to sign up just to see what others have opposed).

14. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

I wish. It's said you have a better chance of catching updates by keeping the car connected to wifi as much as possible.

Updates can also come from service centers but I understand they are only supposed to update software when the car is in for other service, not just to update software.

15. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Had you had a software update overnight?

16. rcarpen22

rcarpen22 Member

I am still on 2.28.19 and it is the lowest level of AP performance that I have had in a long time. Even on my normal every day commute (well marked interstate highway), the car loses the lines and ping pongs. It's still better than not having AP, but I am anxiously awaiting an update.

• Like x 1
  17. preilly44

preilly44 Member

I'm on 2.28.19 and I also believe it is the worst AP since the initial release. My wife stopped using it because of this version.

• Like x 1
  18. Korben

Korben Member

Not in this case. In this case I was having a software issue and had rebooted both screens. That said, I don't think all of the updates use the timed reboot mechanism.

19. disillusioned

disillusioned Member

I'm not sure what version I'm on right now but AP has been really shady on regular routes that have previously caused no problems. I don't really trust it right now. It's wandering a lot, edging the left line on a straightaway with clear visibility, bailing out of curves it never had problems with before, etc.

I'm hoping a new version is forthcoming to fix it because it's really unpleasant.

20. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Personally, I think my AP has been degrading for some time. Sorry for not recalling the version where it changed, but I think mine started going down hill about six months ago. There was a period when it was rock solid. So much so that I think I started to get over trusting. Well, no more. She now wanders and gets confused fairly often in areas where that didn't happen. I never had the "cresting a hill" issue that many have had until I got 2.20.30.