Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Poor Highway Alignment on merge lane.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On virtually any roadway when a merging lane is encountered, the autopilot attempts to center the car in the “new” extra wide lane, thereby road hogging the space and cutting off the merging traffic! This is dangerous and rude to the merging traffic. It should be programmed such that the car does not attempt to center itself into a merging lane area.

Reactions: Toneus
This has been the case for at least a year; I've seen that behavior on every Tesla I've driven. It got slightly better over the last year IIRC. I presume it's something that the Autopilot team is well aware of, and perhaps to be improved with the new software that they are starting to roll out.

I agree it's not ideal, but have rarely observed it to be actually dangerous, even here in the Northeast where merges are sometimes dicier than on the West Coast. It happens after the intervening lane line disappears, by which point cars are supposed to be separated out so as to be behind or ahead of each other. Would classify this as more of a minor annoyance. Another reason that it's not dangerous is that you are always to have your hands on the wheel and be fully aware of how the car is moving in its environment, so if it were ever dangerous, you would simply intervene.

I wonder if FSD Beta testers have had any better results with that. Every freeway onramp gets my Tesla to center for a second or two and then move back to a normal lane width. Makes me look like a horrible driver, but I don't care anymore (still would like it fixed though).

I wonder if FSD Beta testers have had any better results with that. Every freeway onramp gets my Tesla to center for a second or two and then move back to a normal lane width. Makes me look like a horrible driver, but I don't care anymore (still would like it fixed though).
My understanding is that the FSD City Streets Beta uses regular FSD on the highway, but I might be wrong.

On virtually any roadway when a merging lane is encountered, the autopilot attempts to center the car in the “new” extra wide lane, thereby road hogging the space and cutting off the merging traffic! This is dangerous and rude to the merging traffic. It should be programmed such that the car does not attempt to center itself into a merging lane area.
I've only had my m3 a week and in my initial tests, this is one of the few issues that stood out for me also. It should hug the left indicator line on a merge.

Actually had a friend ask me about this. He mentioned that not once, but twice he encountered a Tesla driver who tried to block him from merging. No, it's not dangerous since we are presumably always in control, but it just seems that every time I'm in the right lane and there is a merge lane, there are cars trying to enter and I wind up having to disengaging autopilot.

I specifically searched this topic in Google and found this thread. I have happen all the time when driving through Virginia on I95. Virginia doesn’t close the merging lanes with dotted lines, they leave about 100 foot distance where it’s open space after the last row of dotted lines. So then my Tesla tries to hug the far right immediately and jerks the wheel over. It’s very annoying and makes auto steer completely useless in Virginia.

Where I live in North Carolina, the merging lane is completely contained within the dotted lines, so I don’t have this problem. The car follows like it should.

I specifically searched this topic in Google and found this thread. I have happen all the time when driving through Virginia on I95. Virginia doesn’t close the merging lanes with dotted lines, they leave about 100 foot distance where it’s open space after the last row of dotted lines. So then my Tesla tries to hug the far right immediately and jerks the wheel over. It’s very annoying and makes auto steer completely useless in Virginia.

Where I live in North Carolina, the merging lane is completely contained within the dotted lines, so I don’t have this problem. The car follows like it should.
I have been on FSD beta for two cars for a long time and the merge issue when there are no dotted lines has greatly improved for me. Surprised you are having a different experience.

Autopilot/Nav on Autopilot/FSD beta has done this for years. The lane centering has become somewhat less aggressive recently, but the vehicle still moves over into the merge lane at on-ramps unless there’s a dashed white line. Since the Nav system knows where the on-ramps are, why can’t the vehicle guide on the left lane markers instead of centering? This has annoyed me for some time, especially when there’s traffic in the on-ramp lane.

I have been on FSD beta for two cars for a long time and the merge issue when there are no dotted lines has greatly improved for me. Surprised you are having a different experience.
I’m on 2023.20.9 using Autopilot and autosteer and it does it EVERY SINGLE TIME at a merge on Virginia highways. Excuse my crude iPad sketch of what I’m talking about.

IMG_2277.png