Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Pot holes and debris

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

zambono

Mar 1, 2016
DC
I am going to assume autopilot can't detect major pot holes or debris on the road such as a tire tread, trash etc. if a car in front maneuvers around a pot hole or debris what will autopilot do? What if there is a vehicle next to you in the same situation?

I am going to assume autopilot can't detect major pot holes or debris on the road such as a tire tread, trash etc. if a car in front maneuvers around a pot hole or debris what will autopilot do? What if there is a vehicle next to you in the same situation?

Autopilot is not presently capable of avoiding obstacles on the road. I'd think the answer to your question about a car in front would depend on what it is most focuesed on at the time - what is blue on the display. If it's following lane lines, I'd expect it to ignore the other car's maneuver. If it is following the other car instead, I'd expect it to follow the other car...

It isn't immediately obvious how much the current package can see road debris and potholes. It is possible that the current cars will learn to dodge in the future - and it's possible that they can't see enough, fast enough.

• Disagree
Reactions: Texas
OP, also be especially careful in construction zones where you may not know exactly what type of road conditions are ahead. Uneven roads, potholes, sometimes questionable lane markings, cones, or narrower-than normal lanes at interstate speeds can all be a bit spooky, especially if traffic comes zooming up from behind you and/or you are navigating a curve when Autosteer is trying to compensate for bad road conditions. In other words, I've been there and did that on a heavily-travelled interstate exactly once. I learned my lesson and go back into manual (non-autosteer) operation trusting only myself in construction zones or where problematic road surfaces start to appear.

Yes, no pothole, glass, or small debris detection. I love AP but it has its limits. After experimenting in different scenarios, I now use AP almost exclusively when freeway driving. There are far fewer things that can go wrong—potholes, cars dashing out from driveways, stop lights and stop signs, poor lane markings, bicycles, kids, and pets veering into my lane, parked trucks that partially obscure the roadway in which AP has centered the vehicle, etc.

Reactions: Vic4Model3
AP does NOT discriminate against debris or pot holes and will charge right through anything like that in its path. That is where manually taking over comes in!
Agree. I find AP to be scarey at best especially on interstates with construction going on, or what is common here in my part of So Cal, is a permanent combination of painted lane lines on concrete, across newer dark asphalt/composite material used to (likely less expensively) abut/widen roads and intersections that don't align with the lanes. While I attempt to carefully try AP (with hands more firmly on the wheel and foot ready in low traffic conditions) once each new firmware release -- not knowing if perhaps AP logic may have been changed -- these sort of conditions remain IMHO well beyond what AP is capable of handling on its own, especially in heavier traffic with vehicles on either side traveling at higher speed. My experience with AP is not great with unusual conditions, and my needing to take manual control as I get too close to another vehicle, veer outside my true lane of travel, or perhaps AP seeking to retain its path over more significant bumps, makes me very uncomfortable. Therefore, I remain vigilant and proactively turn AP off wherever I see potholes, construction, or more unusual pavement ahead, and consider turning it back on further down the road as conditions seem to be more consistent. AP 1.0 is good in "normal" conditions, but IMHO can't yet handle enough of the anomalies that may occur on daily driving for me to EVER become complacent as it seems some unfortunate owners are already doing.