Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Press Kit published, then pulled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AmpedRealtor

Jun 30, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Very strange. I was just looking at it, and when I hit the back button to get back to it, it just took me to the Model S page. Now we have some good stuff for the conspiracy theorists to chew on for the next day or so until v7 is released! ;)

Looks like you won't be required to keep your hands on the wheel, it is just recommended.

http://electrek.co/2015/10/14/tesla...v7-0-slide-presentation-and-audio-conference/

During the presentation, Musk said that in good road conditions “people may (removed their hands from the steering-wheel), but we don’t advise that.”

The presentation emphasized that the system will be a real help in high traffic situations. It works “super-well in gridlock traffic – you can almost take your hands off the wheel…almost…some people will”

Interesting.... I wonder if they thought better of some of their wording that is causing much kerfuffle here?
more likely they just didn't want it to come out until after the press conference is done, I bet it'll be back up in an hour

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like you won't be required to keep your hands on the wheel, it is just recommended.

http://electrek.co/2015/10/14/tesla...v7-0-slide-presentation-and-audio-conference/
Tesla currently has a team of about 50 employees working on the software of the Autopilot, while a team of 100 people have been working on the hardware package. The whole company has surpassed 14,000 employees worldwide.
And one summer student working on the user interface...

This is new info (at least to me):

Musk referred to each Model S owners as an “expert trainer”, which will feed the collective network intelligence of the fleet simply by driving the vehicle on the Autopilot.
Every week the system should get better by updating the driving algorithm. Musk said that Model S owners could add ~1 million miles of new data every day.

The first picture was changed.

Old
Autopilot and v7 coming this Thursday! (15-10-15) - Page 32
Tesla_7_FirstPicture_Before.png

New
Model S Autopilot Press Kit | Tesla Motors
Tesla_7_FirstPicture_After.png

I don't know if the new rendering is just "avoiding double clock" or showing that the bottom row clock is gone generally. I tend to think the latter, because the temperature is missing from the bottom row as well in the new image.

Random observation: Who sets CC at 54 in a 60 zone? ;)

Old
New

I don't know if the new rendering is just "avoiding double clock" or showing that the bottom row clock is gone generally. I tend to think the latter, because the temperature is missing from the bottom row as well in the new image.

Random observation: Who sets CC at 54 in a 60 zone? ;)

Interesting find. I thought the instantaneous power gauge was nice, considering we lost the center gauge. The temp/battery and gear/clock do seem unusually close to each other in that first image, though.

Edit: Also, PR folks set CC at 54 in a 60, that's who. :biggrin:

Not everyone's obsessed with 5s and 10s. :tongue:

I am, though. It frustrated me the other day when I tried to engage it at 65 and got 64, then did the quick tap up to supposedly get a 1mph increase and it locked to 66mph. :cursing:
You're not saying this, but that's a pretty good explanation - the driver wanted 55 and got stuck with "close enough" and moved on. ;)

While I won't go to the length that others have in their frustration, I really hope Tesla didn't remove the clock and outside temp from the main dashboard display... I mean seriously... We'll know for sure soon but if that's the case then maybe we can convince them to add it back with the next update... Seems sort of odd to me that Tesla would remove those things...

Jeff

I don't think it implies a change in the actual product/firmware, but there's another visual difference I noticed:
The new image doesn't give us the nice rendering of the curved road and the tilted wheel icon.

- - - Updated - - -

Glad the stupid clock made the press release..
I'll try to reserve judgement, but I call that a miss as well. I've got a web browser on the 17" that's had a favorite to a clock app for over 2 years now (thanks to TMC). ;)