Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Pricing Before/After Delivery- 3 Prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning my order for next week with a June delivery, I reached out to my Tesla OA for some clarification on how the time at which you order Autopilot affects price. Like many here, I had some reservations about AP2 parity and was wondering how large of a window I could really build for myself to "see how it goes" before committing to the cost. The idea was, how close to June delivery could I get before pulling the trigger without additional cost?

I was aware that the configurator site indicates that it's 5k, or 6k after delivery- which might lead one to think that you could wait right up until delivery and pay only the 5k. I was also aware, though, that upon ordering, you have a 7 day window to make changes, after which there's a $500 change fee. I wasn't sure how these rules played together (if at all)- so that's what I asked. What I learned was there are essentially three price points at which you can order autopilot:

Order date to Order Date +7: $5000
Order date +7 to Delivery Date: $5500 (You still get the 5k price for ordering before delivery, but also pay the change fee)
Anytime after Delivery: $6000

Apologies if this is obvious to others or if it's discussed elsewhere- but as a newbie this info helped me decide how long it might make sense to see where AP2 goes before committing. Hope it's helpful to others.

When your car is close to entering production you won't be able to make any changes, even for 500
It's hard to predict exactly when that will happen
I know when we tried to make a change before we were informed we had actually entered production we were denied. They said everything had been sourced..

• Disagree
Reactions: Shopi01
When your car is close to entering production you won't be able to make any changes, even for 500
I know when we tried to make a change before we were informed we had actually entered production we were denied. They said everything had been sourced..

I wonder if that's the case for AP2, since it's only a matter of software. I'm purely speculating but, since all MSs are produced with full AP2 hardware, one probably could make the change right up to delivery (and still pay the change fee). At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla denies the request when it's so close to delivery. No telling.

I'm curious about what you had tried to change on your order. I understand there's a finite window when it relates to hardware (e.g., if you elect different seats or a different roof).

Considering ordering EAP doesn't at all change the hardware that's assembled at the factory (the car always gets the hardware, just a matter of whether they activate it via software), I wonder if this "no changes, even for a fee" window would really apply to EAP?

I'm curious about what you had tried to change on your order. I understand there's a finite window when it relates to hardware (e.g., if you elect different seats or a different roof).

Considering ordering EAP doesn't at all change the hardware that's assembled at the factory (the car always gets the hardware, just a matter of whether they activate it via software), I wonder if this "no changes, even for a fee" window would really apply to EAP?
Tried to change seats
In your case it's just a software change, so dunno
Tesla's policies don't make much sense sometimes

This may, or may not be pertinent to your situation.
I ordered an inventory car, it had EAP, but not FSD.
I requested the upgrade to FSD prior to delivery. My service center was able to do it for the lesser price, and they even were able to update the Monroney sticker so that it reflected all the features.