Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot probably saved my bacon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had just merged onto the beltline highway and engaged EAP at a follow distance of 4. Due to the terrain (hill crest) and the size of the car in front of me I couldn't see the traffic further up the road.

Suddenly EAP starts aggressively braking. Not quite emergency, but hard. In a fraction of a second I'm thinking, "WTF no brake lights on the car in front - Y U DO DIS??!" Well it had seen two cars ahead and realized the speed delta was great. The driver in front of me violently swerved into the adjacent lane - luckily unoccupied. Of course my car slows down appropriately, handling everything like a champ.

Had I been driving my old 2009 BMW X3 it may have been a different story.

You always hear these stories about AP doing things badly. Well, it also does things correctly more often than not.

Just thought I'd share.

I can’t blame the driver just ahead of you. His reaction time is human reaction time, but yours is radar plus computer reaction time.

There have been several other such anecdotes of how AP saved them on similar situations

Reactions: cizUK
I can’t blame the driver just ahead of you. His reaction time is human reaction time, but yours is radar plus computer reaction time.

There have been several other such anecdotes of how AP saved them on similar situations

Yes in this area it is common for traffic to be moving along innocuously at 30 miles per hour without brake lights. If you happen to get a glimpse of traffic ahead you may think all is well (55-65 mph) when really it is not.

One of my friends was a victim of this. He came to a stop due to traffic on the freeway. Car behind swerved out of the way at the last minute. Car behind that rear ended him. So yeah accidents like this do happen.

It’s great to hear a good story about Autopilot. Glad you avoided disaster!

Last week I had my 3 kick in its collision warning (not auto braking (yet?)) when it noticed a car pull out and nearly hit the car driving in front of me. Car in front of me had to take evasive action, and I was just cooly watching from behind since my car warned me Something Bad™ was about to happen! Yeah, I've seen videos of this stuff, but it still kinda blew my mind...

• Informative
Reactions: mekberg and DR61
Had just merged onto the beltline highway and engaged EAP at a follow distance of 4. Due to the terrain (hill crest) and the size of the car in front of me I couldn't see the traffic further up the road.

Suddenly EAP starts aggressively braking. Not quite emergency, but hard. In a fraction of a second I'm thinking, "WTF no brake lights on the car in front - Y U DO DIS??!" Well it had seen two cars ahead and realized the speed delta was great. The driver in front of me violently swerved into the adjacent lane - luckily unoccupied. Of course my car slows down appropriately, handling everything like a champ.

Had I been driving my old 2009 BMW X3 it may have been a different story.

You always hear these stories about AP doing things badly. Well, it also does things correctly more often than not.

Just thought I'd share.
I am glad that helped you. Unfortunately for the rest of us we are so used to phantom braking issues that we would have likely pressed the gas pedal....

I had a similar experience on I45 with my Model S last month. I could not see two cars ahead of me but thankfully AP could and kept me from possibly rear-ending the car directly in front of me who was slow to react the car ahead of him.

Reactions: mekberg
Phantom braking is somewhat predictable in terms of location, no?
Personally I can’t predict it. It happened out of nowhere. If I see it slam the brakes and everything looks fine in front of me I will override it.

Now there are some super awesome drivers out there like that other poster above who I guess will just react just perfectly so I can’t speak for everyone.

Personally I can’t predict it. It happened out of nowhere. If I see it slam the brakes and everything looks fine in front of me I will override it.

Now there are some super awesome drivers out there like that other poster above who I guess will just react just perfectly so I can’t speak for everyone.

Wow, super awesome! I'm blushing.

While not predicting when braking will happen, it is easy to determine if the reason for the car braking has to do with a real threat or if the car interpreted a false positive.

Reactions: skitown
I do it. Stopped or hard braking, I'll hit the four way until the car behind me is closed up. I've read that in Europe some cars do it automatically.

Lots of bike trail and pedestrian crossings in and around Madison. I frequently see rear-endings. Always flashers for my safety and that of the people crossing in front. Without them other drivers assume you are slowing for no reason and try to slingshot around you.