TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Autopilot probably saved my bacon

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by mekberg, Jun 22, 2018.

1. mekberg

mekberg Member

Had just merged onto the beltline highway and engaged EAP at a follow distance of 4. Due to the terrain (hill crest) and the size of the car in front of me I couldn't see the traffic further up the road.

Suddenly EAP starts aggressively braking. Not quite emergency, but hard. In a fraction of a second I'm thinking, "WTF no brake lights on the car in front - Y U DO DIS??!" Well it had seen two cars ahead and realized the speed delta was great. The driver in front of me violently swerved into the adjacent lane - luckily unoccupied. Of course my car slows down appropriately, handling everything like a champ.

Had I been driving my old 2009 BMW X3 it may have been a different story.

You always hear these stories about AP doing things badly. Well, it also does things correctly more often than not.

Just thought I'd share.

• Like x 31
    • Love x 10
    • Informative x 5
  2. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

this is going to be a fairly frequent occurrence. happens to me all the time. lots of inattentive drivers out there.

• Like x 2
  3. Electroman

Electroman Active Member

I can’t blame the driver just ahead of you. His reaction time is human reaction time, but yours is radar plus computer reaction time.

There have been several other such anecdotes of how AP saved them on similar situations

• Like x 1
  4. mekberg

mekberg Member

Yes in this area it is common for traffic to be moving along innocuously at 30 miles per hour without brake lights. If you happen to get a glimpse of traffic ahead you may think all is well (55-65 mph) when really it is not.

5. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

One of my friends was a victim of this. He came to a stop due to traffic on the freeway. Car behind swerved out of the way at the last minute. Car behind that rear ended him. So yeah accidents like this do happen.

It’s great to hear a good story about Autopilot. Glad you avoided disaster!

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Corollary: if you are unexpectedly stopped in highway traffic, put your hazard lights on.

• Like x 9
  7. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Last week I had my 3 kick in its collision warning (not auto braking (yet?)) when it noticed a car pull out and nearly hit the car driving in front of me. Car in front of me had to take evasive action, and I was just cooly watching from behind since my car warned me Something Bad™ was about to happen! Yeah, I've seen videos of this stuff, but it still kinda blew my mind...

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. xav-

xav- Active Member

That’s the rule in France. Most drivers put their hazards on in such conditions. Not sure about elsewhere in Europe. I don’t see this in the US at all unfortunately.

• Informative x 1
  9. xav-

xav- Active Member

I am glad that helped you. Unfortunately for the rest of us we are so used to phantom braking issues that we would have likely pressed the gas pedal....

10. mekberg

mekberg Member

Phantom braking is somewhat predictable in terms of location, no?

11. Zythryn

Zythryn M3 Silver, M3 Midnight Silver

Please don’t speak for me.
    To the OP, Iam happy to hear the system worked so well. Thank you for posting!

• Like x 8
  12. alsetym

alsetym Member

My car has aleady saved it's self twice in the month i've had it...freaked out when some one blew a stopsign and when a truck in front of me had to brake hard infront of me for total chaos. Totally blew my mind on both counts.

• Like x 2
  13. jrad6515

jrad6515 Member

I had a similar experience on I45 with my Model S last month. I could not see two cars ahead of me but thankfully AP could and kept me from possibly rear-ending the car directly in front of me who was slow to react the car ahead of him.

• Like x 1
  14. xav-

xav- Active Member

Personally I can’t predict it. It happened out of nowhere. If I see it slam the brakes and everything looks fine in front of me I will override it.

Now there are some super awesome drivers out there like that other poster above who I guess will just react just perfectly so I can’t speak for everyone.

15. TT97

TT97 Member

Wow, super awesome! I'm blushing.

While not predicting when braking will happen, it is easy to determine if the reason for the car braking has to do with a real threat or if the car interpreted a false positive.

• Like x 1
  16. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

“Cool story but your cars cousin was built in a tent!”

- Tesla hater

• Funny x 1
  17. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

I hate to be a negative nancy but you shouldn't be cooking bacon while on the highway. the hotplate would probably reduce your range by 20% anyway.
    Pay attention while driving and keep both hands on the wheel.

• Funny x 3
  18. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

I do it. Stopped or hard braking, I'll hit the four way until the car behind me is closed up. I've read that in Europe some cars do it automatically.

19. mekberg

mekberg Member

Who said anything about cooking? Obvi I had a grocery haul in the frunk. :p

20. mekberg

mekberg Member

Lots of bike trail and pedestrian crossings in and around Madison. I frequently see rear-endings. Always flashers for my safety and that of the people crossing in front. Without them other drivers assume you are slowing for no reason and try to slingshot around you.