Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot pulling to left white active

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot and auto steer pulling to left on straight highway . Anyone else notice this happening. 2021 model S. Just started playing with this since last update. Maybe just me but I like to drive in middle of my lane not to the left. Maybe something I have to adjust. But when driving without auto pilot or auto steer Tesla sits in middle of lane no problem even at 70 mph.

Mine has always done this, so there is less room for the car to correct steering going aroud curves, etc. Ths causes the car to occasionally cross the center line in curves. I also feel driving left of center in the lane can increase collisions. Anyway, maybe some day Tesla will offer an option for the driver to modify the position in the lane the car drives (within limits, of course). For now, we must live with what the programmers feel is the car's correct position in a lane.

Autopilot and auto steer pulling to left on straight highway

Do you mean the car is riding closer to the left side of the lane than you think it should be?

Maybe just me but I like to drive in middle of my lane not to the left

This is likely the issue. You will probably find the car is in the center but since you sit on the left side of the car it “looks” too close. Turn on the camera view so you can see the side cameras. You will likely find the car is where it should be.

Mine has always done this, so there is less room for the car to correct steering going aroud curves, etc. Ths causes the car to occasionally cross the center line in curves. I also feel driving left of center in the lane can increase collisions. Anyway, maybe some day Tesla will offer an option for the driver to modify the position in the lane the car drives (within limits, of course). For now, we must live with what the programmers feel is the car's correct position in a lane.
Thank you. Have a service appointment 2/6 to check out the auto tire display not showing in display since last update. Tesla thinks it is the tire pressure. But drives fine without autopilot and auto steer engaged. Added that to the service comments. Tesla made me setup new appointment time.

I agree with OP. My visualization shows the car a little left of center in the lane, when the car is steering itself, to confirm my perception. Whenever I engage self steering, car suddenly pulls to the left of my driving in the center.

But when I disengage the auto pilot and auto steer the center line appears on display and car is lined up. I quest I don’t understand why when auto is engaged the center line in display disappears??

It is just an illusion when you are driving manually, you are not in the center, you are in fact slightly right of center. That center line on the display is just a graphic. Turn on the cameras a I suggested and try driving with AP and off.

Did try your suggestion. Took Tesla on a curved road 35 mph. Did just fine no pulling to the left held the center even on the slight curves. Did fine til car pulled out in front of me. Alarms went off. I stopped the experiment came home. Have driven same road with no autopilot So if it handles fine at 35 why not 65 why that pull to the left.