Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot punishment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

oktane

Oct 25, 2016
USA
I'm not a fan of the vindictive autopilot. Had an experience where while auto steer was engaged, AP2 was braking with merging traffic and I needed to accelerate to avoid collision.

The EAP was upset that I exceeded the AS speed (even though I was steering) and locked me out for the rest of the drive. There was no time to manually disengage AS before acceleration.

This "feature" is so dumb. I don't understand the logic. Makes sense to lockout if you ignore thr nag screens, but not this. I'm being punished for AP2 braking unexpectedly.

Accelerating past the speed in which Autopilot operates, which exceeds the speed limit in nearly all situations in the US, results in being locked out until you pull over and reset by placing in park and exiting the vehicle. Seems reasonable to me.

And if seems silly to me. I'm not sure what behavior the lockout is trying to modulate. No one is exceeding the AS speed for fun, it's because it can occasionally be necessary for safe operation of the vehicle.

Exceeding the speed at which autopilot was designed and tested to operate at is inherently dangerous. It would be nice if it simply throws the take over immediately warning without punishment but seeing how Cadillac super cruise also has lockouts for inattentiveness, one can only assume this is a request from the government.

It’s simple enough to avoid once you recognize the corner case.

Accelerating past the speed in which Autopilot operates, which exceeds the speed limit in nearly all situations in the US, results in being locked out until you pull over and reset by placing in park and exiting the vehicle. Seems reasonable to me.

I did not know about this feature, but given the unreliable nature of the speed limit database and no speed sign reading yet, I can see issues with this policy already then and there... not to mention the ghost braking...

As long as the car's understanding of the world is as limited as it is, it really should not be enforcing its views like that. What safety benefit is there from disabling Autopilot entirely for a drive for exceeding the assumed speed for a while?

I did not know about this feature, but given the unreliable nature of the speed limit database and no speed sign reading yet, I can see issues with this policy already then and there... not to mention the ghost braking...

As long as the car's understanding of the world is as limited as it is, it really should not be enforcing its views like that. What safety benefit is there from disabling Autopilot entirely for a drive for exceeding the assumed speed for a while?

Pushing AP past the assumed speed limit will not trigger a lockout. You must push AP past the speed of operation, 90mph, to trigger a lockout.

That still makes no sense. Why? Especially when the car has no ability to understand what happened, really.
There’s probably a reason why the top end speed is 90mph in terms of the stability of the AutoSteer algorithm or the maximum Doppler shift range that the radar can handle. Forcing the accelerator past that point should disengage Autopilot though punishing the user for that is almost certainly some regulatory request. It’s suspicious that it came right after the Joshua Brown incident.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like speed limits either, and I’ve done entire multi-hour road trips above 90mph before. But if an automation system has a limited range of operation, I still believe in respecting that.

Reactions: electracity
There’s probably a reason why the top end speed is 90mph in terms of the stability of the AutoSteer algorithm or the maximum Doppler shift range that the radar can handle. Forcing the accelerator past that point should disengage Autopilot though punishing the user for that is almost certainly some regulatory request. It’s suspicious that it came right after the Joshua Brown incident.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like speed limits either, and I’ve done entire multi-hour road trips above 90mph before. But if an automation system has a limited range of operation, I still believe in respecting that.

We seem to misunderstand each other.

I understand the speed limit.

I do not understand why exceeding it disables AP for the duration of the drive and not just for the duration of exceeded speed.

I'm not a fan of

150529160227-facebook-gif-14-custom-1.gif

I'm not a fan of the vindictive autopilot. Had an experience where while auto steer was engaged, AP2 was braking with merging traffic and I needed to accelerate to avoid collision.

The EAP was upset that I exceeded the AS speed (even though I was steering) and locked me out for the rest of the drive. There was no time to manually disengage AS before acceleration.

This "feature" is so dumb. I don't understand the logic. Makes sense to lockout if you ignore thr nag screens, but not this. I'm being punished for AP2 braking unexpectedly.
you could always just disengage the AP system.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
I'm gonna call BS on the need to occasionally exceed 90mph on US public roads for "safe operation of the vehicle".

try driving down here in south florida and you will change your opinion.

for reference the lockout above 90 is a "feature" which was introduced with AP 2.

AP 1 will flash the red hands to remind you to take over but there is no lockout of autopilot which can be re engaged as soon as the speed is less than 90.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: DrivingRockies
I think it's a bit much to expect the current system to understand why you exceeded the safe Autosteer limit and cut you some slack, or to take responsibility for the exceeding of the speed by the driver because of its inappropriate actions.

And accelerating above 90 mph to escape a situation behind you means that the situation behind you had to be moving at least 89 mph. Likely they would have hit you from behind, anyway, so indirectly it DID save you by slowing down. ;)