Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot punishment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this one scenario I didn't have time to mess with the AP controls, just steer the car and mash the accelerator.

In CA highway traffic routinely exceeds 85mph. Passing maneuvers should be conducted by at least 15% speed differential. Unlike trucks passing each other at 1mph differential at the detriment of everyone behind them.
This seems pretty suspicious. You had your hands on the wheel and your accelerator foot all the way down, and you didn't have time to flip the AP level with your finger?

Also, where does that 15% speed differential come from? Did you make it up?

Perhaps the punishment for breaking the rules should be graduated: 5 minutes without AP for the first offense, 10 for the second, and finally the current parking requirement for the third.

To me, that would make sense for both attentiveness control and exceeding the 90 mph rule with AS engaged.

By the way, it is legal in every state I know about to exceed the speed limit for short bursts to overtake another vehicle or to avoid a dangerous situation.

Reactions: croman
Why on earth are people attacking the OP? I ran into this issue yesterday. It was *incredibly* obnoxious. I really can't think of a good reason for this "punishment".

I don't want or need my car to be a nanny. The autosetter disengagement for inattentiveness is one thing. But disabling AP for taking manual control? Makes no sense at all.

Resetting both screens did not bring it back. Only thing that worked was putting it in park (which I couldn't do until ~2 hours later in my drive). Ridiculous.

Attachments

• IMG_8437.JPG
    IMG_8437.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Love
Reactions: oktane and Naonak
I would like to see legal precedent for that in any state as you described. It is not true for California. There is no "grace period" for exceeding the speed limit.
Actually lots of precedent and law here for legally exceeding the speed limit to safely overtake a slow moving vehicle. Here's one from WA:

RCW 46.61.425: Minimum speed regulation—Passing slow moving vehicle.

In any case, it is up to the licensed driver to make this decision. Not tesla. Not the car. And they should NOT be punished for it.

• Love
Reactions: oktane
Why on earth are people attacking the OP? I ran into this issue yesterday. It was *incredibly* obnoxious...

Welcome to TMC; attacking others seems to be a significant part of the culture here.. and the reason I have a great many people on Ignore. I highly recommend you start building your own IGNORE list, it makes TMC a far better experience.

I would have thought fun was the most common reason.

Sometimes you just need to 'whup it out'. :D

I was in the left lane passing a truck uphill on Baker Grade in a 'Brand X' car. A BMW Squirrel Edition (M3/M5? Dunno, dunt care) was riding my bumper at 75 mph. I quietly grabbed 3rd gear, and cruised gently at ~4500 rpm. The factory cutouts only open past 1/2 throttle.

So I bided my time. When we were clear of the truck (OK, I lingered a bit to piss him off), I changed to the right lane. As he came up to my door, on this 6% grade, I stayed just a 1/2 car length ahead. He rose to 90. I'm still there. He probably floored it then? Dunno. I paced him to about 110mph, then it was hammer-time. Grabbed 4th and unleashed the dogs of war. The car gets illegally loud with OEM exhaust when you do that, but at the same time gives you a solid push back in your seat. I touch redline, about a buck fifty, lift, and short short shift to 6th. I slowed down in the right lane to about 75 mph, and soon after, WHOOSSSH!! An excellent ricer-fly-by. It would have impressed most folk who live in their mom's basement, that's for sure.

Childish, but what you going to? :D

• Disagree
  • Love
Reactions: oktane and kort677
But disabling AP for taking manual control? Makes no sense at all.

Resetting both screens did not bring it back. Only thing that worked was putting it in park (which I couldn't do until ~2 hours later in my drive). Ridiculous.
the ap does not lock you out for taking over, if you did trigger the lockout why couldn't you just pull off, put the car into park for a moment and reset the AP?

Actually lots of precedent and law here for legally exceeding the speed limit to safely overtake a slow moving vehicle. Here's one from WA:

RCW 46.61.425: Minimum speed regulation—Passing slow moving vehicle.

In any case, it is up to the licensed driver to make this decision. Not tesla. Not the car. And they should NOT be punished for it.
you are correct, in some situations you could get away with exceeding the speed limits in order to complete a pass however at some point it could be deemed as reckless and you could be cited and then you'll need to prove it wasn't reckless.

Reactions: McRat
the ap does not lock you out for taking over, if you did trigger the lockout why couldn't you just pull off, put the car into park for a moment and reset the AP?

I generally try and avoid pulling into the breakdown lane on highways unless I absolutely have to. Not to mention my wife would have killed me ;-)

It was annoying to not have AP for a few hours, but not the end of the world. And certainly not worth adding time to the trip/pulling off an exit/to the side of the road to fix.

I tapped it into park while at a standstill in stop and go traffic a few hours after it kicked me out and it worked fine after.

Again though, completely unnecessary to have to deal with that, and definitely annoying.

Reactions: McRat
you are correct, in some situations you could get away with exceeding the speed limits in order to complete a pass however at some point it could be deemed as reckless and you could be cited and then you'll need to prove it wasn't reckless.

• In our state, California, a LEO can write you for Reckless, CVC 23103, at the speed limit +15 mph, which is sort of an informal rule, but judges will allow it. This can apply at any speed in a parking lot as well today. Of course it can apply to any speed on a public road if the officer deems your driving reckless.
  • We also have a statute in the CVC for "Over 100mph" CVC 22348.
  • And last but not least, if there is a second car involved, it can be written as CVC 23109x "Speed Contest" that has no MPH qualifier, it can happen at less than the posted speed limit. While this law is very old, and was written to stop event organizers from shutting off a public road for racing purposes before drag strips were popular, it is used now for street racing.

All three of these are misdemeanors and are as bad if not worse than a Drunk Driving CVC 23152 (aka 502), and can involve impounding your vehicle, arrest, jail time, license suspension, 2 points on your DMV record, and a heavy fine.

So play safe out there. Even minivans today are fast enough to get any of those 3 speeding tickets which are not infractions.

Yes, doing a 2.5 second 0-60 mph blast in a 60 mph zone can get you a 23103 or 23109 (if another car is present). Or both if the officer is having a bad day.

• In our state, California, a LEO can write you for Reckless, CVC 23103, at the speed limit +15 mph, which is sort of an informal rule, but judges will allow it. This can apply at any speed in a parking lot as well today. Of course it can apply to any speed on a public road if the officer deems your driving reckless.
  • We also have a statute in the CVC for "Over 100mph" CVC 22348.
  • And last but not least, if there is a second car involved, it can be written as CVC 23109x "Speed Contest" that has no MPH qualifier, it can happen at less than the posted speed limit. While this law is very old, and was written to stop event organizers from shutting off a public road for racing purposes before drag strips were popular, it is used now for street racing.
All three of these are misdemeanors and are as bad if not worse than a Drunk Driving CVC 23152 (aka 502), and can involve impounding your vehicle, arrest, jail time, license suspension, 2 points on your DMV record, and a heavy fine.

So play safe out there. Even minivans today are fast enough to get any of those 3 speeding tickets which are not infractions.

Yes, doing a 2.5 second 0-60 mph blast in a 60 mph zone can get you a 23103 or 23109 (if another car is present).
that's all very interesting for those who are in CA, fortunately most of us are not there and do not suffer from some of their more inane regulations.

I generally try and avoid pulling into the breakdown lane on highways unless I absolutely have to. Not to mention my wife would have killed me ;-)

It was annoying to not have AP for a few hours, but not the end of the world. And certainly not worth adding time to the trip/pulling off an exit/to the side of the road to fix.

I tapped it into park while at a standstill in stop and go traffic a few hours after it kicked me out and it worked fine after.

Again though, completely unnecessary to have to deal with that, and definitely annoying.

Pulling into the emergency lane is one of the most dangerous things you can legally on a public road. Avoid it like the plague. A young woman had her legs cut off right in front of our home when a sleepy driver slammed into her van parked completely off the road. She was behind the van. The sleepy driver was not cited by the CHP. Nor would he help me stop the bleeding. Not impressed with him even a little bit. He should have been fired.

• Informative
Reactions: oktane
that's all very interesting for those who are in CA, fortunately most of us are not there and do not suffer from some of their more inane regulations.

I'd read your vehicle code carefully.

• 316.192 Reckless driving up to 90 days in a Florida jail first offense. Your car will be impounded normally and you will pay impound fees.
  • 50 mph over the speed limit is mandatory appearance before a judge in Florida. He can do whatever he wants, fine starts at over $1000 and is normally washed down with a suspension.
  • 316.191 Racing on highways - misdemeanor, applies to racers, passengers, or spectators, private property or public roads.

There are probably others, those were easy to find.

Unlike California, if a trained experienced officer sees you visually traveling at a speed of over 100 mph by his judgement, you fall under the mandatory clause. His testimony is enough without a clocking.

Last edited:
I'd read your vehicle code carefully.

• 316.192 Reckless driving up to 90 days in a Florida jail first offense. Your car will be impounded normally and you will pay impound fees.
  • 50 mph over the speed limit is mandatory appearance before a judge in Florida. He can do whatever he wants, fine starts at over $1000 and is normally washed down with a suspension.
  • 316.191 Racing on highways - misdemeanor, applies to racers, passengers, or spectators, private property or public roads.

There are probably others, those were easy to find.

Unlike California, if a trained experienced officer sees you visually traveling at a speed of over 100 mph by his judgement, you fall under the mandatory clause. His testimony is enough without a clocking.
nice research, fwiw on most interstates here in FLA the speed limit is 70 mph, and many secondary roads are posted at 65, going 50 MPH over is IMHO dangerous, unsafe and in the tesla just a huge waste of range. my boy racer days are long past and reckless driving is quite subjective and could easily be contested.
I'm just curious, what constitutes a "trained experienced" officer? that title would become a huge part of any defense if someone was hit with charges.

nice research, fwiw on most interstates here in FLA the speed limit is 70 mph, and many secondary roads are posted at 65, going 50 MPH over is IMHO dangerous, unsafe and in the tesla just a huge waste of range. my boy racer days are long past and reckless driving is quite subjective and could easily be contested.
I'm just curious, what constitutes a "trained experienced" officer? that title would become a huge part of any defense if someone was hit with charges.

There is a specific definition in the FL vehicle code of an experienced officer, and it's pretty high level. I'd look it up if I were going to fight FL ticket.

I remember the first time driving into Florida via the eastbound 10 fwy. As soon as I crossed in, there was a big electric billboard:

WELCOME TO FLORIDA
NOW SLOW DOWN

:D

There is a specific definition in the FL vehicle code of an experienced officer, and it's pretty high level. I'd look it up if I were going to fight FL ticket.

I remember the first time driving into Florida via the eastbound 10 fwy. As soon as I crossed in, there was a big electric billboard:

WELCOME TO FLORIDA
NOW SLOW DOWN

:D
IHMO this one is more important
image_2.png