Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I picked up my car yesterday. The cameras calibrated pretty quickly, about 5 miles. I turned on autopilot and tried to change lanes. The highway was pretty empty. It recognizes the lane change and started moving over. It then canceled and aggressively swerved back in to the original lane. There wasn’t a car anywhere. Can anyone explain why it did this? Possible the cameras didn’t calibrate correctly?

full fsd yes?

possible the cameras/system was not yet calibrated. car may have seen something it didnt like. tough to say. maybe it did like your input? maybe there were some lane markings it didn't feel safe changing lanes in. if the car feels its in some danger , it will put up its hands and say nope - you take over .

anyway don't fret, if this is your first tesla you will need some time (and manual reading) to get familiar with it and its idiosyncrasies.

full fsd yes?

possible the cameras/system was not yet calibrated. car may have seen something it didnt like. tough to say. maybe it did like your input? maybe there were some lane markings it didn't feel safe changing lanes in. if the car feels its in some danger , it will put up its hands and say nope - you take over .

anyway don't fret, if this is your first tesla you will need some time (and manual reading) to get familiar with it and its idiosyncrasies.

Yes full self driving and first tesla. Yes I was definitely confused as there wasn’t anything that I saw that seemed questionable. It was half way in the new lane. I thought that I would ask since I am so green with this car.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
hey brotha we were all there at one point. some more "seasoned" members will also post up.

maybe worth a search for "phantom breaking" - that's been discussed heavily here. maybe you experienced this. also your self driving options that you selected may also play a part in things, so just experiment. :)

It's going to sound like spoiling the fun, but I would strongly advise you to drive the car at least a week before you tackle getting familiar with AP/NOA. It's not just the car that is calibrating itself, it's you as well. AP/FSD are both great driving assists, but when they get out of their depth (and they will), they rely on you, the driver, to sort out the mess. And this means you need to be really, really familiar with the car and its eccentricities and handling .. because when AP hands back control, you only have a second to two to react.

Once you are happy, just try TACC first .. turn it on, off .. see how it reacts to traffic. Then add autosteer, preferably on a quiet freeway first, then on more congested roads. Finally, add NOA, and study the various options, get to "feel" how the car behaves in different traffic conditions. You need to be aware of upcoming traffic that AP/NOA will not handle well, and anticipate when you might need to be more vigilant and/or take back control.

You should treat AP/NOA as if it were your child learning to drive .. they are in the driving seat but you have to be the eyes for situations that the car/child will not be able to handle.

I'm sure you want to play with your new "toy", but remember it should always be safety first. It won't spoil the fun, just slow it down a bit.

It's going to sound like spoiling the fun, but I would strongly advise you to drive the car at least a week before you tackle getting familiar with AP/NOA. It's not just the car that is calibrating itself, it's you as well. AP/FSD are both great driving assists, but when they get out of their depth (and they will), they rely on you, the driver, to sort out the mess. And this means you need to be really, really familiar with the car and its eccentricities and handling .. because when AP hands back control, you only have a second to two to react.

Once you are happy, just try TACC first .. turn it on, off .. see how it reacts to traffic. Then add autosteer, preferably on a quiet freeway first, then on more congested roads. Finally, add NOA, and study the various options, get to "feel" how the car behaves in different traffic conditions. You need to be aware of upcoming traffic that AP/NOA will not handle well, and anticipate when you might need to be more vigilant and/or take back control.

You should treat AP/NOA as if it were your child learning to drive .. they are in the driving seat but you have to be the eyes for situations that the car/child will not be able to handle.

I'm sure you want to play with your new "toy", but remember it should always be safety first. It won't spoil the fun, just slow it down a bit.

Thanks for the tips. I am used to Tacc as it is similar to the adaptive cruse that was on my last car. I did use auto pilot today and seemed fine but I will do what you said as I though the car ride a little to the right in the lane than what I am used to. Thanks for the help.

Yep it felt like I as the driver was in the center of the lane instead of offset to the left.

Normally, the car rides in the center of the lane, but PEOPLE dont drive in the center of the lane, so it feels different than what they are used to. Of course it could be something else, but if you have someone follow you and turn it on while you are feeling like you are "driving too far right", I would bet if you called them using bluetooth and asked where you are, they would say "right in the middle of the lane",

• Informative
I had this happen a lot at first, and a big part of the problem was that I didn't realize that I have to click the turn signal the whole way down. I was holding it before the last detent and sometimes releasing too soon. If you push the whole way down and then release, it takes it from there.

Earlier software versions seemed to have more trouble with the car actually aborting the lane change, but I've had it happen maybe once in the last 3 months.

I tried my first AP drive home from work today in the dark and it was not as smooth as going to work in the day light. The car stuttered inexplicably during a lane change with nothing around and I had to take over. Tried a few times to get it back on AP afterward but it followed too closely and suggested lane changes when cars were too close. up to this point i had a few good experiences with AP during the day but it seems night isnt the same experience.

I tried my first AP drive home from work today in the dark and it was not as smooth as going to work in the day light. The car stuttered inexplicably during a lane change with nothing around and I had to take over. Tried a few times to get it back on AP afterward but it followed too closely and suggested lane changes when cars were too close. up to this point i had a few good experiences with AP during the day but it seems night isnt the same experience.

A few months makes a big difference. I have had my car 4 months now and don’t cover the accelerator any more. I have had zero issues at night. You can truly tell that the nural net learns with its performance.

A few months makes a big difference. I have had my car 4 months now and don’t cover the accelerator any more. I have had zero issues at night. You can truly tell that the nural net learns with its performance.

Except that it doesnt, though your neural net might have :)

It's a common misconception that the cars NN learns from you (or it) driving your car. This is not true. NN training only occurs at Tesla, and the NN is only updated as a result of software updates. To be sure, Tesla do incorporate changes based on data they get from the fleet, but this is carefully analyzed at the mother ship before contributing to the training of the NN for the next software update.

Reactions: Phlier