Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone.

I have had my model 3 for about two months now and have been using autopilot during my daily commute with very little issues up until yesterday.

I was on a 4 lane interstate, with slow traffic in the far right lane for an exit. I was in the second lane from the left when the cars started phantom breaking. I then force a lane change with the blinker to the passing lane, far left. It then suggested to move back into my original lane with slower moving traffic. At this point I turned off autopilot. About 200 yard later i turned it back on and I had massive phantom breaking event again 70 down to 45 I had to reset the cruise to be the proper speed also. Then during a lane change a warning came up saying something like “attempting maneuver.”

Anyone experience this warning?

There are many incidents of phantom breaking.
This wasn’t in a construction area was it...either previously or current? I’ve being doing 80 on the interstate and had it brake to 45 when the interstate supposedly had a lower temporary speed limit for construction. Thing is, when they lifted the temporary lower limit, but it hadn’t made it back to Tesla yet. That’s why speed limit recognition is so important.

Reactions: Rroskey
There are many incidents of phantom breaking.
This wasn’t in a construction area was it...either previously or current? I’ve being doing 80 on the interstate and had it brake to 45 when the interstate supposedly had a lower temporary speed limit for construction. Thing is, when they lifted the temporary lower limit, but it hadn’t made it back to Tesla yet. That’s why speed limit recognition is so important.

No there hasn’t been any construction in the area. I drive this route everyday this is the first time it had an issue here. I have had phantom breaking before but not to this extent. When the car suggested a lane change into slower moving traffic was alarming to.

The warning I got is in the manual and says that the car doesn’t know what’s going on and that I needed to take control.

Aside from phantom braking which has persisted in one way or another, everything else is consistent with my experience. I haven't been affected by the shut downs and have been commuting 60+ miles a day purely on NOA. With the last couple updates starting when the "stay in passing lane" option became available, my NOA has regressed back several months. My car no longer recognizes sections of HOV/Carpool when it used to (same route I take daily) and makes erratic lane changes in and out of the HOV lane. The warning message you get is pretty standard when the car is attempting to make a lane change and there is some degree of uncertainty.

Reactions: Rroskey
...phantom breaking...

Phantom brakings may sound random but sometimes there's a pattern such as:

.same location
.up coming overhead sign, overpass, bridge...

You just have to be prepared to press your accelerator.

That's a limitation for all systems on the market using the radar system.

To solve that problem, they want to transition to LIDAR, or for Tesla: TeslaVision.

...It then suggested to move back into my original lane with slower moving traffic..

Before it makes its own judgment for an Auto Lane Change, it would give you a message about why it will want to do it such as "to follow route", "avoid cones"...

...“attempting maneuver.”..

It might need help for an Auto Lane Change in situations that it doesn't think it knows how to do it safely.