Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think - I hope - that automatic emergency braking would kick in. Similar radar is capable of detecting pedestrians pedestrians at 100m, who presumably have about the same radar cross section as a deer.

I haven't read of a test case yet, and I have no particular desire to experiment, but if it doesn't react this way now it probably will at some point in the future.
As I mentioned above, I use AP 90% for my highway driving. That number would be slightly higher even if I knew for certain about animals. I often go to the cottage at night, but won't use AP if it's really dark (no street lights) as I know there is a bunch of wildlife in the area.

Late in 2015, I hit a deer in my ICE vehicle (lucky to be alive), so I do have some concerns about AP.

Have you ever tried those Deer Whistles that you can get from Canadian Tire? I used to have a set on my F150 and I was always amazed to see wildlife (mostly birds) disperse 200m in front of my vehicle. Never came close to hitting any animals when I had them on. Without them I came close a few times, and actually hit a small animal once.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
As I mentioned above, I use AP 90% for my highway driving. That number would be slightly higher even if I knew for certain about animals. I often go to the cottage at night, but won't use AP if it's really dark (no street lights) as I know there is a bunch of wildlife in the area.

Late in 2015, I hit a deer in my ICE vehicle (lucky to be alive), so I do have some concerns about AP.

So you're driving in conditions you think you might hit deer in, and you're not using Autopilot at those times because you aren't sure if AEB will save you?

I'd be more likely to use AP in those conditions - because not having to manage my speed and lane position gives me more time/attention to spend on watching the tree line and the road far in front of me to catch the deer while I have time to react.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Have you ever tried those Deer Whistles that you can get from Canadian Tire? I used to have a set on my F150 and I was always amazed to see wildlife (mostly birds) disperse 200m in front of my vehicle. Never came close to hitting any animals when I had them on. Without them I came close a few times, and actually hit a small animal once.

All the science I've seen says deer don't hear at high enough frequencies for the whistles to work - here's an article about it:

How well do deer hear?

I've only ever hit deer while having those Canadian tire "deer whistles" on my cars. I often got hand me down cars from my parents. My dad swore by them. I'm convinced they whistle at the deer to come a running! :rolleyes:

So you're driving in conditions you think you might hit deer in, and you're not using Autopilot at those times because you aren't sure if AEB will save you?

I'd be more likely to use AP in those conditions - because not having to manage my speed and lane position gives me more time/attention to spend on watching the tree line and the road far in front of me to catch the deer while I have time to react.
If I'm not using AP, and I let go out the gas pedal, I slow door. Probably better.

I don't think I'd react fast evoogh if I was on AP

Any idea what would happen if let's say a deer jumped in front of the car?
This happened to us on our road trip to North Dakota. We were driving south on 281 from Jamestown ND to Aberdeen SD. It's a two lane highway with 65 MPH speed limits. There was no traffic in sight so I was using AutoPilot and did not have my hands on the wheel. We were traveling at appoximately 7:00 PM but it was still light out. The deer came onto the road from the left side and I saw him just as he approached the center line. I quickly grabbed the wheel and somehow decided to veer left (which was the right choice). The deer continued across into our lane and the Model X swung just behind him. My wife said that it appeared the deer was trying to jump out of the way as we passed within inches of his back side. If I had just stomped on the brakes or tried to swerve to the right I would have hit him dead on.

I don't know if the emergency braking would have kicked in (I doubt it) nor if the AutoSteer would have detected the deer in time for me to miss him primarily because he came up from the left side so quickly. If he had been standing in our lane, the system may have detected him and stopped.

I don't know if the emergency braking would have kicked in (I doubt it) nor if the AutoSteer would have detected the deer in time for me to miss him primarily because he came up from the left side so quickly. If he had been standing in our lane, the system may have detected him and stopped.

Neither AutoPilot nor TACC can recognize non-moving objects nor objects moving directly across the car's direction of travel. That's why the guy in Turkey crashed into the back of a stopped car and why the guy in Florida drove under the semi trailer. Someone posted a test with AP on a private road where his friend walked out in front of the slow-moving Model S (minimum AP speed) only to discover that the car apparently did not see him. AP is not designed to be an autonomous driving system.

Is there a list of situations auto pilot doesn't handle? The only one I've noticed is if you're following a car in blue and the car vacates your lane, it doesn't track to the next car.
From the owners manual:

Limitations

Autosteer is particularly unlikely to operate as intended in the following situations:
  • Autosteer is unable to accurately determine lane markings due to poor visibility (heavy rain, snow, fog, etc.), or an obstructed, covered, or damaged camera or sensor.
  • When driving on hills.
  • When approaching a toll booth.
  • The road has sharp curves or is excessively rough.
  • Bright light (such as direct sunlight) is interfering with the camera's view.
  • The sensors are affected by other electrical equipment or devices that generate ultrasonic waves.
Warning: Many unforeseen circumstances can impair the operation of Autosteer. Always keep this in mind and remember that as a result, Autosteer may not steer Model X appropriately. Always drive attentively and be prepared to take immediate action.